Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Wonder if the R-110B's were in service today

QDover

I want to know from people who remember what it was like when the R-110B's were running on 8th Ave and wherever else they were before they were retired, did they work well? Would they have been excelling on the (A) or (C)? Were they fast?

I want to know from people who remember what it was like when the R-110B's were running on 8th Ave and wherever else they were before they were retired, did they work well? Would they have been excelling on the (A) or (C)? Were they fast?
They wouldnt be in service too long considering they were just test trains,and that the shop wouldn`t have spare parts to keep em going.I almost caught it once in 2000 at euclid o the manhattan bound (C)

They wouldnt be in service too long considering they were just test trains,and that the shop wouldn`t have spare parts to keep em going.I almost caught it once in 2000 at euclid o the manhattan bound (C)

Caught it on the (C) back in 2000, I was very surprised though. As for fast, I'm not quite sure, but it was much more smooth. SLC09 nailed this: they were not for production, but merely to test new technology on the trains: such as automated announcements and such. Much of the technology you see on the NTTs today have their origins in the R110 A/B

I do remember takin a ride on the R110B back in like 1997.

The R110A never road, just caught in 1996 at 14th STreet on the (2)

Does any1 know wat propulsion both 110s used? And are they simlar to some cars of today?

hey i Rember the R110B it was in 1996 on the (A) i caught it randomly when i was with my mom and i was 6 at the time and yes it was a smooth ride.

i never rode the 110A ,

and 2 idk what propulsion they used. i don't know if anybody recorded any videos of them either.

hey i Rember the R110B it was in 1996 on the (A) i caught it randomly when i was with my mom and i was 6 at the time and yes it was a smooth ride.

i never rode the 110A ,

and 2 idk what propulsion they used. i don't know if anybody recorded any videos of them either.

the R110B "only"Ran exclusively on the (A) but when a set broke down the 3007-3009 was canablized for parts to keep the other 2 sets in service so it was swaped to the (C) but the route map only had the (A) so that was out of use C/Rs had to manualy do anouncements .it was last in service on the (C) in 2000 due to low mbdf and problems. I've seen a picture tho that shows in 207st yard the 110b with the (J) sign.

i never rode the 110A ,

the R110B "only"Ran exclusively on the (A) but when a set broke down the 3007-3009 was canablized for parts to keep the other 2 sets in service so it was swaped to the (C) but the route map only had the (A) so that was out of use C/Rs had to manualy do anouncements .it was last in service on the (C) in 2000 due to low mbdf and problems. I've seen a picture tho that shows in 207st yard the 110b with the (J) sign.

The signs also had a Grey K and and Orange A along with (A) and (C) bullets that also had the destination on them. I don't know if the R131s had programs of anything aside from the (A) though.

R110B's pwn the bland R160's.

I do remember takin a ride on the R110B back in like 1997.

The R110A never road, just caught in 1996 at 14th STreet on the (2)

Does any1 know wat propulsion both 110s used? And are they simlar to some cars of today?

the 110A's used the Adtranz motors found on the R142A and R143.

the 110B's used GE motors. idk what they sounded like, but they probably sound like the 1000 series on the WMATA.

will they ever be used in service soon?

no. the R110A's suffered damage from a fire, and are in need of spare parts that the (MTA) doesn't have the time or money to obtain.

The R110B's have been split up. one set was canibalized. another set was split up and sent to various places, and the last set is sitting in 207th street yard with the canibalized set.

no. the R110A's suffered damage from a fire, and are in need of spare parts that the (MTA) doesn't have the time or money to obtain.

The R110B's have been split up. one set was canibalized. another set was split up and sent to various places, and the last set is sitting in 207th street yard with the canibalized set.

ok then

The signs also had a Grey K and and Orange A along with (A) and (C) bullets that also had the destination on them. I don't know if the R131s had programs of anything aside from the (A) though.

i don't think so because when they went on the C the c/r's had to manualy anounce everything.

imo they should have just tested them on the (Z)instead. and wouldn't have had to be stressed back then.

I never was lucky to catch an R110B (R131) but I remember seeing signs for them at stations like Van Siclen Avenue when it was testing on the (A)(C).

I think the closest I got was seeing an R110B pass in the opposite direction once on Fulton Street.

I rode the R131 (110B) trainset from 42st/PABT to Far Rockaway and back to 42nd back in August 1994, when they were still brand new, and yes, they had the same propulsion (GE) as Boston's MBTA 01800 series car which was a tack-on order, ironically to the R131 cars, which were also made at the same BBD Factory in Barre, VT

Archived