What new routes would you like to see when MTA recovers?

JubaionBx12+SBS

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright, you are right...

I do not know how that would work out, Express Busses already run frequently on Route-25 between Jamaica and the I-495 interchange and it is pretty fast and smooth so Express Bus Only Lanes would not work, I would rather see the Q-60 go into a +~SBS~+ route because it would relieve conjestion on the (E)(F)(M)(R) trains and close the gap between two Q60 busses (lets say after the service change and it stays this way on the QBL).

I agree. With the exception of the holiday season around Queens Center Mall, express buses are usually fast on Queens Blvd.

Bronx Routes

Bx60 Fordham - Yonkers Getty Sq

Bx45 Fordham - New Rochelle via Pelham Bay

Bx90 Fordham - Rye Playland (summers only)

Manhattan Routes

M25 Central Park loop

M40 Harlem - Yankee Stadium.

Central Park loop, do you mean the bus traveling all over Central Park on the M25?

From what I run from YouTube, MAX (Bus Rapid Transit) Kansas City use Regular Size Green Friendly bus instead of Articulated Bus

Even thought Articulated Bus cannot be used in narrow areas of MTA Regional Bus Route, maybe they could follow MAX way.

Nassau County

Replace N6 Peak LTD with N6 All Day SBS.

Extend N20 LTD to Hicksville Station, replace by N20 SBS.

Introduce SBS on N15, N22/N24, N72, N79.

SBS Potentialls

Vernon Blvd/Northern Blvd Corridor from 50th Av to Hicksville Station Area.

Queens Blvd Corridor from Jamaica to Penn Station

Cross Bay/Woodhaven Blvd Corridor

I know about Express busses, but I am talking about implementing +~SBS~+ on Q60 (Local Bus). I am not in anyway increasing Express Bus speed...

I don't think there's a need now per se. They were basically saying that a bus-only lane should be put at Queens Blvd. And that's all it needs for now. SBS has been studied as a recommendation to alleviate pressure off of the QBL, but the bottom question is, if it is SBS, how much would it help the QBL?

The main ridership of such a Q60 SBS would be mostly seniors and those that can't walk up and down the stairs. I would still think a majority will stick with the subway because it is faster. Now if only people would stay on the local than to jam themselves onto the express is what is really needed to be looked into.

Where would you put a sbs on Queens Blvd the local part of QB is two and a half lanes and one of those is for parking specailly between 63rd drive and 75th ave, there is no room for an sbs because the local lanes on QB would become non-existent.

Grand Concourse is right. The SBS probably wouldn't do much for QB. It would have increased ridership compared to the current Q60 and maybe people going from Eastern Queens to Long Island City would use it, since it is a more direct route, but everybody sees that the MTA could hardly get people to give up their rides on the express for the local, they're not going to give up their ride on the train for a bus, which is slower.

SBS is really just a temporary fix, for example on 1st/2nd Avenue, where it is supposed to attempt to help the Lexington Avenue Line until SAS comes. If it is truly that bad, eventually another line will have to be built near it, or otherwise an incentive would need to be provided to use other lines, like the Jamaica Avenue Line.

@nel:

Well look at what they intend to do with the 2nd Av SBS, they could extend the sidewalk to the lane so the bus doesn't need to change lanes or they could eliminate parking on the side and make it bus only. It is not out of the question for SBS on the Q60.

I'm not advocating for SBS, but I don't see why it can't be done.

I can think of several routes I would like to see added as well as several extensions/modifications when (MTA) gets out of this mess:

1) A split Bx9/Bx23 to deal with the crowding on the Bx9. The idea would be to make the Bx9 assist some of the WCBL lines that run via Broadway by extending it north to Getty Sq and truncating it to Fordham Plaza in the south. Make the Bx23 the limited that runs from Getty Sq, stopping at Getty Sq, McLean Av, Radford St, 261 St, 256 St, 250 St, 242 St, 238 St, 231 St, 225 St, Sedgwick Av, Jerome Av, Grand Concourse, Fordham Plaza, Southern Bl, 183 St, 180 St, West Farms Sq. Run the Bx23 limited 6AM-11PM Mon-Fri, 7 AM-9PM Sat, and 9AM-8PM Sun and do not run the Bx9 when the Bx23 is local.

2) Extend the Bx7/Bx10 out to Ludlow MNRR all times and make the Bx7 a 24/7 bus.

3) Extend the Bx8 to Nereid Av via White Plains Rd and create a local from 225 St to Bruckner Bl and a limited that runs local on the tail ends and Limited on the above stretch, stopping at 225 St, 219 St, Gun Hill Rd, Allerton Av, Pelham Pkwy, Morris Pk Av, Westchester Sq, Layton Av, and Bruckner Bl. Run the Limited 7AM-9PM Mon to Fri, 7 AM-7 PM Sat and 9AM-6PM Sun.

