What new routes would you like to see when MTA recovers?

JubaionBx12+SBS

With the X32 gone, use the option of the Q94 in its place. The Q94 SL is a very good idea and would allow those from the Fordham Plaza to travel to Flushing at a quicker and more reliable pace. Plus, the X32 ran only once each way. The Q94 SL would be much more useful.

Now regarding the Q94, I need to see an alignment. Also, it should go further in Queens, perhaps even Jamaica, in order to reach a greater market.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yup, hoodciti is right....

w/e crowds the bx14 (NB) got, pretty much dissipated after turning on castle hill...

It's crowded in Parkchester because of the apartments. Many elderly folks live along Metropolitan Av. Most of them get off between Metropolitan Oval and Castle Hill Avenue. Normally, it would take a good 15-20 minutes to walk from the Parkchester (6) station to that part of Parkchester.

Now that the Bx14 is leaving, the Bx22 will be spending more time using the lifts within Parkchester by itself.

Alot of Parkchester's ridership for the Bx14 are elderly... kids and lazy commuters. I've taken the Bx14 twice ever. Might take it this weekend just to get a feel of the route before its gone.

Makes me wonder, since this thread is about new routes, if re-introducing the Bx54 would be viable. The Bx14 replaced the Bx54 in Parkchester... From my recollection (although I was 9 yo ) the 54's ridership was higher than the present Bx14. Most of the route would probably be pretty useful to Parkchester residents today although redundant now that the Bx39 operates down White Plains Rd to Clasons Pt. ( another change made to replace the Bx54). But It would interesting perhaps extend it across town to yankee stadium or even Gateway.

- Yes, IMO, that proposed B71 extension would be an instant success... I can only imagine how many people that live in cobble hill & boerum hill, that would abandon the (R) & the (F) if this were to happen....

my point in mentioning all of this....

all of that, was setup by a route alteration that didn't have to happen (old b61)... this is exactly what I was talking about in another post I made recently, regarding how the MTA sets up for future cuts, with the ones posed before us today.....

So what was the future cut set up from the first cut? The extension of the B61 on the Red Hook end as a result of splitting it at Downtown Brooklyn.

I wouldn't really call that a reduction, as passengers on both sides of the route maintained their service.

I agree with you about the B71. It would really get a lot of usage, since the people at the waterfront would otherwise have to go into Downtown Brooklyn, or spend their time backtracking to 4th Avenue for the (R), since the (F) doesn't go to Lower Manhattan.

Alot of Parkchester's ridership for the Bx14 are elderly... kids and lazy commuters. I've taken the Bx14 twice ever. Might take it this weekend just to get a feel of the route before its gone.

Makes me wonder, since this thread is about new routes, if re-introducing the Bx54 would be viable. The Bx14 replaced the Bx54 in Parkchester... From my recollection (although I was 9 yo ) the 54's ridership was higher than the present Bx14. Most of the route would probably be pretty useful to Parkchester residents today although redundant now that the Bx39 operates down White Plains Rd to Clasons Pt. ( another change made to replace the Bx54). But It would interesting perhaps extend it across town to yankee stadium or even Gateway.

I don't see too many riders get off on the Bx14 between the train station and Metro Oval. Most get off between the Oval and Castle Hill Av, either for the apartments or St. Raymond's High School.

As for bringing back the Bx54, Parkchester riders would most likely use it to get to Bruckner Plaza and Stevenson HS, thus avoiding both the Bx36 and Bx39. But the biggest beneficiaries to the Bx54 are along Story Av as they would use it to reach the (6) at Parkchester to head east or to take the Q44 to Queens.

So what was the future cut set up from the first cut? The extension of the B61 on the Red Hook end as a result of splitting it at Downtown Brooklyn.

I wouldn't really call that a reduction, as passengers on both sides of the route maintained their service.

the last part of that statement is not entirely true....

let's go step by step...

