Cheeky conductors increasingly becoming a thing of the past with digital trains

MTR Admiralty

One conductor yelled over the loudspeaker a few years back "Get the hell off the doors" LOL.I remember when Conductors would announce "top of the rock" Now why did they protest that?
Why did they protest that Top of the Rock thing? (even though I wouldnt want to say that myself)

They protested because it's just as dumb as coming to 86 St (4)(5)(6) and saying:

This is 86 St. Transfer for the 4 and 6 trains. Dunkin Donuts is upstairs, outside the station.

They protested because it's just as dumb as coming to 86 St (4)(5)(6) and saying:

This is 86 St. Transfer for the 4 and 6 trains. Dunkin Donuts is upstairs, outside the station.

true, true :)

There was a conductor on the (:) back in 2004 that until about Prospect Park added some flair to the announcements.

This is Broadway- Lafayeeeeeete (with the e stressed)

Yeeeees this is Grand Street.

And the one I sign my posts with on Straphangers: Bingo. DeKalb Avenue (How do you add those signatures to the bottom of the post?)

There was a conductor on the (:) back in 2004 that until about Prospect Park added some flair to the announcements.

And the one I sign my posts with on Straphangers: Bingo. DeKalb Avenue (How do you add those signatures to the bottom of the post?)

On this forum?

Click on Quick Links (on the blue bar on the top) and click on Edit Signature.

I wish they stopped playing all of these incessant security announcements (especially when I'm trying to sleep).

Those announcements really get annoying. I mean once, fine, its informative. Twice, fine, a little repetition to get in the head. But after three or more times, you just want to go: "OMG stop now, please". Maybe some more tips on upcoming GOs and such would be more useful.

There was a conductor on the (B) back in 2004 that until about Prospect Park added some flair to the announcements.

I think know that guy you're talking about. He's on the (Q) train now on the weekends. You can catch him between 9:00-10:00 at Time Square heading to Coney Island. It's weird because he says it like this.

This is 34th STREEEEEEEEET. Transfer is available to the B, D, F, Veeeeeeeee trains.

I remember back in 04 or 05 or something, there used to be this guy on the (D) who would say complementary things like this is 34th street transfer is available to the N, Q, R, W, B, F, V. Macy's and Madison Square Garden. And when he hit Grand street he said gong hay fat choy. He's always adding spice to his announcements. I don't know where he went though, but he seems like somebody who likes his job.

That was the day they sent that (R) via the (F) line between 36th-Queens and 57/7, right? If I remember right, the car was a 40/42 mishmash.

I don't remember him saying that...

I would like to be a conductor (on an old train...I would like to work for the MTA but have no idea how people get in).

It would be sad if the whole system become NTT/all the same train style... My head would hurt seeing the same train everywhere.

What do they mean by "no railroad" talk??"

By no "railroad talk" they mean no insider terms that the general riding public wouldn't understand. As in "This is Times Sq., connection is available to the IND 8th Ave. line, the BMT Broadway line, and the IRT Flushing Line."

By no "railroad talk" they mean no insider terms that the general riding public wouldn't understand. As in "This is Times Sq., connection is available to the IND 8th Ave. line, the BMT Broadway line, and the IRT Flushing Line."

There was a C/R on the (E) a few months back who would announce a transfer to the "IRT #7 line upstairs" at Roosevelt. I also remember being on the IRT at Union Square and hearing the C/R announce a transfer to the "BMT Canarsie Line".

I don't remember him saying that...

On the 6th Ave Lines, they used to say "transfer to the IRT upstairs" at Broadway Lafayette.

one conductor who sticks out to me(i think he works the v line on the am tour).....he would go for example: this is 47/50 rock center.....transfers is availible for YOUR b,d,f trains, as opposed to saying transfer is availibe for the b,d,f......just gives me a chuckle when i hear him say that....lol

I kinda miss the manual announcements, but the good thing about NTT's are when the C/R needs to make a delay/detour announcement, there's a "ding" sound before, so I'd know to take off my headphones and not miss what he said.

There was this really cheerful C/R on the (N) that went like:

"This a N train toooo Manhattannn, step in, stand cleeear of the closingggggg doooooooors." Loved that guy.

And another C/R's announcement at 8th Ave was: "8th Ave, Brooklyn Chinatown." I was like wow, and I smiled at the acknowledgement.

Those announcements really get annoying. I mean once, fine, its informative. Twice, fine, a little repetition to get in the head. But after three or more times, you just want to go: "OMG stop now, please". Maybe some more tips on upcoming GOs and such would be more useful.

The security announcements MUST be made every 15 minutes or so. Don't make them and watch how fast you get writtten up and/or taken out of service.

Paranoia from the MTA for ya...

As for the announcements - if I need a nap, I can nap soundly despite the loud volume. I think I've just gotten acustomed to waking up when I'm getting near my stop. I only overslept once on the (6) going downtown, but I got off the train just in time at Bleecker to take the (F) back north.

I know of a C/O that makes too many announcements on the (E) line. It gets to be really annoying.

I think I know which one you mean. I board the sb 'E' at 71 Ave at around 4:23 AM. When ever the 'E' is rerouted (happens all too often at that hour), over the 'F' line, he tells twice at every local stop about it, how to get around it, etc. Should only have to tell it at perhaps Roosevelt, 36 street, etc. where it's pertinent. Other times he tells every local bus connection at every stop....and he speaks fairly loudly. Seems either he's bored, or maybe likes to hear his voice. Either way its annoying to the riders trying to doze at that early hour, probably 98% of who are regular riders, and not tourists.

Yesterday, while I was one the R46 (A) train, the conductor said:

Ladies and gentlemen, please be advised that this (A) train and all (A) trains will be rerouted down the 6 av line. I repeat this (A) train and all (A) trains will be reroute down the 6 Av line. (Wacky Voice) Well, what does that mean conductor? It means that this train will be making all (F) stops after West 4 Street. So ladies and gentlemen, please tell this to your friends and have them tell your friends. Have a nice day!

Meanwhile, he was trying to change the LCD to say

(A) 8 Av/Fulton Lcl

(A) via Delancey St

(A) To Far Rockway

but every time he tried to change, it would just hang as 8 Av Express. It was a R46, around 3:50 PM. I wont give the car number because that conductor was nice and i dont want him to get in troube.

BTW at east broadway some ppl didnt know there werent uptown (F) so he had em ride his (A) and helped them get uptown at Jay Street. Nice man:tup:

I've never heard a conductor make a "cheeky" announcement before. I remember when my father was a conductor. His announcements were the best since they were practically non existent. He spoke at 50 miles a second and at the station, he would just say "stand clear" and that was it. So because they would fly through stations, he usually got to the terminal ahead of schedule. One time I got on his train and knew he was the conductor after I recognized the announcements.

Archived