What new routes would you like to see when MTA recovers?

JubaionBx12+SBS

What new routes would you like to see created after the MTA gets its financial situation straightened? Also add the depot it should be based out of and the headways it should have along with the desired fleet of buses.

In my opinion I want a 5 Av SBS route, let MTA decide the number and 2routes from Fordham Plaza to LGA one which follows the Bx15 and then merges with M60 and the other route should follow the Bx9 and then merge with the Q44 until Roosevelt Av-Main St where it merges with the Q48 to LGA. I like the 2nd route because It provides a one seat ride from the Bronx to Citi Field for Mets games, not that people want to see them play but when I go I want to see the Phillies kick their asses. The 5 Av SBS should be based from Manhattanville Depot with Orion X artics when they come into production and run headways of 3 mins during peak hours and 6 mins offpeak.

Both LGA routes should go to Gunhill Depot and use NovaBus LFSA's. 5 min peak headway will be good for those routes.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to see a route than ran from the Ikea in Brooklyn to lower Manhattan (probably the Worth Street area). This would attract both shoppers and commuters.

Hmmm...the B51 and B61 be combined should something like this happen. They both go to Downtown Brooklyn anyway so all that's needed is to link the two and provide through service.

Some M2 buses to Yankee Stadium during game days

A route that goes by Gateway Center

All bus routes that were deleted due to the service cuts

I doubt (MTA) will recover so this is more like a dream.

What new routes would you like to see if (MTA) recovers

Funny that you make those 2 suggestions i was thinking the exact same thing yesterday when i was by the stadium. Either extend the M2 and/or M10 or a new limited route via 5th and Madison that just runs game days only.

As for Gateway the Bx13 is the most likely candidate for service to the shopping area I think an extension is very much needed especially on the weekends.

What makes anyone believe that the MTA doesn't expand the bus system because of financial difficulties or that it ever will recover?

They want to cut mileage not add it and it has nothing to do with their current situation. When there was a surplus, did you see any mileage added? No. The MTA has an edict that any time they extend a route, they must cut another route at the same time so the result is no increase in mileage or a decrease. This is just a bias against buses. No such edict exists when changing subway routes.

Their rationale is that demand is fixed and only those who must use the bus system do so. They wrongly believe that if they add service or reduce it, ridership will not change. This may sound crazy but it is true. Whenever they cost out an extension, they assume there will be no increase in ridership. They never factor in increased revenue into their operating cost.

A few years ago, I proposed a minor change that would have costed according yo them $50,000 per year extra and they rejected it on that basis alone and I have that in writing. The true cost for the extension actually was zero, and the increased ridership it would have generated would have been a bonus.

They assume that they lose X amount for every passenger carried, so if they run less mileage and carry fewer passengers, they will lose less money. They would just be ecstatic if they could cut bus service by 25 or 50% to improve their bottom line. Other than getting people to the subway, they view most of it as just unnecessary, and would rather see dollar vans provide the service.

This is the attitude that needs changing before anyone starts thinking about any new routes they would like to see.

Here are my ideas....

Bx89:

From E 233rd Street and White Plains Road to Bay Plaza, serving Wakefield, Willamsbridge, Co-Op City, and Bay Plaza via Barnes Av, E 236 Street, White Plains Road (Northbound), E 233 Street, Bronxwood Av (Southbound) E Gun Hill Road, Bartow Av, Sections 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Co-Op City Blvd and Terminates at Bx29 terminal.

Bx37:

From Valentine Av and E 192 Street, to Gateway Center Mall, serving Bedford Park, Fordham, Tremont, Highbridge and Melrose, via Grand Concorse, Kingsbridge Road, Valentine Av (Northbound) Fordham Road (Southbound) Grand Concorse, E 149th Street, Gerard Av, E 151 Street, and River Av (Southbound). Terminates infront of North Retail Building.

More routes to follow.....

What makes anyone believe that the MTA doesn't expand the bus system because of financial difficulties or that it ever will recover?

They want to cut mileage not add it and it has nothing to do with their current situation. When there was a surplus, did you see any mileage added? No. The MTA has an edict that any time they extend a route, they must cut another route at the same time so the result is no increase in mileage or a decrease. This is just a bias against buses. No such edict exists when changing subway routes.

Their rationale is that demand is fixed and only those who must use the bus system do so. They wrongly believe that if they add service or reduce it, ridership will not change. This may sound crazy but it is true. Whenever they cost out an extension, they assume there will be no increase in ridership. They never factor in increased revenue into their operating cost.

A few years ago, I proposed a minor change that would have costed according yo them $50,000 per year extra and they rejected it on that basis alone and I have that in writing. The true cost for the extension actually was zero, and the increased ridership it would have generated would have been a bonus.

They assume that they lose X amount for every passenger carried, so if they run less mileage and carry fewer passengers, they will lose less money. They would just be ecstatic if they could cut bus service by 25 or 50% to improve their bottom line. Other than getting people to the subway, they view most of it as just unnecessary, and would rather see dollar vans provide the service.

This is the attitude that needs changing before anyone starts thinking about any new routes they would like to see.

Just a couple of questions:

1) Could you give an example of service being cut to one area while it is expanded to another? Are those 2 services that are being reduced/expanded related to one another or could they be on opposite sides of the borough?

2) Out of curiosity, what was the route extension that you proposed?

While I long thought that the MTA has an unfair bias against buses....