1) the old B61 existed

2) the old b61 split into the current b61/b62

3) service was maintained on the 61, but not on the 62 bro; headways were increased during certain times of the day (I'm not talking just late nights either) to facilitate for the non-loss of service from the old b61, compared to the (current) b61....

^^ another way of lookin at that, is, the route was split to shut up those that were seeking service on the old 61 between red hook & downtown, so they wouldn't have to wait for a bus snailing it's way from Queens & Greenpoint (especially along manhattan av)... that was the basis of the complaints... and I don't doubt for a second that the complainants were cobble hill residents (portion of the B61 along atlantic av & columbia st)...

in laymen's, the current b61 runs at a slightly higher frequency than the b62.

the 62 came into play, to relieve the problems of the old 61... In other words, the upper portion of the old 61 was the "problem".... This is why I feel that the "B61" notation was kept for the IKEA-downtown stretch, and a new number (62) was given for the other portion of the 'split'...

side note:

IMO, the current b62 from end-to-end feels more sluggish than the old b61 b/w the same stretch... furthermore, as much as myself, shortline, and some others were adamant about the b61 needing to serve WBP... now that the 62 does, come to find out, riders aren't embarking/disembarking there at will, so to speak.... or at least, as much as I thought it would....

4) the current b61 extension to bishop ford, w/ less service, come june 27th....

So "#3" is my answer to your question.

I agree with you about the B71. It would really get a lot of usage, since the people at the waterfront would otherwise have to go into Downtown Brooklyn, or spend their time backtracking to 4th Avenue for the (R), since the (F) doesn't go to Lower Manhattan.

word.

I don't know how many times over the years I've heard that complaint (from brooklyn residents) about the (F).

One route I'd like to see: the refurbishment of the Q89, but with MAJOR changes.

Today, there are many problems with the Q89.

1. Schedule: Operates on weekdays only from 10 to 5 and with 60-minute headways. It's very anemic and a very big pain.

2. Lack of ridership. Connects to the schedule and lack of connection with any train system. Of all the boroughs (excluding Staten Island), the Q89 is the only one not connected with the LIRR, MNRR, or subway. No transfer to the subway, no ridership.

3. ADA compatibility. With the RTSs and older Orion Vs gone, the ex-WMATAs operate that line. The problem is that there's no wheelchair accessibility. That's a big problem on that line. Why take a route where you have no wheelchair seating and sucky ADA usage?

This is where I propose this: a Q89 that travels from the 165th Street terminal to the Rockaway Boulevard (A) station. The Q9 is already a very busy route, but the Q89 is anemic. For the Q89, you can have people travel to the (A) train without having to transfer to the Q7. The bus connection to Lincoln Street would be discontinued; it will go all the way down Linden Boulevard until it reaches Rockaway Boulevard to the station terminal.

The schedule would be given a COMPLETE makeover: ten- to fourteen-minute headways during rush hour and twenty-minute headways during off-peak hours. Evening hours is thirty-minute headways. Service ends at 12:02 AM and begins at 5:15 AM. It won't run on weekends.

SOME WMATAs would operate, but there will also be NGs and HEVs on the line to allow elderly, disabled, and wheelchair compatibility.

funny... I just took the Q41 today... thanks to some street fair going on in Lindenwood, it bided for the perfect amt. of time for me to catch my Q53 @ 157th....

why bring up the 41?

b/c a route w/ the routing like the one you just mentioned, could compete w/ the Q41 (which often gets stuck at certain points b/w 95th & 111th avs)

I'll help you out a bit w/ your idea...

It can originate out of 165th... turn down Jamaica av like all the other buses do... but instead of continuing down jamaica, turn it down parsons to "directly" connect w/ the (E)(J)(Z) [there's no bus that directly runs from Jamaica ctr. to the 165th st term]... anyway, then it can turn off archer, down sutphin (avoiding the frenzy of riders @ those stops for the Q6/8/41/40 on sutphin)... this route could share a stop w/ the 25/34.... then continue down sutphin, to linden, then down rockaway, to terminate at that current Q7/41 stop (SW corner of cross bay/liberty; where the old Q21 first pickup stop was before that got extended)....

