Journey to catch the R160 R train(with a dangerous twist)

Ftrainfan

sorry to get a little off topic but, this happens often on buses. I heard of drunks knocked out on the back of a bus in Quill calling 911 tell the 911 operators that they were stuck on a bus and did not know where they were at. I remember 2 people getting in trouble for not checking that bus.One was the B/O that had it in service that day and the second person was the shifter that parked it. Just image being stuck on the bus on a roof not knowing how to operate the doors, cant open the emergency windows cause the buses and parked so tight and just being hopeless. lucky for him he had a phone. oh by the way where are those pix at??

I was on the (G) , my starting line of course. Going to court square to take the shuttle bus to the (R). When I got to the (R) at queens plaza , It was the R46. I was thinking "Darn! Oh well. I still have the rest of my trip to see if I could get the 160 (R) train." I rode the normal (R) train to 71 ave. That's when I saw it. The R160 (R) train across from my end. I got off my train and tried to get it before the doors closed. But I was too late. Darn again! I just disappointedly watched the R160 (R) leave the station. From that point I waited at the platform for it to come again.(cause I know there's more than one R160 on the R line.) I was waiting for about a hour and some change. All I saw between that time were several R46 (R) trains , and R160 (E) and (F) trains. plus I saw a dude with a striped shirt holding a canon camera. I think that was a railfanner. I wanted to approach him , but I was scared. So I didn't. Anyway after all that time waiting , I saw the R160 (R) TRAIN AGAIN!!!! :P. I was happily switching sides and I got in. The bad news is....

I FORGOT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE HEADING TO LAY-UP!!! :eek:

The train closed it's doors and started moving. It was going and going until I saw sunlight. from the corner of the tunnel. Then the train stopped. released it's breaks and then all the lights and LED's in the train turned off. I WAS STUCK!!!:eek:. I panicked for about 5 minutes. Then I gave up and just sad there. cried a little. I was like " Well this is what I get for railfanning . I should never hop on just any train." I was so scared. An hour later, a conductor comes and turns all the stuff back on. He told me "Hey , Why are you here. This train was out of service. You're just lucky this train is not set to stay until tuesday. Don't worry , this train will go back around shortly." That's when I was relieved. The train did in fact made a reverse trip back. I was so happy. I got pics of inside and on board stuff. I'll upload them as soon as I get a new USB. Later.

All I can say is what the F--K were you thinking about jumping on a train thats not in serivce at CTL. North Side train do not always come out. Now the T/O has to pull the dame train in cousing propeblem and delays since they have to hold up serivce while this is being done..

As for the Platform worker, what did you do jump in while there backs were turned away from you. I would be swring up and down that I cleaned out my cars and this ASS Hole jumped in while I had my back turn to give the C/R of the train permition to close down.

I hope this teaches you a dame leason.

They really need to do a better job of fumigating the train at 71st/Continental. If an overzealous railfan could get stuck on a train, imagine what a terrorist could do.

Read what he posted. HE jumped in as the dame doors are closing. It not the worker fault, it his. He the jurk I hate. I have them once in awhile at Chamber or broad St. They jump in as the door are close after the train was cleaning out and my back is turned.

sorry to get a little off topic but, this happens often on buses. I heard of drunks knocked out on the back of a bus in Quill calling 911 tell the 911 operators that they were stuck on a bus and did not know where they were at. I remember 2 people getting in trouble for not checking that bus.One was the B/O that had it in service that day and the second person was the shifter that parked it. Just image being stuck on the bus on a roof not knowing how to operate the doors, cant open the emergency windows cause the buses and parked so tight and just being hopeless. lucky for him he had a phone. oh by the way where are those pix at??

A bus I can see these 2 getting into trouble for. Come on the bus is no longer 60ft long. I walked my bus way before pulling into my depot. I looked at the last stop before leaving it to head back.

You sure you managed to get onto an OOS train at CTL, which has plenty of TA personnel around to kick you off if you did attempt such?

its not exactly the same but in the STM when i first started exploring the system at 15 i saw a incoming MR63 and i wanted to get it turns out it was the last stop and even though

Heres my "dangerous" story:

I walked up the stairs @ 59th and lex going home and a R160 (R) train pulled in. the end. =P

Anyway, I can't wait to see the pics. How many did you take since you had so much time on your hands?

