What new routes would you like to see when MTA recovers?

JubaionBx12+SBS

I'd have to disagree. I'd leave the Bx23 alone and make this Baychester route the Bx43, since the Bx38 will be the Norwood-Co-Op route.

I made the Bx23 this way so that Co-op City riders can get to areas north of Gun Hill Road, such as Woodlawn, Edenwald, Wakefield, Eastchester, Cardinal Spellman HS, Montefiore North (the old Our Lady of Mercy Hospital), and Mount Vernon and New Rochelle.

My plan for the rest of Coop City is the following (I'm going to repeat it from the QBx1 thread):

Bx25: gone

Bx26: via sections 4-5, terminates at Earhart Lane

Bx28: via sections 1-2, terminates at the Post Office on Givan/Peartree

Bx30: via sections 3-4-5, terminates at Earhart Lane

Bx38: no need for it, since the bulk of the Bx28's ridership in Coop city centers around Truman High School

Q50 (southern half of QBx1 split): runs between Bay Plaza and Flushing, via Section 5

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I made the Bx23 this way so that Co-op City riders can get to areas north of Gun Hill Road, such as Woodlawn, Edenwald, Wakefield, Eastchester, Cardinal Spellman HS, Montefiore North (the old Our Lady of Mercy Hospital), and Mount Vernon and New Rochelle.

My plan for the rest of Coop City is the following (I'm going to repeat it from the QBx1 thread):

Bx30: via sections 3-4-5, terminates at Earhart Lane

Bx38: no need for it, since the bulk of the Bx28's ridership in Coop city centers around Truman High School

Q50 (southern half of QBx1 split): runs between Bay Plaza and Flushing, via Section 5

I'd place up an honest question: why was Co-Op City even designed this way.

I'd place up an honest question: why was Co-Op City even designed this way.

Two words: car country

Remember, Co-op City was built in the late 1960s, a time where the car was replacing public transit as the main transportation option in many families. Since Co-op City was in the Northeast Bronx and on the borderline of the New England Thruway, basically near the suburbs, the development was built with the car in mind.

Anyhow, back into topic, this car-minded mentality of Coop City is one of the main reasons why it's difficult for people to walk from Dreiser or Carver Loops to let's say Bellamy Loop or Truman HS, even worse to Asch Loop and Bartow Avenue. As a result, people take the bus just to get from section to section, which is the main reason why a majority of Coop City buses run through ALL SECTIONS! However, through time, we've seen that buses aren't used like that while traveling through all sections. Hey, it's great to have one bus do that, but not all of them.

Bx30: via sections 3-4-5, terminates at Earhart Lane.Bx38: no need for it, since the bulk of the Bx28's ridership in Coop city centers around Truman High School

I kind of felt that the Bx38 wouldn't be needed. I feel that this Q50 won't be express in the Bronx

I kind of felt that the Bx38 wouldn't be needed. I feel that this Q50 won't be express in the Bronx

I would like to see how effective the Bx38 is. The Bx38 is really just a short run Bx28 with different routing in Co-op City. So It will probably operate more like Bx40/42. Which may not be a bad thing considering if your traveling from Section 5 of Co-op City and your trying to just get to the (5) at Gun Hill Rd., the (2) at White Plains Rd. or to Montefiore, you don't want to travel through the rest of the sections of Co-op.

I think the Bx25/26 should have operated the same way. The Bx25 should operate the same hours it does now but via the same route as the Bx38 in Co-op City, terminating at Bay Plaza. The Bx26 operates via the same route as the present Bx25 at all times as it will after June 27th.

I also foresee some increased ridership on the QBx1 when the June 27th Changes go into effect. I spend a lot of time in Co-op City and I have noticed a moderate amount of ridership within Co-op City itself spread among the Bx26,28,30 and Qbx1. When the Bx26 and 28 cease operating via all sections I believe we will see the QBx1 (Bx23) being utilized more as it should.