IMO, either our routes, I think, would "beat" the Q41 to the Rockaway blvd station....

FWIW, the Q41 could end at the subway station, and either of these ideas, can serve Lindenwood; swap terminals so to speak....

for the non-paragraph version (lol):

165th st term > Jamaica av > Parsons av > Sutphin blvd > Linden Blvd > Rockaway Blvd (the actual... street) > Rockaway blvd (A)

* I was checking out a thread on subchat, with which a few members there mentioned revamping the Q89 to run from Gateway Mall to Cambria Hgts, or was it hempstead av.... something to that effect....

The part of that idea I wasn't too fond of, is killing off the Q4.... you force all those riders onto Q5's, 84's and 85's (whichever manages to come first along merrick at a given time period).... killing the Q4 to revamp the Q89 is a bad idea.... a through route on linden would make far more sense if subway service existed south & east of Jamaica Center....

I had a similar idea. The Q89 retains its regular route, instead of turning off Lincoln, it stays on Linden to Rockaway Blvd. I would swap terminals with the Q41 and 89. The Q112 would be extended to Euclid Av under my plan

Another route I'd like to see: a refurbished QM23 that makes a "loop" to all the major transportation terminals at 34th and 42nd Street, and it was an idea spread around previously by other regular riders of that line.

When reaching Manhattan, the QM23 would stop at Third Avenue first and then Madison Avenue. After this is a stop at Herald Square. Then, the QM23 turns on Seventh Avenue and stops at its original terminal. Turning on 33rd Street, it'll go up Eighth Avenue and make a stop at the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Turn on 42nd Street to stop at Times Square, 5th Avenue, Madison Avenue, and then finally at Grand Central.

Heading from Manhattan, the first stop is Grand Central. Next is Times Square; then Fifth Avenue, Madison Avenue, and the PA Bus Terminal. Turning on Ninth Avenue, it'll go down until turning again on 34th Street. It stops at the corners of 34th Street and both Eighth and Seventh Avenues, but not turning down Seventh and looping around. It'll stop next at Herald Square and then Lexington Avenue before traveling up the Queens-Midtown Tunnel.

Like the QM16, the runs increase, going from one to eight each way with thirty-minute headways. The time begins at 5:30 until 9:00 AM going to Grand Central and 4:00 PM to 7:30 PM to Brooklyn Manor.

There may be union problems here, according to the resident QM23 B/O, but I think they can be ironed out.

P.S.: I think all of you know, I'm not into cutting routes unless necessary. IMO, cutting is the cheap way out. Instead, I like to think up ways to improve them and make them more accessible.

Another route I'd like to see: a refurbished QM23 that makes a "loop" to all the major transportation terminals at 34th and 42nd Street, and it was an idea spread around previously by other regular riders of that line.

When reaching Manhattan, the QM23 would stop at Third Avenue first and then Madison Avenue. After this is a stop at Herald Square. Then, the QM23 turns on Seventh Avenue and stops at its original terminal. Turning on 33rd Street, it'll go up Eighth Avenue and make a stop at the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Turn on 42nd Street to stop at Times Square, 5th Avenue, Madison Avenue, and then finally at Grand Central.

Heading from Manhattan, the first stop is Grand Central. Next is Times Square; then Fifth Avenue, Madison Avenue, and the PA Bus Terminal. Turning on Ninth Avenue, it'll go down until turning again on 34th Street. It stops at the corners of 34th Street and both Eighth and Seventh Avenues, but not turning down Seventh and looping around. It'll stop next at Herald Square and then Lexington Avenue before traveling up the Queens-Midtown Tunnel.

Like the QM16, the runs increase, going from one to eight each way with thirty-minute headways. The time begins at 5:30 until 9:00 AM going to Grand Central and 4:00 PM to 7:30 PM to Brooklyn Manor.

