Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

MTA to Get Rid of Hundreds of Bus Stops

LexAveExp5

http://www.ny1.com/1-all-boroughs-news-content/117172/mta-to-get-rid-of-hundreds-of-bus-stops

As the Metropolitan Transportation Authority prepares to eliminate dozens of bus routes, the agency is also getting rid of hundreds of bus stops on the lines that remain.

Final figures for the MTA's upcoming service cuts show riders face the loss of some 611 bus stops. There will be 25 bus stops added to accommodate changes to bus routes.

All the changes mean the MTA will have to replace 8,600 route maps found near bus stops.

Changes to subway service will force the agency to remake more than 2,700 signs throughout the subway system.

The cuts go into effect June 27th.

i always felt there didnt need to be a bus stop EVERY TWO BLOCKS. sorry grandma, gotta WALK to the bus! and maybe the rest of us can get to work on time now

http://www.ny1.com/1-all-boroughs-news-content/117172/mta-to-get-rid-of-hundreds-of-bus-stops

i always felt there didnt need to be a bus stop EVERY TWO BLOCKS. sorry grandma, gotta WALK to the bus! and maybe the rest of us can get to work on time now

In some cases there is a need. If a stop is lightly used and additional parking is not needed in the area, it does no good to remove the stop. Just means you have to walk farther and risk the chance of missing a bus you otherwise would have caught. In those cases, no running time is saved and people are just inconvenienced.

Also if the stops are heavily used, eliminating stops will just overcrowd the remaining ones. It only makes sense to have three block spacing on moderately used bus stops.

In Hollis, the Jamaica-bound Q2 and Q3 stop twice on the same block.

Same for the N4, Q5, Q84, Q85, & Q89 on Merrick (near Linden).

Well by then I probably won't be using the (MTA) every single day so I don't care lol. I hope it speeds up trips though.

A prime example of a route in need of this is the B49. It has a stop on EVERY SINGLE BLOCK!!!!!!! (Av Z, Av Y, Av X, Av W, Av V, Av U, Av T, Av S, Av R, Quentin Road, Av P, Av O, etc............)

But those are long blocks. Usually for buses running on long blocks, it's common for them to stop each block, such as Manhattan crosstowns (cause it's approximately 2-3 short blocks, the distance between stops on short blocks).

The B41 N/B stops of Flatlands and Kings Hwy are so close to each other. That one of the few I can think of, off hand.

But those are long blocks. Usually for buses running on long blocks, it's common for them to stop each block, such as Manhattan crosstowns (cause it's approximately 2-3 short blocks, the distance between stops on short blocks).

IDK what they should do, but right now, the 49 is ridiculous...it stops everywhere. Maybe make skip-stop bus service:p

This makes perfect sense. Bus stops should be every 3-4 blocks apart, not every 1-2. If they are every 4 blocks apart the most you'd ever have to walk to a stop is 2 bocks. This'll improve running time and reduce the number of buses needed.

A prime example of a route in need of this is the B49. It has a stop on EVERY SINGLE BLOCK!!!!!!! (Av Z, Av Y, Av X, Av W, Av V, Av U, Av T, Av S, Av R, Quentin Road, Av P, Av O, etc............)

That's the bus I took from Fulton Street and Nostrand Avenue! It was horribly slow and if I had the stamina to keep a constant pace, I could have very well jogged all the way from there to Church Avenue before the bus got there.

That's the bus I took from Fulton Street and Nostrand Avenue! It was horribly slow and if I had the stamina to keep a constant pace, I could have very well jogged all the way from there to Church Avenue before the bus got there.

IDK, but I meant it's slower than a turtle south of Foster (when it turns onto Ocean).

Stops:

Foster

Something

Av H

Av I

Av J

Av K

Av L

Av Z

The B41 N/B stops of Flatlands and Kings Hwy are so close to each other. That one of the few I can think of, off hand.

Agreed about that stop. But it is only there because of the transfer to the B82. And I don't think riders wants to run for that bus.

Maybe a compromise would be to move the B82 stop to Loft Pl so the walk would be closer?

It has to stop every block because one of those blocks equal three small blocks. It is no different than any other route. The answer isn't to change the stop spacing. I've also ridden that bus. It is extremely slow due to the heavy turnover at every stop. The increase in the off-peak loading guidelines from 100% to 125% of a seated load will mean fewer buses and even more people getting on and off at each stop making the route even slower than it is now.

The answer is either to increase service, so the buses are less crowded, use articulated buses with three doors, improve traffic on Bedford and Rogers Avenue and reduce double parking all along the route, and one final method. That would be to encourage more people to use the Brighton subway instead of the bus altogether which would also speed service if the number of buses are not reduced. That could be accomplished by changing the fare structure to allow unlimited travel within two hours on a single fare. That way, students using the B49 and another bus route to go to Kingsborough College or Goldstein High School could take a bus to the Brighton Line and then switch back to the bus at Brighton Beach or Sheepshead Bay for a single fare saving them time and reducing the number of people on the B49.

Lord please get rid of some of the stops on Kissena...some of those stops are so close if the Q17 25 or 34 ever used artics the back of the bus would be in one stop and the front of the bus would be at the next stop.

Agreed about that. Also now that all the lines are under the MTA umbrella, is there a need for all 3 to make all stops? I mean why not have either the Q25 or Q34 run limited only and the other all stops? And if riders needs the other bus for the local stops, they should ask the b/o for a transfer so they can get on the other bus.

Lord please get rid of some of the stops on Kissena...some of those stops are so close if the Q17 25 or 34 ever used artics the back of the bus would be in one stop and the front of the bus would be at the next stop.

Would this be a problem because a group of people got lazy and split up between the two stops, someone aboard the bus taking their sweet time sitting on the bus for another few yards, or a combination? I just can't imagine someone ringing the bell for the bus to stop just a few yards later.

From the Horace Harding down to Main Street doesn't the Q17 and Q25 LTDs service the same stops???...if so maybe the MTA should try out something like super LTD on the Q17 LTD run non stop from Main Street to the Horace Harding...ALL Q17 are Super LTDs During Rush Hours

The Q34 would still be the all local and the Q25 could be the regular Limited both would still be assisted by the Q27 from Holly....Alot of times Q17/25/34 bunches so much that LTD is really NOT a time saver at all, and whatever is the 3/4/5 bus in the bunch usually runs with less that 15 people down to main street.

This way all three routes serve a purpose on Kissena (if you ask me Kissena almost has too much competing service).

I think that's what the MTA needs to look at for speeding up service....Super LTDs long non-stop streches to really make the service a time saver....

Example:

In manhattan the M101 should make all its regular limited stops until 57th street and then run non-stop to 96th and then non-stop to 125th...This would really compete with time savings of the subway.

Totally agreed. The 3 lines are now part of the same family now and there's no need to worry about competition and duplication of service. Like for the Q35, they turned it into a limited only in Brooklyn and now run times are more consistant. I dunno how the Q17/25/34 are, but your idea sounds good.

Q-66 flushing bound stops on 82 & 83rd and Northern Blvd.

Yes this is over kill.....the whole line needs to be revamped....I think they should take the last stop off of main street....and make the last stop Northern blvd and Main St. It will take some of the traffic off of Main St. It is only a couple of blocks walk to the number 7 train at that point, and if you are that lazy you can catch a Q25/65 to the 7. Also they should put limited buses at peak travel times....(rush hour) and maybe with them making the last stop at Northern and Main....they could use artics...make the left turn at the Intersection of Northern and Main heading back to Queens Plaza....that will be the Last/first stop.

Now no more turning at 35 ave to go to 21st straight down Northern Blvd to Queens Plaza.....turning at 35 ave is redundant....the q100 runs every 10 min during peak travel time and then you have the Q69 that runs along 21st as well.....if anything add a another stop to the Q100 and make it stop at 35ave along 21st.

OOo and the stop at 82st and 83st do away with the 82st stop.....also have the bus stops moved to every 3-4 blocks.....the blocks are not long so that should be fine....

Archived