So I didn't. Anyway after all that time waiting , I saw the R160 TRAIN AGAIN!!!! . I was happily switching sides and I got in. The bad news is....

Ok not for nothing but how old are you?

You cant tell the difference between the platform you got off the train that is out of service than a platform that has a train in customer service?

You could have gotten people in trouble(and still may) or gotten yourself hurt if you panicked enough to get off that train in the tunnel.

You need to use a bit more common sense.

Read what he posted. HE jumped in as the dame doors are closing. It not the worker fault, it his. He the jurk I hate. I have them once in awhile at Chamber or broad St. They jump in as the door are close after the train was cleaning out and my back is turned.

Happnens to me as well then they sit there and wonder why the train isnt moving the OTHER way back to Brooklyn.

Interesting story,if that was me I would had pressed the intercom immediately to alert the T/O or C/R.If it was off I would had went to either the 1st car where the driver was or the 5th/6th or 10th car.Also I would had been taking pics of the layup and the dark interior of the R160.And yes please don't foam over a R160 (R) honestly its not worth it I don't approve/like 160's on the (R).The only line I approve & I like em on is the (F),(J),(N),(Q),(W),(M).The (E) ill,(L) naw,(R) terrible.Better luck next time.That's sad u were trapped for an hr.

I actually have some sympathy for the OP. 2 weeks ago I was at Continental since trackwork required me to go there in order to catch a Manhattan bound train. This was my first time ever going to Continental on a local. Before this, I only went to Continental on express trains. I was originally going to stay on the (R) train so that I can ride it to Manhattan when it turned around. However, at the station I heard the conductor say "All passengers off" so I got off. But what if the conductor was impossible to understand (which happens alot)? I would have stayed on the train and been trapped in the tunnel.

I feel bad for tourists or out of towners who go to Continental. I would imagine they get stuck since they don't know the system.

I actually have some sympathy for the OP. 2 weeks ago I was at Continental since trackwork required me to go there in order to catch a Manhattan bound train. This was my first time ever going to Continental on a local. Before this, I only went to Continental on express trains. I was originally going to stay on the (R) train so that I can ride it to Manhattan when it turned around. However, at the station I heard the conductor say "All passengers off" so I got off. But what if the conductor was impossible to understand (which happens alot)? I would have stayed on the train and been trapped in the tunnel.

I feel bad for tourists or out of towners who go to Continental. I would imagine they get stuck since they don't know the system.

They have platform cleaners to kick everyone off the train.

I don't know if going out is the safest idea. There is the third rail that could electrcute you and you don't know what other equipment is on the way back to the station. Don't forget, it is pitch black in the tunnel and a person not familiar with the tunnel might easily step onto the third rail or walk onto the track and get hit by a train, or fall in a hole near the track.

Basically, it is best to stay put, at least for a little while, just so that you know for sure that the Conductor and motorman aren't coming back and that there is no way you can get in contact with anybody.

If the train went into the yard:

1. I would call 911

2. If I didnt have a phone I would try to go through the doors between cars and get out

2 problems with that:

1. Your phone would likely not work

2. If it's an R46, you can't go in between cars. And if it's an R160, are you going to jump to the track? It's a long fall. You would likely sprain or break your ankle. My father climbed trains everyday when he was a conductor, and one thing he told me is that the trains are much higher than people think they are. When your in the track, a train car is almost as tall as a house. The only thing you can do is try to get into a cab and start honking the horn like crazy.

You sure you managed to get onto an OOS train at CTL, which has plenty of TA personnel around to kick you off if you did attempt such?

its not exactly the same but in the STM when i first started exploring the system at 15 i saw a incoming MR63 and i wanted to get it, turns out it was the last stop and even though it did go into the tunnel fortunatly it wasnt the Depot tunnel it was just a swithcing tunnel but the train stayed for a good 20 minutes and it is frightning but dont you have some kind of emergency call box inside the train that contacts MTA personel?

Archived