SEPTA: When are fares paid?

Amtrak7

On SEPTA, when do you pay your fare? When you get on or when you get off? I've heard multiple things.

One-zone bus/trolley: Boarding

Suburban trolley (101/102): ?

Multi-zone bus: ?

Norristown High-Speed Line: ?

On SEPTA, when do you pay your fare? When you get on or when you get off? I've heard multiple things.

One-zone bus/trolley: Boarding

Suburban trolley (101/102): ?

Multi-zone bus: ?

Norristown High-Speed Line: ?

On the Suburban trollies, and the And the Norristown High Speed Line you pay when you get off,

Most of the suburban routes i rode in frontier area (127, 124, 99, 96, 98, 95, 90) Are pay as you board, however the Victory routes i rode 106, 103, 107, 115, 108, 113, 119 are pay when you get off. It varies since frontier and victory cover different area, but they are both considered Suburban depots

How does that work?

Because the driver is not in the vehicle when you board. Plus they switch drivers at layover when you board. So to make things easier you pay when you get off.

The only routes you pay when you get off is the victory/red arrow routes that operate at 69th st terminal.

I caught myself doing the opposite on suburban vehicles. I pay when I get on. :)B)

Because the driver is not in the vehicle when you board. Plus they switch drivers at layover when you board. So to make things easier you pay when you get off.

The only routes you pay when you get off is the victory/red arrow routes that operate at 69th st terminal.

I caught myself doing the opposite on suburban vehicles. I pay when I get on. :):o

I still dont understand. Driver is not on board when you get on? Am I mistaken or does Norristown High Speedline only have 2 stops?

I still dont understand. Driver is not on board when you get on? Am I mistaken or does Norristown High Speedline only have 2 stops?

The norristown high speed line has 22 stations. And if I remember correctly, I think the pay-as-you-unboard only applies to OUTBOUND routes from 69th Street Terminal. If you're coming inbound to 69th street, you have to pay immediately as you get on. I am not too sure about Red Arrow (Victory) routes that do not serve 69th Street (114, 115, 117-119, 125), but I think on the entirety of those routes you have to pay like normal-as you get on.

the driver knows where you got on because the pay when you get off only applys to the first zone of travel, after that (say you get on at the second zone) then you pay when you get on the system works because most of the routes are 2 zone anyway. Now for the 3 zone routes this is how it works (boarding wise)

Zone 1: Pay as you get off

Zone 2: Pay as you get on but say where you are going

Zone 3: Pay as you get on

The only two 4 zone routes for SEPTA skip straight from zone 1 to zone 4 and the normal 2 zone rules apply

Archived