How to save money on a railroad trip

TheKorean

Ok, so I am going to Boston on May 1st, and I clearly I have to take Amtrak if I want to take train to Boston. Now heres a thing. I was thinking. Perhaps if I go up to New Haven on Metro North and then take Amtrak from there and get off at Providence and take MBTA to Boston, that would lessen the cost of the entire trip. Of course I would have to figure in the costs of the commuter trains too.

Heres another secnario. I want to go to DC. Should I take SEPTA to Wilmington and then take Amtrak there to Baltimore and transfer to MARC?

As much as I dislike intercity buses, I have to agree with Forest Glen on this one. I used to do this from Wilmington (where I live) to New York all with commuter rail, and let me tell you it is a long ass trip!

If you're trying to save money and time, might as well take the bus rather than spending time on the road with transfers and unnecessary headaches.

If not, you can always save up some more and take advantage of the promotion for the Regional with a two week advance booking, but if it's strictly May 1st, you're out of luck. Plan your trip in advance!

Thats the thing. I enjoy long train ride. I want to take the train. Long distanced bus ride makes me feel so uncomfortable.

I hear ya on that! If you can by any means push the date of the trip by a few days, you would save money and could take Amtrak all the way there or not, but keep in mind that Metro North to New Haven is right around a 2 hour trip, plus the time for a connection in New Haven and Providence.

MegaBus will definitely not be on time (4 hours 15 minutes) on a sunny Saturday traveling on I-95.

Yeah I would have to agree with Leonard with this one. Taking Megabus to Philly is way better and less expensive than taking the NJ Transit to SEPTA R7 and dealing with the "Trenton shuffle". Megabus should be less expensive than doing the Metro North/Amtrak/MBTA shuffle. If you are bored you can always watch a movie or take a nap. Plus if you take Megabus to Boston, I don't think it uses I 95 all the way up there. Sometimes it finds a way to I 684 to I84 to the Mass Pike.

Like I said before, the purpose of this trip is to rainfan as well as just heading off to Boston. Or DC.

I am just considering a cheaper train route, but thats it. Just trains.

So are you going to Boston or Washington?

^Leave my house at around 7, get to Grand Central around 8 take MN that leaves around 8, get to New Haven by 10ish, and then take Amtrak that leaves at 10:45 I think. I know this is gonna take a lot of time, but I should be in Boston Back Bay by 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived