Anybody use the LIRR for vacation trips?

judycwrite

I only go out to the Island for vacations. And I'll tell ya, the best part of my trip is the initial ride out there. I usually go far out in Suffolk county, so I end up taking the double-decker diesels...so much fun. The LIRR offers a fast and smooth ride, espeically if you get an M7 car...very comfortable. (MTA)

Cool! I used to use the railroad all the time then slacked off to get "more freedom" driving. But with traffic jams, and gas prices, forget that!!! It adds so much anxiety and frustration to my vacation I don't think "freedom" in this case is worth it. Yeah, there is something relaxing about riding the rails and zipping by all those lines of cars wasting gas as I pass them by. It's weird how often I have the car all to myself!!

As a little kid my parents would take me on the LIRR from Flatbush to Patchogue. From there we would take a ferry to Davis Park on Fire Island. We only did this when one parent was already there and took the car or when one had to go to work on Monday during the summer. As a little kid, I loved this so much.

See? That's it! I remember taking the train to the beach. My favorite memory is leaving the hot city and feeling like a tightly crumpled piece of tin foil. Then as I saw less and less buildings and more trees I relaxed becoming a shiny sheet of bright aluminum ready to reflect all the sun and be cooled by ocean breezes. I just love it!

Archived