The QBx1's to and from Flushing/Main Street (Q50) should probably have some increased service. Instead of every 20-30 minutes maybe every 15 minutes. Compensating for less Bx5 Service via Bruckner and to offer a more reliable alternative to the Q44.

I would like to see how effective the Bx38 is. The Bx38 is really just a short run Bx28 with different routing in Co-op City. So It will probably operate more like Bx40/42. Which may not be a bad thing considering if your traveling from Section 5 of Co-op City and your trying to just get to the (5) at Gun Hill Rd., the (2) at White Plains Rd. or to Montefiore, you don't want to travel through the rest of the sections of Co-op.

I think the Bx25/26 should have operated the same way. The Bx25 should operate the same hours it does now but via the same route as the Bx38 in Co-op City, terminating at Bay Plaza. The Bx26 operates via the same route as the present Bx25 at all times as it will after June 27th.

I also foresee some increased ridership on the QBx1 when the June 27th Changes go into effect. I spend a lot of time in Co-op City and I have noticed a moderate amount of ridership within Co-op City itself spread among the Bx26,28,30 and Qbx1. When the Bx26 and 28 cease operating via all sections I believe we will see the QBx1 (Bx23) being utilized more as it should.

The QBx1's to and from Flushing/Main Street (Q50) should probably have some increased service. Instead of every 20-30 minutes maybe every 15 minutes. Compensating for less Bx5 Service via Bruckner and to offer a more reliable alternative to the Q44.

The Q50 needs to be increased to 5-10 minutes, since the Bx5 will go up Crosby to compensate the loss of the Bx8

Maybe a limited bus connecting Bay Ridge, Caesar's Bay Mall, Coney Island, Kings Plaza, Gateway Center Mall, East New York, and Green Acres Mall? Useful for shoppers. It would mostly run via Belt Pkwy, and run maybe once every 60 minutes weekends only.

Maybe a limited bus connecting Bay Ridge, Caesar's Bay Mall, Coney Island, Kings Plaza, Gateway Center Mall, East New York, and Green Acres Mall? Useful for shoppers. It would mostly run via Belt Pkwy, and run maybe once every 60 minutes weekends only.

I can't really see too many people riding it. I don't think too many people want to go between malls to do their shopping. Most shoppers would go to one mall and then go home.

By the way, if this were to be implemented, it should have a higher fare than the local fare, considering the fact that it would be more of a super-limited. (Not to mention, that as a result of the long distance with few stops, have a higher cost per passenger than the average local bus)

The Q50 needs to be increased to 5-10 minutes, since the Bx5 will go up Crosby to compensate the loss of the Bx8

I think 10 minute headways on the Q50 during the rush hours would be good enough, since not too many riders are along Bruckner between Country Club and Balcom Avenue (remember the Bx8 serves Bruckner btw. Pelham Bay and Country Club Rd). However, the Q50 would have a new stop at Baisley Avenue to serve PS 14 and for those walking across the pedestrian bridge to head to Spencer Estates.

I think the Q50 should run every 20 minutes during off-peak hours though.

For some strange reason, I don't want any bus serving Country Club/Spencer Estates.

Lol Why?

I think 10 minute headways on the Q50 during the rush hours would be good enough, since not too many riders are along Bruckner between Country Club and Balcom Avenue (remember the Bx8 serves Bruckner btw. Pelham Bay and Country Club Rd). However, the Q50 would have a new stop at Baisley Avenue to serve PS 14 and for those walking across the pedestrian bridge to head to Spencer Estates.

I think the Q50 should run every 20 minutes during off-peak hours though.

Every 10 minutes during off hours is a bit of an over kill, but during rush sure.... I think Q50 can really ease the heavy crowds on the Q44 if it ran often enough.

The reason I don't want buses serving those areas because Country Club/Spencer Estates residents want peace and quiet

You might want them to have peace and quiet, but they can't be isolated from the supermarkets, churches, and businesses, especially the elderly in Country Club. It's just best to have a route that runs every half-hour off-peak to serve that area, such as the Bx29, which in my opinion, could run from City Island to Locust Point.