4) Extend the Bx13 to 161 St and 3 Av at all times.

5) Have the Bx15 and the Bx55 swap southern terminals and send the Bx55 to Williamsbridge whenever it runs.

6) Extend the Bx16 to New Rochelle Intermodal Transit Ctr and cut headways in half.

7) Extend the Bx19 to the Botanical Garden MNRR station and truncate it to 149 St/Grand Concourse.

8) Extend the Bx20 to 263 St and institute Sunday service every half hour.

9) Create a Bx24 Southern Blvd limited between 242 St/Katonah Av and Riverbank Pk. Have the bus follow the Bx34 route from Katonah Av to Bainbridge Av/Mosholu Pkwy with stops at 242 St, 233 St, Jerome Av/233 St, Woodlawn, Gun Hill Rd/Bainbridge Av, Norwood/205 St (D) station, and Bainbridge Av/Mosholu Pkwy. Have the bus make a left onto Mosholu Pkwy, stopping at the Botanical Garden MNRR station. Have the bus then follow the Bx19 route to Riverbank Pk with stops at Fordham Rd, 183 St, 180 St, Tremont Av, Boston Rd, West Farms Rd, 163 St, Prospect Av, 149 St/3 Av, 149 St/Grand Concourse, then all current Bx19 stops to Riverbank Pk. Run the Bx24 limited and the Bx19 local 6 AM-10 PM every day. When the Bx24 is local do not run the Bx19.

10) Make the Bx25 the limited on the Bx26 line, starting it at Earhart Lane making local stops in Co-op City but with the Section 5 cut, followed by stops at Bartow Av, Eastchester Rd, Wiiliamsbridge Rd, White Plains Rd, Botanical Garden, Webster Av, Bainbridge Av, Grand Concourse, and Jerome Av. From that point have it follow the Bx10 route to Van Cortlandt Pk South/Bailey Av making all Bx10 stops, then send it via Van Cortlandt Pk South to Broadway with a stop at Broadway, and then send it north to terminate at 242 St. *Run it limited 6AM-10PM Mon to Fri and 7AM-7PM on weekends and local other times. When the Bx25 is local do not run the Bx26.

11) Run Limited service on the Bx28 making all local stops from Fordham Ctr to Norwood/205 St (D) station and then have it stop at Gun Hill Rd, Williamsbridge, Bronxwood Av, Laconia Av, Eastchester Rd, Bartow Av, and then all stops in Co-op City via Section 5 to Earhart Lane. While the limited is running, short-turn locals at Norwood. Run the Limited 6AM-10PM Mon-Fri and 7AM-7PM on weekends. Run limited service*on the Bx25 and Bx28 starting at 6AM on SAT Saturdays.

12) Split the QBx1 into two separate routes: the Bx37 and the QBx1 proper. Make the Bx37 a Co-op City shuttle originating at Pelham Bay Park and looping through Co-op City on 10-minute headways, alternating in their loop direction (1-2-3-4-5 vs.5-4-3-2-1). The QBx1 would be extended to Bay Plaza via the Bx12 SBS routing and run from Bay Plaza to Flushing on 15-minute headways.

13) Extend the Bx39 to 241 St and provide limited service with stops at 238 St, 233 St, 225 St, 219 St, Williamsbridge, Allerton Av, Pelham Pkwy, Morris Pk Av, Tremont Av, Westchester Av, Story Av, Soundview Av, and Clasons Pt. Run the Limited 7AM-8PM weekdays only and turn all local buses whether or not the limited is running at Williamsbridge.

14) Run either the Bx40 or the Bx42 limited between River Park Towers and Randall Av. Position limited stops at River Park Towers, University Av, Jerome Av, Grand Concourse, Webster Av, 3 Av, Prospect Av, Southern Bl, West Farms Sq, White Plains Rd, Westchester Sq, Bruckner Bl, and Randall Av. Run the limited 7AM-7PM Mon-Fri and 9AM-5PM on weekends. When the limited does not run, run the local.

15)Extend the Bx41 to 136 St/Lincoln Av via the current Bx2 routing, extend the hours of the limited to 7AM-7PM weekdays only, and have the limited make the above Bx39 limited stops in addition to its stops below Williamsbridge.

16)*Create*a*Bronx-Astoria Limited line from Paul Av/205 St to LGA Airport. Run the line like this:*

1) Upon leaving the airport, the line runs via Astoria Bl/Hoyt Av, making all M60 local stops.*

2)On the Triboro, the northbound Bx50 runs via the Major Deegan Expressway to 135 St/Willis Av. The southbound Bx50 runs on 134 St and then merge onto the Triboro. First northbound/last southbound stop in the Bronx is 135 St/Willis Av.

3)It then runs on Willis Av to 149 St/The Hub, stopping at 138 St and 149 St/Willis Av.