Why does it always have to come down with what YOU proposed some odd years ago...

Speaking of attitudes, It's this mentality & implication of yours that, if the MTA would have only listened to you, the system would be dam near flawless...

Matter fact, don't even bother answering that question...

Well...

Simply put, it's easier (and justified, IMO) to be pessimistic than optimistic; especially, regarding the MTA....

putting it another way, what reason do we have to be positive about any type of expansion of our bus system, when almost everytime you hear about bus routes, there's talks reduction in service, or complete cuts.....

like, how many more of these "doomsday" proposals do New Yorkers gotta put up with.....

I don't think SBS would work on a crosstown route since they basically make every single stop.

Well the point is to speed up loading and those buses would have their own lanes, so they won't be delayed.

A route from Kings Plaza to Coney Island.

But you can take the B2 or B3 to the Brighton line and get to CI.

But you can take the B2 or B3 to the Brighton line and get to CI.

Checkmate...

Then maybe send it via Bath Avenue in place of the B64.

A route traveling from Bath av (period)... cutting through coney island... in order for it to get to kings plaza?

elongating a route *somewhere* just so that it can "qualify" for limited service?

you may as well have suggest sending the 64 to kings plaza... lol...

which would be even more pointless, due to the fact that bath av riders can xfer to the B3 to that godforsaken mall, by itself...

you aint thinkin this through, dude...

The easiest way to link CI and KP would be an extension of the B36, but I do not think it's even necessary.

I would like the B71 to be... revived from future extinction and then extended into Manhattan.

And what about a merge of the M9 and the B51 bus (assuming that's revived too)

But let's be honest, I do not think there will be any "new" routes when the MTA recovered. I seriously doubt there will ever be revived routes, because once an agency like the MTA can get away with shortchanging customers (which they will be able to once those routes are years defunct), they will never come back. Why cut cost savings when you keep the system at status quo.

Just a couple of questions:

1) Could you give an example of service being cut to one area while it is expanded to another? Are those 2 services that are being reduced/expanded related to one another or could they be on opposite sides of the borough?

2) Out of curiosity, what was the route extension that you proposed?

1) When the B47 was created by combining the B40 with the B78, they discontinued the B40 north of Flushing Avenue and east of Ralph Avenue. I had no problem with the discontinuation of the B40 north od Flushing because you still had the B46 operating there and I don't think you needed two routes operating along the same section of Broadway. But discontinuing the B40 along St Johns Place and Liberty Avenue left no service on those streets. Yes, the B40 was lightly utilized, but it allowed riders on the B45 and B65 to travel further eastward. By dead ending those routes, you make travel more difficult and increase the number of three bus trips needed to complete a journey. The B65 should have been extended to replace the B40 if not to Pennsylvania Avenue, then to Broadway Junction. Or the B65 could have been extended a few blocks to Ralph and East New York Avenue to have a connection with the B12 and B14 to replace the lost B40 connection. There still would have been a mileage saving and fewer people would have been inconvenienced.

You asked could it be on opposite sides of the borough, I'm not aware of that being done, but eliminating the B40 on Broadway and adding Ralph Avenue Service between St Johns Place and Sutter Avenue isn't exactly around the corner.

2) After making about a dozen suggestions, all of which were rejected for one reason or another, (e.g. any extension was responded with "reliability would decline". Funny it wasn't an issue when the B78 became the B47.) I decided to suggest something very simple. Keep in mind that this was when the B103 was still privately operated. I suggested that during rush hours the B42 run alternate buses to E 108 Street and Seaview. Service would be cut from 2 minutes to 4 minutes at the first two stops but people living on Seaview Avenue from 103rd to E108 St would have access to the L line. During non-rush hours, I proposed that the B42 on their northbound trip divert from their route to serve Seaview Avenue to E 108 Street. It would have added about four minutes to passengers trips who boarded at the first two stops, but would would now have increased the service area of the route. All layovers on the B42 would be at Canarsie Station.

While I long thought that the MTA has an unfair bias against buses....

Why does it always have to come down with what YOU proposed some odd years ago...

Speaking of attitudes, It's this mentality & implication of yours that, if the MTA would have only listened to you, the system would be dam near flawless...

Matter fact, don't even bother answering that question...

I never meant to suggest that I had all the answers. I know you don't agree with much of what I suggested and you have that right. But if I was in charge, I never would be proposing changes without adequate data as the MTA has done. I don't think the system would be damn near flawless if they listened to me, but it would be a hell of a lot better than what we have now. And just because I made many of these proposals years ago does not mean that they don't have any validity today.

Well...

Simply put, it's easier (and justified, IMO) to be pessimistic than optimistic; especially, regarding the MTA....

putting it another way, what reason do we have to be positive about any type of expansion of our bus system, when almost everytime you hear about bus routes, there's talks reduction in service, or complete cuts.....

like, how many more of these "doomsday" proposals do New Yorkers gotta put up with.....

No argument here. The only time they were talking of any extensions of service recently is when Bloomberg forced them to come up with some if his congestion pricing was approved. Notice they didn't come up with those ideas on their own.

New Limited Routes

Bx9

Bx19

Bx22

Bx40*

Bx42*

*Bx43 Limited from Throggs Neck to Morris heights.

The Bx40/42 are the perfect candidates for Limited Stop service. However, the Bx19 is set up in a way which makes limited stop service impossible. Once it arrives in Manhattan it turns into a crosstown route.

Archived