Not to mention, the City Council's Transportation Chair, James Vacca, has that area along with Morris Park, Westchester Square, and Throggs Neck in his district. He's the one that had the Bx8 to connect to the (6) at the ADA-accessible Pelham Bay Park station rather than Middletown Road.

I agree w/ Q43's initial reply regarding the matter, but not for that reason he later gave....

The reason I don't want them having bus service, simply put, is because residents of that area don't use it....

give that service to other areas that will....

A crosstown line around Grand Street in Manhattan. It was there in the 1980s, but it got axed. They were talking about it recently, but the service cuts killed any plan of new service.

As much as I'd like to see that, I'd have to disagree on this. The blocks past Eldridge (i.e : Forsyth, Bowery, Mott, Mulberry, etc) are unbelieveably congested due to that retarded parking pattern, it would be really tight for buses to go through those sections of Grand Street, the NYU buses used to go through there but instead, they turn onto Lafayette Street.

What I would like to see? Well...

Get the proposals of the B71, B77, and Q94 into fruition. The B71 cut will cause problems to the upper-Park Slope community. I went there recently, and I'll say this: that travel up Union Street is no piece of cake. There is a very steep hill that the B71 has to climb to get to Crown Heights, and not everyone can walk up a hill like that. Plus, with the idea of the B71 going into lower-Manhattan, you can perhaps increase ridership as you can take the proposed B71 into South Ferry/Battery Park City and not have to rely on the inconsistent (R) train.

The same with the B77. With the B77 merged, the B61 is now the only bus that goes to the Ikea Terminal. This leaves people with only one public transportation option to go to Ikea. With the B77, you have another option. And the extension can help the B77 gain more ridership and give the B77 extra use.

With the X32 gone, use the option of the Q94 in its place. The Q94 SL is a very good idea and would allow those from the Fordham Plaza to travel to Flushing at a quicker and more reliable pace. Plus, the X32 ran only once each way. The Q94 SL would be much more useful.

Cutting the M5 back to its original Houston Street terminal. But this will lead me to this idea.

Take the South Ferry section of the M1 and split it to allow the M1 to improve headways. The M1's furthest downtown terminal will be East 8th Street at all times. The split route would be the M12, a local that goes from South Ferry to Union Square.

Parkchester to Westchester Sq? I thought it would at least crowded from Parkchester to Pelham Bay.

yup, hoodciti is right....

w/e crowds the bx14 (NB) got, pretty much dissipated after turning on castle hill...

What I would like to see? Well...

Get the proposals of the B71, B77, and Q94 into fruition. The B71 cut will cause problems to the upper-Park Slope community. I went there recently, and I'll say this: that travel up Union Street is no piece of cake. There is a very steep hill that the B71 has to climb to get to Crown Heights, and not everyone can walk up a hill like that. Plus, with the idea of the B71 going into lower-Manhattan, you can perhaps increase ridership as you can take the proposed B71 into South Ferry/Battery Park City and not have to rely on the inconsistent (R) train.

The same with the B77. With the B77 merged, the B61 is now the only bus that goes to the Ikea Terminal. This leaves people with only one public transportation option to go to Ikea. With the B77, you have another option. And the extension can help the B77 gain more ridership and give the B77 extra use.

With the X32 gone, use the option of the Q94 in its place. The Q94 SL is a very good idea and would allow those from the Fordham Plaza to travel to Flushing at a quicker and more reliable pace. Plus, the X32 ran only once each way. The Q94 SL would be much more useful.

Cutting the M5 back to its original Houston Street terminal. But this will lead me to this idea.

Take the South Ferry section of the M1 and split it to allow the M1 to improve headways. The M1's furthest downtown terminal will be East 8th Street at all times. The split route would be the M12, a local that goes from South Ferry to Union Square.

