Were you ever stuck on a train in the train yard?

Abba

Someone told an interesting story here of about he was stuck on a train that was going for layup in the train yardhttp://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19382.So has anyone else been caught in a similar situation?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this isn't with the subway, but I remember during the summer, I was on the MNRR going back to White Plains when at Fordham the train had door problems(wouldn't close) so I waited and waited. The air conditioning on the train was so cold and the leather seats were so comfortable, I fell asleep. Next thing you know, The train engineer had to wake me when we were at the North White Plains Yard!

Someone told an interesting story here of about he was stuck on a train that was going for layup in the train yardhttp://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19382.So has anyone else been caught in a similar situation?

It's a mess when a train takes a passenger to the yard. Then they got to get the train back into a station, then back to the yard. Oh, yes you will be written up also, so will platform conductors who suppose to clean out the trains, when assigned to do so.........

It's a mess when a train takes a passenger to the yard. Then they got to get the train back into a station, then back to the yard. Oh, yes you will be written up also, so will platform conductors who suppose to clean out the trains, when assigned to do so.........

Depending on what equipment is used, or available in the yard, will a single car ever be used to bring a passenger out of the yard without having to move an entire train?

I imagine that regardless of what's used to move the stowaway, that HAS to cause delays and/or yard rerouting as well as piss the yardmaster off. :mad:

Depending on what equipment is used, or available in the yard, will a single car ever be used to bring a passenger out of the yard without having to move an entire train?

I imagine that regardless of what's used to move the stowaway, that HAS to cause delays and/or yard rerouting as well as piss the yardmaster off. :mad:

You will never see a single subway car moving in any type of service except for garbage train duties or construction. It takes too much time and resources to cut a train.

You will never see a single subway car moving in any type of service except for garbage train duties or construction. It takes too much time and resources to cut a train.

Single cars don't run due to the possibility it could gap out.

I just remember that being a Passbook question. That's a good point though, Joe; especially doing track switching in a yard.

It seems like a logical reason, you wouldn't want a single car dead over a switch, impeding the paths of other trains.

So, even when cars like the R32's could be operated as singles, individual cars never pull multiple switch moves? Where a pair or a longer used when track switching was called for?

The (D) and (N) pass through Coney Island Yard to go to Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue. Sometimes I had either a (D) or (N) stuck by the yard. Does that count?

No because the train is in service.I'm talking about being on a train that is not in service.

Sometimes when I take long subway ride, I get sleepy but I stay awake even if it makes me sleepy.

If I fall asleep, I will not wake up easily, even with T/O or C/O, Platform workers shake me because I am sound sleeper and hard sleeper.

For example, if I fall asleep in noon, I will not wake up until evening.

I remember when I went on Hudson Line's Poughkeepsie return trip to Grand Central, I fall alseep on evening train because it was very dark outside.

Another incident, while I was taking note of all B15 JFK stops from Woodhull Hospital, I fall asleep and woke up in middle of New Lots Av run.

When I was on 20:30 Mega Bus M21 NY, because it was very dark, I fall asleep around 10:30pm and woke up around 12:00am.

Sometimes when I take long subway ride, but I still awake even if it makes me sleepy.

If I fall asleep, I will not wake up easily, even with T/O or C/O, Platform workers shake me because I am sound sleeper and hard sleeper.

For example, if I fall asleep in noon, I will not wake up until evening.

You gotta find a way to stay awake.You have an Ipod or MP3 player to keep you awake?

I remembered one time there was a G.O. where all the A's terminated at Euclid. My mom was asleep and my sister was sleeping. I was awake and didn't know that there was a G.O. I was around maybe 7 or 8. We were on an R-38 A train that went to Pitkin Yard. Ironically enough, the same cars that were in the pictures of the Transit Museum thread from yesterday, the R-10's. Those were the same R-10's I saw at Pitkin those many years ago.

It was a great view. That was when the R-10's and R-30's just retired too.

So, even when cars like the R32's could be operated as singles, individual cars never pull multiple switch moves? Where a pair or a longer used when track switching was called for?

Singles won't operate because trains even longer than that can gap out. Particularly in yard, going through large switch plants, Married pairs and sometimes even 4 cars could possibly gap out. 239th and Pitkin have some tracks like that (for instance, at 239 one of the leads to the lower yard).

Stranger things have happened.

One time I fell asleep on a Q39 heading to Queens Plaza and didnt wake up until it came back around and passed the Court Square Building. I had to walk back to get the (N)(W). This may not count but one time I feel asleep on the (N) out of Ditmars and woke up at 20av on the Sea Beach Line. I then took it back to new Utrecht for a transfer to (M2) at 62av and luckily rode in car number 8502 (that happens to be my favorite r160a-1 car even before this happened) all the way back up to my home stop of Fresh Pond Road.

One time my friend was drunk late at night at around 400a.m on (M2) and fell asleep under a bench. he woke up at 630a.m in the Fresh Pond Yard right about when it was going to pull out to go in service.

One time I fell asleep on a Q39 heading to Queens Plaza and didnt wake up until it came back around and passed the Court Square Building. I had to walk back to get the (N)(W). This may not count but one time I feel asleep on the (N) out of Ditmars and woke up at 20av on the Sea Beach Line. I then took it back to new Utrecht for a transfer to (M2) at 62av and luckily rode in car number 8502 (that happens to be my favorite r160a-1 car even before this happened) all the way back up to my home stop of Fresh Pond Road.

One time my friend was drunk late at night at around 400a.m on (M2) and fell asleep under a bench. he woke up at 630a.m in the Fresh Pond Yard right about when it was going to pull out to go in service.

Oh wow!!! Can you imagine his reaction.How long did it take for him to be found?

Oh wow!!! Can you imagine his reaction.How long did it take for him to be found?

He was pretty freaked out when he realized where he was.He was in the yard for a few hours then a T/O woke him up and asked him why he was there. My friend, hungover of course, said he fell asleep and ended up in the yard. The T/O said that the train will leave the yard in 15 minutes so he can get off then. I couldn't stop laughing when he told me that story!! :)

...I actually kinda wish that happened to me if I fall asleep and the train won't be out of service for long.. It would be exciting. Call me crazy, but after reading Low Boy (which mentioned 6 train turns around at the old glitzy City Hall) I want to know where trains go..besides the yards. There are probably old abandoned stations and other such things we passengers don't get to see..

Archived