Man what are the D4500's governed at?

Lennyj17

I've never really seen the guys in the 4500s struggling to keep up with traffic, but I always feel sorry for the guys on the Bx12 that get on I-95 for that little strech between Co-Op City and Bruckner Blvd. They have NO power and I always see near accidents when the enter the highway beacuse people in cars don't know that the bus cannot do highway speeds. The smart guys put on their 4-ways but its still dicey.
It's not lack of power, but GH generally don't have too many fast drivers, and a bunch of the Artics are governed. Ungovern them and they can go as fast as an ungoverned V CNG.

So the rumor is true that they are governed only to 40mph. That's a little dangerous even for the short time they are on the highway....I mean folks (myself included) come though that area at 55 minimum, but I KNOW they can't boogie and slow down when I see tham entering, but the typical car driver doesn't

Ugh, 40mph...I thought that the 65mph deal Peter Pan was trying to stuff down our throats was bad!

I usually see the (MTA) 4500's keeping pace with the rightmost (slowest) lane on the LIE, regardless of the driver. Especially in the HOV lane, which is next to the left-most lane, you can see a difference between the cars/vans and the buses, but its not that great of a difference.

Your not lying!!! I've dusted MTA MCIs countless times. MTAs D4500s suck.

NJ Transit guys and girls tend to run a bit harder thru the tunnel and thru the helix on 495 out to the NJTP. The MTA guys do like I do....back off and let them go, its not worth the paperwork to fight with them.

So the rumor is true that they are governed only to 40mph. That's a little dangerous even for the short time they are on the highway....I mean folks (myself included) come though that area at 55 minimum, but I KNOW they can't boogie and slow down when I see tham entering, but the typical car driver doesn't

Ugh, 40mph...I thought that the 65mph deal Peter Pan was trying to stuff down our throats was bad!

Not the MCIs. MCI is governed above the highway speed limit (58 to 65 range). Yes it is dangerous to put all slow poke MTA buses on I-95, especially the POS artics.

I also do not believe in governing buses lower than 65 if they go on the highway for any period of their route, including deadheading. I will admit that would mean governing everything at 65, but think about it: which is better, a bus that never speeds on city streets even if the driver has a lead foot but is a real pain in the ass on the highway or a bus that requires a bit gentler hand on city streets but can match or pass cars on the highway? I know that it is safe to have ungoverned buses on the street because a year ago, before the retirement of the 1993 Orion Vs began, I rode an ungoverned former NYCT bus that had been transferred to College Pt (#304) on the Q66 from 78 St to Flushing. The driver easily did 20-30 mph on Northern Blvd up until the highway portion (no trouble stopping or slowing down, usually didn't overshoot the stop). However, upon hitting the highway portion of the route, from a little past Junction Blvd to Flushing, we did 55-65 mph the entire way, even passing cars, and yet we never were in any danger of an accident. At the same time, having SBS New Flyers that are governed at 40 mph is a danger on the highway because most drivers are not busfans and will not understand that these buses cannot match their speed

Not the MCIs. MCI is governed above the highway speed limit (58 to 65 range). Yes it is dangerous to put all slow poke MTA buses on I-95, especially the POS artics.

I agree, I think state law should require any vehicle (including a bus) to be governed no lower than 65mph.

The MTA is bad with this, they are obsessed with the illusion that slow speeds means safety. Having any bus governed at 40mph is insane, and unsafe on any highway. Fortunately at LI Bus the buses are usually governered at 60mph. Bee-Line has them at 55mph, which is kinda slow, esp with the rural nature of the county. Suffolk Transit seems to have most of their buses wide open, same goes for NJT.

The MTA is probably the slowest of all fleets.

Its funny now that city buses are often doing LIRR service, I wonder if they put any of those 40mph buses out there. I can imagine the chaos it'd produce on the LIE or Route 27!

If I recall, some expressways have maximum and minimum speed limits...like 55 and 40 mph. A slow moving vehicle is very hazardous in a stream of fast moving vehicles, and the operator of such is subject to receiving a summons for impeding traffic. If you are going so slow that you require a 'triangle', then you should be on a local road and not an expressway.

Archived