- The "Q94" I have to think more about....

- Yes, IMO, that proposed B71 extension would be an instant success... I can only imagine how many people that live in cobble hill & boerum hill, that would abandon the (R) & the (F) if this were to happen....

- While I don't agree that the old B61 should've been split, having the current B61 run only b/w Ikea & downtown brooklyn, was just too short a run to be its own standalone route (which wasn't all that efficient or highly sought upon, like, say, the B74 down there in CI)... anyway, it only made sense after the old 61 got split, to combine it with the B77... The B75 came into play in all this madness b/c that route was suffering from poor usage, well, period... but especially b/w bishop ford HS & [5th & 9th]...

wouldn't have made much sense to have an extended 61 only serving 5th/10th (old b77 terminal).... but instead, have it serve more of park slope... so, while doing that in the process, might as well have sent it down to bishop ford..... many ppl here in the transit community saw SOME type of B61 extension coming before it was even proposed in that 100+ page PDF the MTA put out (myself included)...

IAWYP regarding the B77; even though the 77 was short, that route held its own, often getting the crowds it did b/w Red Hook itself, and the 4th/9th st station (R), (F)(G)... the problem was its terminal over there on 5th/10th... ppl that took the B77 there, for the most part, were walking towards 7th av after getting off the bus....

my point in mentioning all of this....

all of that, was setup by a route alteration that didn't have to happen (old b61)... this is exactly what I was talking about in another post I made recently, regarding how the MTA sets up for future cuts, with the ones posed before us today.....

- yes, M5 should've been left right where it was...

- While I don't know, down what streets your "M12" would take, I would still favor that, over the downright botchery & butchery of the M1 come 6/27.....

Parkchester to Westchester Sq? I thought it would at least crowded from Parkchester to Pelham Bay.

It's crowded in Parkchester because of the apartments. Many elderly folks live along Metropolitan Av. Most of them get off between Metropolitan Oval and Castle Hill Avenue. Normally, it would take a good 15-20 minutes to walk from the Parkchester (6) station to that part of Parkchester.

Now that the Bx14 is leaving, the Bx22 will be spending more time using the lifts within Parkchester by itself.

Yes, IMO, that proposed B71 extension would be an instant success... I can only imagine how many people that live in cobble hill & boerum hill, that would abandon the (R) & the (F) if this were to happen....
I went there recently, and although it wasn't bustling, it can be, according to a B/O who regularly ran that line. And since the (R) can be really slow sometimes, the B71 extension can really help those who have to commute to Wall Street tremendously.

I do wonder, though, how would the B71 get to the expressway with the route it's on? Which entrance and which side? Cobble Hill's or Flatbush's? (I'm more thinking Cobble Hill 'cause the BQE's nearest there, but I haven't researched the ramps and their compatibility for buses, so...)

IAWYP regarding the B77; even though the 77 was short, that route held its own, often getting the crowds it did b/w Red Hook itself, and the 4th/9th st station (R), (F)(G)... the problem was its terminal over there on 5th/10th... ppl that took the B77 there, for the most part, were walking towards 7th av after getting off the bus....
Then, after thinking about it, I believe what the MTA could've done is extend the B77 a bit to 7th Avenue so you won't have to walk up those long and sometimes steep avenue blocks.

While I don't know, down what streets your "M12" would take, I would still favor that, over the downright botchery & butchery of the M1 come 6/27.....
The M12 route would go down the M1's SF route.

Northbound: up Church Street, turn on Worth, up Lafayette, and go up 4th Avenue to Union Square (the layover area of the pre-cut M9).

Southbound: Turn on 14th Street, down 5th Avenue, turn on 8th Street, and go down Broadway until it reaches the South Ferry.

The M12 would be local throughout with ten- to fifteen-minute headways during rush hour and twenty minutes during regular times. The bus's times would be 5 AM to 10:45 PM on weekdays.

Archived