Man what are the D4500's governed at?

Lennyj17

I was coming home this morning from Philly using megabus and it was rushhour when we got up around the Goethels exit 13.....

We got behind a X17j and man that thing slowed us down, couldn't have been going more than 40mph....everything was passing that D4500 up on the NJT..

What does the MTA govern the express buses at....if 40 was the top speed good lord that's dangerously low for coaches that use highways such as the NJT....it maybe ok for NYC parkways and such but not in Jersey come on...they could atleast set SI's D4500's at 65mph top speed since they use Highways.

As far as I know they are goverened to 60 mph.

I would think between 50 & 60mph, but some arent capped at all like some of the 4300s and some of the 221x-222x

It usually depends on the bus, sometimes there are certain MCIs that can't run as hard as other MCIs can.

I would think between 50 & 60mph, but some arent capped at all like some of the 4300s and some of the 221x-222x

It usually depends on the bus, sometimes there are certain MCIs that can't run as hard as other MCIs can.

The MCIs at Yonkers used for Metro-North service are wide-open.

Some suburban CNG's go 70plus but MCI's are Gov'r at 60-65 but I think 3193 I hit something mo' so I'm not gonna say or pm me and I'll answer but 60-65 for MCI's and 70 for Suburban CNG's which is why I miss those Classics man O man I can't tell :tup:

By the way the Bus Op might of been new or maybe A certain customer was on board .

I can tell you not to get on those cuz all your gonna do is complain about why were we going so fast .

I dont know any New Yorker that complains about going too fast....if its one thing that New Yorkers all have in common....

WE LIKE TO GET WHERE THE F WE GOT TO GO!

BTW it was a 1900 series MCI on the Turnpike that was slow as all hell..If that has anything to do with it....

At actually depends on the mode its in. If you take a look at the shift pad (if you're able to get a look, if you sit in the front, you'll see it), take a look at the number on it. That number shows what its top speed will be. I actually noticed this on the B43 when it used to be out of JG.

If the number is a...

6: 60 mph

5: 50 mph

4: 40 mph

3: 30 mph

2: 20mph

All MCI's, New Flyers, And Orion V's show that number on the shift pad. Orion VII's (OG & NG) are automatically governed at 40 (so they say :)) and they only show R-N-D and RTS show R-N-D-2-1 and are also governed at 40 (again so they say lol)

All the MCIs are governed. I drove an ungoverned MCI when we went to Katrina in 05 and we did 80mph through Alabama so I doubt they would leave buses that go through city streets ungoverned.

Its quite possible. Some garages may not want to follow protocol (Yonkers), and some buses may simply fall through the cracks. I've been on MCIs that have slowed down traffic, and MCIs that left (NJT) in the dust.

At actually depends on the mode its in. If you take a look at the shift pad (if you're able to get a look, if you sit in the front, you'll see it), take a look at the number on it. That number shows what its top speed will be. I actually noticed this on the B43 when it used to be out of JG.

If the number is a...

All MCI's, New Flyers, And Orion V's show that number on the shift pad. Orion VII's (OG & NG) are automatically governed at 40 (so they say B)) and they only show R-N-D and RTS show R-N-D-2-1 and are also governed at 40 (again so they say lol)

Actually, they governed at 45mph for locals which is dangerous for bus to drive in a highway.

MCI is governed at above highway speeds... dont think 58 mph is correct. More like 60 to 65-ish...

I never heard of an MCI governed at only 40mph....most likely that particular bus had a maintenance issue. Did you see a lot of smoke? It could have been a blown turbo or a turbo pipe that came loose. There is also a built-in engine protection sytem that if there is trouble, puts bus in 'safe-mode' which severly limits speed, usually down to less than 40, perhaps only 20 mph to enable bus to 'limp-home' to garage, etc.

I never heard of an MCI governed at only 40mph....most likely that particular bus had a maintenance issue. Did you see a lot of smoke? It could have been a blown turbo or a turbo pipe that came loose. There is also a built-in engine protection sytem that if there is trouble, puts bus in 'safe-mode' which severly limits speed, usually down to less than 40, perhaps only 20 mph to enable bus to 'limp-home' to garage, etc.
It could've simply been a slow driver...

If the number is a...

All MCI's, New Flyers, And Orion V's show that number on the shift pad. Orion VII's (OG & NG) are automatically governed at 40 (so they say B)) and they only show R-N-D and RTS show R-N-D-2-1 and are also governed at 40 (again so they say lol)

Those numbers are gear shifters and don't determine speed. RTS have 3, Orion V 600's have 4, every other bus have 5, MCI have 6. Driver chooses how many gears he wants to use on the transmission with that number. Also buses are not automatically governed at 40, (MTA) governs them and a bunch of them slip through the cracks.

I'm not really a fan of caps on buses...it's like another form of restriction plate NASCAR use on certain tracks....I've been on Orion V that go over the bridge from SI,the ride is very slow.Most time bus can't even get of their own way.there's some Orion V cng aren't governed...I was on one that was passing cars.

Its quite possible. Some garages may not want to follow protocol (Yonkers), and some buses may simply fall through the cracks. I've been on MCIs that have slowed down traffic, and MCIs that left (NJT) in the dust.

(T)rust me on this ,(W)hen we first got taken over I remember doing bus swaps to different garages and /i recall this (M2)CI Classic from New York Bus was doinghgggg well let's just say if it was A Delorian then you guess right and one mo' thing New York Bus Service (EastChester) Maintains Buses that Run :tup:Real good

I've never really seen the guys in the 4500s struggling to keep up with traffic, but I always feel sorry for the guys on the Bx12 that get on I-95 for that little strech between Co-Op City and Bruckner Blvd. They have NO power and I always see near accidents when the enter the highway beacuse people in cars don't know that the bus cannot do highway speeds. The smart guys put on their 4-ways but its still dicey.

Archived