Before the MCI D4500

WannaBeMTA12

what bus was used before the MCI D4500? or were they bought wen they MTA took over the private lines?

but wat was used on the X routes in NYCT? ex. x1, x63 etc before MCI's?

thanks

The first time I ever used an express bus was in 2000. I got on a RTS X63 with cushioned seats. It was awesome. There were also a few RTS buses with blue leather seats. The QM21 used to use MCI Classics. I used that bus once. The interior looked like a school bus. However, the seats were comfortable. This is the interior of a MCI Classic (the MCI Classic on the QM21 had beige leather seats):

SN852804.jpg

The first time I ever used an express bus was in 2000. I got on a RTS X63 with cushioned seats. It was awesome. There were also a few RTS buses with blue leather seats. The QM21 used to use MCI Classics. I used that bus once. The interior looked like a school bus. However, the seats were comfortable. This is the interior of a MCI Classic (the MCI Classic on the QM21 had beige leather seats):

SN852804.jpg

I remeber these with triboro coach.Its weird to see a classic with a rear exit door after seeing these.

I remeber these with triboro coach.Its weird to see a classic with a rear exit door after seeing these.

Funny you should say it looks weird to see a Classic with a rear door, living in Ottawa all the OC Transpo Classics had rear doors and only two of Gatineau's (STO) didn't. Whenever I see the only Classic that is still in service without a rear door for the STO

(#9007) I always have to do a double take to make sure I am seeing it right.

any pics? greatly appreciated if so....

images%3Fq%3Dmci%2Bclassic%2Bexpress%2Bbuses%2Bmta%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1

This is a nice exterior shot of an MCI classic that I found (not my pic)...I used to love when these buses pulled up instead of an Orion 5.

Also, if my eyes are not deceiving me, it looks like there were outlets on the top of the luggage racks in Forest Glen's picture. That would be so incredibly useful today on the MCI's. I can't really imagine they were used too heavily in the early to mid 90's before the proliferation of laptops, cell phones, etc. Oh well.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://thebergennetwork.com/na/ny/mtabus/7325.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thebergennetwork.com/na/ny/mtabus/mciclassic-nybs.php&usg=__OqQwZN1IQmYDWtfIdRi20MmN_hw=&h=466&w=700&sz=154&hl=en&start=9&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=Oa3F4Y-5W1wpqM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmci%2Bclassic%2Bexpress%2Bbuses%2Bmta%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1

what bus was used before the MCI D4500? or were they bought wen they MTA took over the private lines?

thanks

NYCT : GMC RTS / NovaBus RTS-06 Suburbans & Orion V Suburbans & MCI 102-DLW3SS Coaches

MTA Bus : Depends on which private company, some had TMC RTS/RTS CNGs, Orion V CNGs, The Orion V Suburbans which are now at Casey Stengel, MCI Classics & GM New Look Suburbans (or Fishbowls)

I think that the MCI D4500CLs were ordered after the takeover.

Back when the Priviate lines were kicking ass, This is what they used on Express Routes:

Jamaica Buses: on the QM21 MCI Classics and 1986 GMC RTS 04's 96" Wide buses, 571-582 (ex Command Buses) Once in a Blue Moon a TMC RTS 06 or a 102" 1985 GMC RTS 04, Before 2000, They also used the Grunman 870's

Green Lines: MCI Classics, GMC RTS and Orion V's

Queens Serface: MCI Classics and Orion V's, Before 1999, They used their Half of their Rebuilt 1979 RTS 03's, They had a Box look rear end and they had Blue Leather seats.

They don't look like they would do anything for the person sitting next to the window (unless the depth of the picture is messed up)

Either the window seat would have its own pair of lights directly under the rack and out of view, or if both seats share the one set visible, the light on this pair, closest to the window seat tilts at an angle that would be over the seat. (you know, the actual light is encased in those round tilting modules inside the hole).

RTS Nova at Ulmer with suburban seats:

DSC22682.jpg

DSC22684.jpg

RTS buses with suburban seating was a pain in the ass to sit in.You can tell they were made with express in mind.Try riding in one of these on the Q3 and Q83 during rush hour.The MCI classic express buses barely had any headroom to stand.The best place to sit in a RTS suburban was the front seat near the entrance because of the convience of exiting withou shoving,the comfortable seat and the view from the front window.Worse spot.window seat FTL:tdown:

RTS buses with suburban seating was a pain in the ass to sit in.You can tell they were made with express in mind.Try riding in one of these on the Q3 and Q83 during rush hour.The MCI classic express buses barely had any headroom to stand.The best place to sit in a RTS suburban was the front seat near the entrance because of the convience of exiting withou shoving,the comfortable seat and the view from the front window.Worse spot.window seat FTL:tdown:

Do the Jamaica RTS' still have the suburban seating or were they reseated?

And what about Ulmer Park?

Agree 10000% Whenever these were on the Q46 they always ran it during rush hour, and it would be soo packed. Plus, some delinquints were always cutting the padding up with knives or whatever, leaving hanging fabric all over the place. :cry:

Ulmer Park's were reseated.

I think you mean the few still at Ulmer are reseated, but the majority sent to LGA were reseated there.

Yes I agree, those buses never should've run on local routes any time other than middays or very low use lines. I've seen packed B6 buses around Midwood HS. I would not ride those buses as I know I'm not gonna fit in that bus.

But if it is not crowded, then the ride is pretty nice. Better than hard plastic seats for $2.25.

thanks

The first use of MCI buses by NYCT was if I recall, during the Grumman/Flxible 870 crisis. They took an emergency lease from Hausman Bus Sales of a fleet of former Greyhound MC-8's to fill in until the cracked frame issue was resolved.

The first buses used on Queens Surface routes when they initiated express service were standard transit GMC's (not 'suburban' one door, raised floor model's), except that they had upgraded padded seats.

I don't believe QSC bought any DL3's or D4500's until they were absorbed by MTA Bus. They did have some Classic's, if you want to call those MCI's...

I think you mean the few still at Ulmer are reseated, but the majority sent to LGA were reseated there.

Yes I agree, those buses never should've run on local routes any time other than middays or very low use lines. I've seen packed B6 buses around Midwood HS. I would not ride those buses as I know I'm not gonna fit in that bus.

But if it is not crowded, then the ride is pretty nice. Better than hard plastic seats for $2.25.

IAWTP:tup:

Archived