4)From there, the Bx50 goes onto Melrose Av, making Limited stops at 161 St, 168 St, 170 St, Claremont Pkwy, Tremont Av, 180 St, Fordham Plaza.*

5)Finally, it mirrors the Bx28 route to Paul/205, making Limited stops at Kingsbridge Rd/Concourse, Jerome Av, Bedford Pk Blvd, and Paul/205.

6)Nights, when the Bx22 is cut back to Fordham Center and the 28 is cut back to 205 St, the Bx50 runs local to Fordham Plaza, then Limited to 135 St.

(Sorry about the asterisks; I typed this in a text editor and apparently the editor is inserting phantom characters that I don't know how to get rid of.)*** *** * * * **

Some restructuring of the Q104 and the Q53 along Broadway could be done to provide a through-route along Broadway. This would make it easier to travel from Jackson Heights southward, to Astoria without taking the (7) and the (N). It would also cut travel time as well. Maybe extend the Q53 to Broadway (N)(W), but I can't really decide on a concrete service pattern yet.

Also, restructure the Q7 to run on Rockaway Blvd. west of Woodhaven Blvd., instead of the route it takes now. Riders along the current Q7 route are within walking distance of the (A) and extending the Q7 along Rockaway Blvd. would ease the commutes of those living in that area.

Here are my ideas....

Bx89:

From E 233rd Street and White Plains Road to Bay Plaza, serving Wakefield, Willamsbridge, Co-Op City, and Bay Plaza via Barnes Av, E 236 Street, White Plains Road (Northbound), E 233 Street, Bronxwood Av (Southbound) E Gun Hill Road, Bartow Av, Sections 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Co-Op City Blvd and Terminates at Bx29 terminal.

More routes to follow.....

This would never happen. There's already too many routes that go to Co-op City. The (MTA) would continue to expect people to take the Bx16 to the Bx30; or take the Bx31 to the Bx16 and then transfer to the Bx30; or take the Bx41 (I guess in the future it will be the Bx39) to the Bx28/30.

Bronx Routes

Bx60 Fordham - Yonkers Getty Sq

Bx45 Fordham - New Rochelle via Pelham Bay

Bx90 Fordham - Rye Playland (summers only)

Why mimic the existing Bee-Line routes?

• 3 weeks later...

Here my ideas.

Staten Island

Create a new S99 running between Elizabeth-Broad St., (NJT)station

and pt. Richmond for access to the :nec::njc: to NYP, Newark Airport/Newark Penn Station, Trenton/Philly and the Jersey Shore(Long Branch/Bay Head.)

Run the S79 24/7 a day between Elingtville TC and Bay Ridge.

Create a new bus line between Woodbridge Center mall in Woodbridge, NJ and Staten Island Mall.

Brooklyn

Restore the soon to be B64 service cut between Stillwell Terminal and Harway/25th Ave.

Restore limited X27/28 Saturday hourly Express Bus service between Midtown and Shore Rd. or Sea Gate(West 37th St) in Coney Island.

Create new B19 bus as supplemental line to the B82 between Kings Highway (:D(Q) station and Brooklyn Postal GMF on Elderts Lane in Spring Creek. Gives SW Brooklyn residents access to the B15(JFK Airport) and Q8 to SW Queens and Jamaica areas.

Bronx

Extend the BX 7 and BX10 24/7 to/from Getty Sq./Yonkers MNRR (Hudson line)station.

Extend the BX20 to run 7 days a week between Dyckman Houses (near the Dyckman (1) subway station)and Ludlow St MNRR station.

More to come.

IDK if there's demand, but here goes:

M25

From South Ferry via West Street/12 Avenue to 34 Street. Then, via 34 Street to 6 Av. Then, via 6 Av to 42 St. Then, via 42 St to 12 Av. Then, via 12 Av to 72 Street, then via 72 St to the current M57 terminal.

Southbound, same thing in reverse, except it operates via 7 Av, not 6 Av.

M25A

From M14A southern terminal:

via Grand Street to Essex

via Essex to Delancey

via Delancey to Bowery

via Bowery to Canal

via Canal to West St

via West St/12 Av to 72 St, then via 72 St to M57 terminal.

M25LTD

Stops at:

West St and W Thames St

West St and Vesey

West St and Chambers

West St and Harrison

West St and Spring

West St and W10

West St and W15

12 Av and W24

12 Av and W34

s-bound stop @ 7 Av and 34 St

n-bound stop @ 6 Av and 34 St

Times Square

12 Av and W42

12 Av and W46

12 Av and W50

12 Av and W57

then makes all local stops to M57 terminal

ok NX. Honestly there already bus services that serve West St/12nd Ave area. It called Crosstown Buses. Also the only area of that whole area of West Side Highway/12nd Ave that could use bus service is say between the Javitz Center and 57th St.

With that said i don't think your proposed M25 will work.

Archived