There may be union problems here, according to the resident QM23 B/O, but I think they can be ironed out.

P.S.: I think all of you know, I'm not into cutting routes unless necessary. IMO, cutting is the cheap way out. Instead, I like to think up ways to improve them and make them more accessible.

Not to be a downer, but to have it loop around the midtown terminals is not a good idea at all. Sure it sounds good but realistically, if it were to loop around those terminals, it would get caught in traffic no matter which avenue it goes through.

Then for the Port Authority Bus Terminal, you'd have buses laying over around the block and such. If it ends at Grand Central, it would have to being there as well, and the operator would have to go through all the Avenues just to get back to the Tunnel/Bridge, which would be a total pain in itself. Its also why we have the M16, M42 & M104.

Not to be a downer, but to have it loop around the midtown terminals is not a good idea at all. Sure it sounds good but realistically, if it were to loop around those terminals, it would get caught in traffic no matter which avenue it goes through.

Then for the Port Authority Bus Terminal, you'd have buses laying over around the block and such. If it ends at Grand Central, it would have to being there as well, and the operator would have to go through all the Avenues just to get back to the Tunnel/Bridge, which would be a total pain in itself. Its also why we have the M16, M42 & M104.

You've got a point regarding the traffic, and it was something that I didn't fully consider when thinking up of this idea. However, when I think about it, I think there could be some way to get around and not get caught in as much traffic.

Like the red bus lanes on 34th Street. The M34 and M16 are slow, and I saw it today. However, the only reason they were backed up today were due to the buses being packed with passengers. However, the express buses really took advantage of this accessibility by FLYING down the lane, and I've almost never seen an express bus get stuck on a red bus lane when passed Third Avenue. And this was during heavy traffic along the other lanes and Madison Avenue during rush hour. Now, if there can be red bus lanes on 42nd Street, it could help the express buses run down. Notice the "could"; 42nd Street is usually heavy with traffic. But if a red lane with strict guidelines come to fruition, there's a chance that one problem will be partially ironed out. The operative word here is "partially," for the buses laying over around the terminals. Grand Central, if you ask me, is the biggest problem child here. There are so many private express buses and many Staten Island MTA buses traveling around Grand Central already.

Here's where I wrote this:

He mentioned the layover issue here as part of the problem, and I agree with it fully. There will have to be major conversations between the MTA and the other companies before this idea could possibly come into full fruition someday because they all have to come with the scheduling and idea of sorting out all the routes while simultaneously not causing trouble with each other. And keep this in mind: the X25 is returning as a member of a private bus company on Monday.

The traffic at Eighth Avenue will be an issue, especially around Penn Station and the 33rd-street "loop" idea within. Maybe it can work here by eliminating this smaller loop and continue down 34th to Eighth to make the proposal more streamlined. The smaller loop might slow things down a bit too much.

Eight and Ninth Avenue will have traffic, and I agree with that. Combined with the layovers, I think there needs to be kinks in the armor to be fleshed out. The GC-bound stop at the PA Terminal that I was thinking is the M16 stop or one at 40 Street so it doesn't get caught in too much traffic. At Times Square, maybe a stop at the back of the square (between Broadway and Seventh Avenue) where almost no bus lays over. Going to Queens, the PA stop would be where the pre-June 27th stop is: the northeast-side corner of 42nd and Eighth Avenue. But, yes, there are issues to be addressed here with the buses laying over all over the place, and that has to be solved by the higher-ups.

How to speed up bus traffic at Eighth? Hmm... I know that avenue has traffic, but only at times does it get bad. It doesn't get as bad from what I've seen. But I'll have to go to Eighth Avenue again to observe and think of possible solutions. Timed bus lanes (where it's in affect in the morning and afternoon, but not in the evening) may not be the best solution here.

After making its last stop, how to get back? Well, from what I remember, the QM1/1A/2/2A have Super Expresses that will down 36th Street and enter the Midtown Tunnel through there. What I was thinking is that after making its last stop, the laid-overed bus turns on Lex, turn on 36th and return to the tunnel to go back to Richmond Hill. This issue is also one of the reasons why the proposed schedule is thirty-minute headways and not twenty-minute: to give B/Os a bit more time to return and go on another route. To go back to Grand Central, go up Third Avenue and turn on 42nd.

continuing from what I said in the chatbox:

"while your idea would increase options for you current qm23 riders, it wouldn't really bring in any new riders, with what you're proposing..."

....your 23 duplicates the 15 (which siphons a large chunk of the riderbase on woodhaven)....

you'd have to think of ways to increase ridership on the Queens end, not from the manhattan side.... encircling midtown isn't gonna give tha mta a reason to keep the route around, sorry to say...

"downtown loops" work b/c lower manhattan is less widespread (and less congested) than streets in midtown...

I can never see a midtown loop (which, what I have to admit, your idea resembles) working on an express route, full knowing it has to hop on *some* highway to get back to its respective outerborough....

in english, such a routing isn't practical.....

How about a route connecting PABT, Penn Station, Grand Central, and maybe the Empire State Building? It could take advantage of the 34 Street bus lanes.

Kind of reminds me:

Instead of that streetcar line they are planning for 42nd Street, why not have a BRT route that traverses both 34th and 42nd, basically in a loop? Thus there would be no need for the ARC lines to continue in a loop around Midtown (that's what they are planning)

Off-topic, but before I make a new post, anyone know how to take a document [from say, the writing program WordPad] and link it to a post? I made a long sheet detailing new bus route ideas and just copying and pasting it wouldn't be pratical... any help would be appreciated.

Off-topic, but before I make a new post, anyone know how to take a document [from say, the writing program WordPad] and link it to a post? I made a long sheet detailing new bus route ideas and just copying and pasting it wouldn't be pratical... any help would be appreciated.

I don't think so. However, you could try saving it as a Google Document, and link to the Google Document. That was what one of the subway datasheets did. (You might have to open another email account for this)

Well, I did the entire document in the style of the map notes [the service guide on the back of the bus maps]

Until I can link it:

B73: A Peak Rush Hour Route between the B37's old terminals - except that it runs on 5th Av via the B63 and then follows the B37's route to Court St. Obviously, the B37 is still axed in my plan. The B73 exists so that rush hour bus riders still have some service to Downtown Brooklyn. B66/B70 riders from 3rd Av can just take the B73 @ 5 & Bay Ridge Avs

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Towards Court St Weekdays: 6:44, 7:00, 7:16. 7:33, and 7:49 AM

Towards Shore Rd

Weekdays: 4:02, 4:26, 4:50, 5:14, 5:38, and 6:04 PM

F R E Q U E N C Y O F S E R V I C E

AM NOON PM EVE NITE

Weekdays: 5 trips - 6 trips - -

B73 Routing:

Shore Rd -> 4 Av -> 5 Av -> Flatbush Av -> Livingston St -> Boerum Pl -> Joralemon St -> Court St -> Livingston St

Livingston St -> Flatbush Av -> 5 Av -> Marine Av -> Shore Rd

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Also a B103 supplement called the B113. Another Peak Rush Hour Route, running between Starett City [b82 Terminal] and Downtown Brooklyn.

B113 LTD Routing:

Pennsylvania Av -> Flatlands Av -> Ralph Av -> Ave H -> Flatbush Av* -> Livingston St -> Smith St -> Fulton St -> Joralemon St -> Cadman Plaza West -> Tillary St

Tillary St -> Jay St -> Livingston St -> Flatbush Av* -> Ave H -> Ralph Av -> Flatlands Av -> Pennsylvania Av

* - Operates non-stop between Triangle Junction and Atlantic Terminal via Flatbush Av, Beverly Rd, Ocean Pkwy, Prospect Expwy [both directions] and 4 Av [both directions]

Archived