The 7 Private Lines

Bracamonte

The Green Line buses were particularly bad in terms of emissions...I remember a number of reports about how so many of the buses would fail emissions tests, especially the RTS's. There would be a lot of backlash today from environmental groups if the buses kept spewing that disgusting black smog every time they accelerated.

Some of you people put the MTA on a pedestal, saying the former Private Lines are better off being run by them. What bull....! I'm with College Point for 32yrs and have seen the MTA run it into the ground the past 2yrs. When it was the Privates, management and union worked side by side to get things done. The MTA has the mentality that it's LARGE AND IN CHARGE, treating it's employees like dirt( at least at College Point) and creating a hostile environment. Can't wait to get the F.. out of that dysfunctional depot in 3yrs.

The Green Line buses were particularly bad in terms of emissions...I remember a number of reports about how so many of the buses would fail emissions tests, especially the RTS's. There would be a lot of backlash today from environmental groups if the buses kept spewing that disgusting black smog every time they accelerated.
Yep.You can see the residue the smoke leaves on the bottom back bumper of the bus.It was bad at Green Lines as well as Triboro,but not as much.

They didnt take away triboro`s CNG facility,it blew up in an accident some years ago.

No, they were in the process of decommissioning the CNG facilities. I think all the RTS CNGs were already moved to Spring Creek.

Then there was the explosion. Thankfully no CNG buses were involved or that could've added to the initial explosion.

103 Wouldn't be so screw up right now.RTS CNG would've been still running.The only good thing about the 103 right most of their buses are Orion V cng.

Riders still have the BM2...

I really doubt in the long run that it would be worth keeping the CNG RTSs. THose would've been replaced eventually.

As for the Q53, they really should've just added only Jamaica and Liberty Avs and leave the line alone. That I do agree made the line worse.

No, they were in the process of decommissioning the CNG facilities. I think all the RTS CNGs were already moved to Spring Creek.

Then there was the explosion. Thankfully no CNG buses were involved or that could've added to the initial explosion.

But from the look of one of the photos,they did lose a bus or two.

Some of you people put the MTA on a pedestal, saying the former Private Lines are better off being run by them. What bull....! I'm with College Point for 32yrs and have seen the MTA run it into the ground the past 2yrs. When it was the Privates, management and union worked side by side to get things done. The MTA has the mentality that it's LARGE AND IN CHARGE, treating it's employees like dirt( at least at College Point) and creating a hostile environment. Can't wait to get the F.. out of that dysfunctional depot in 3yrs.

Yup...some of the private lines would have been fine on their own, the biggest examples being the New York Bus Service and Liberty Lines, who had Fishbowls (NYBS only) and MCI Classics, some of the oldest public transportation fleet being run in New York City, yet they did a damn fine job.

But from the look of one of the photos,they did lose a bus or two.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did. TriBoro was terrible then and even under new management they're still bad. IMO, LaGuardia=POS depot that should be closed down.

The Private Lines would still have the same buses(GMC RTS). They wouldn't have Orion Hybrids(OG/NG) from the MTA. Q10 wouldn't have Limited stop service(like before the takeover), also Q6 Limited stop service(just recently), and especially Q113 Limited stop service. I think that they should've kept the (GMC RTS Nova) buses.

Jamiaca Buses is the best, Their RTS both GMC and TMC as well as the classics were always great, JB even did a good job on the A/C units of their buses, Riding an 1986 GMC RTS 04 with good A/C is something you don't get with any other bus, Liberty Lines and NYBS as well as QSC were the best, The MTA should have only taken over Green Lines and Triboro.

Actually, what the MTA should've done was keep the JBL buses there [displacing only the few due to the D4500s], and put the ex-NYCT buses at LGA and GL. Eventually those JBL buses were going to be replaced anyway.

I agree 100% I wished they would have done that.

• 1 year later...

Let's see:

The (Q6), (Q10), (Q25), (Q65) and (Q113) wouldn't have LTD service

The GMC RTS would still be running

The (Q21) would still end at Liberty Av (A)

The Q89 would still exist

The B103 and Q53 would have that stupid LTD stop set up

Most of the buses would run like every hour

If the Private NYCDOT companies were to still live:

1. The older RTS would probably be still around smoking up the streets.

2. They might have some new buses (not counting chances of them of being Orion 100%)

3. The (MTA) RTS's number would dwindle sooner.

4. Their fare would still be cheaper than the (MTA)'s that for sure.

5. We wouldn't have as much of big sea of MCI's as we have now today.

What would happen if the 7 Private bus lines were never owned by the (MTA)?

All the private lines would be out of business and there would be no MTA bus company. NYCTA would have maybe 2 brand new depots huge depots in queens and MABSTOA would have 2 more in the Bronx. MTA would have brought the College Point facility from JGT Reality/DOT. That plus the empty police impound lot across the street would serve as the MTA DOB scrap yard...

Archived