Journey to catch the R160 R train(with a dangerous twist)

Ftrainfan

Sorry! My CPU restarted. Anyway...

I was on the (G) , my starting line of course. Going to court square to take the shuttle bus to the (R). When I got to the (R) at queens plaza , It was the R46. I was thinking "Darn! Oh well. I still have the rest of my trip to see if I could get the 160 (R) train." I rode the normal (R) train to 71 ave. That's when I saw it. The R160 (R) train across from my end. I got off my train and tried to get it before the doors closed. But I was too late. Darn again! I just disappointedly watched the R160 (R) leave the station. From that point I waited at the platform for it to come again.(cause I know there's more than one R160 on the R line.) I was waiting for about a hour and some change. All I saw between that time were several R46 (R) trains , and R160 (E) and (F) trains. plus I saw a dude with a striped shirt holding a canon camera. I think that was a railfanner. I wanted to approach him , but I was scared. So I didn't. Anyway after all that time waiting , I saw the R160 (R) TRAIN AGAIN!!!! :P. I was happily switching sides and I got in. The bad news is....

I FORGOT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE HEADING TO LAY-UP!!! :eek:

The train closed it's doors and started moving. It was going and going until I saw sunlight. from the corner of the tunnel. Then the train stopped. released it's breaks and then all the lights and LED's in the train turned off. I WAS STUCK!!!:eek:. I panicked for about 5 minutes. Then I gave up and just sad there. cried a little. I was like " Well this is what I get for railfanning . I should never hop on just any train." I was so scared. An hour later, a conductor comes and turns all the stuff back on. He told me "Hey , Why are you here. This train was out of service. You're just lucky this train is not set to stay until tuesday. Don't worry , this train will go back around shortly." That's when I was relieved. The train did in fact made a reverse trip back. I was so happy. I got pics of inside and on board stuff. I'll upload them as soon as I get a new USB. Later.

Woah...I have had nightmares like this one before lol. What happened to those guys at Continental that check the train for leftover passengers before the doors close? Someone should get in trouble for this one.

Also, where exactly were you laid up?

Yeah it's not worth it. But I did have a nearly similar experience:

A few years ago when the GC-TS S had the wraps to promote that HBO show deadwood, I wanted to get a few interior shots of the train and then the lights turned off [9pm] I was muttering 'oh shit' or something to that degree, but the t/o got out of the cab and keyed us out.

Basically that taught me to not stay on the train and just wait another day for pics.

They really need to do a better job of fumigating the train at 71st/Continental. If an overzealous railfan could get stuck on a train, imagine what a terrorist could do.

With surface security, that'll dwindle their chances of getting in somewhat, but I agree with you for the most part.

Terrorist wouldnt blow that up becuase its just darkness around it and no one is in the train... unless he sets a bomb and detonates it when it reverses back

I have to agree with that point. But I can imagine why they'd want R160s on the locals. At least the crews can peer thru all the cars because of the added rear windows b/w cars.

Terrorist wouldnt blow that up becuase its just darkness around it and no one is in the train... unless he sets a bomb and detonates it when it reverses back

Blowing up a layed-up train sitting on the tracks near Continental would seriously damage the infastructure of the main artery and terminal of the QB corridor. Not all terrorists want to kill people, some just want to cause serious economic disruptions to send a message. An empty, dark train is a perfect place for a terrorist to want to infiltrate.

Archived