Cheeky conductors increasingly becoming a thing of the past with digital trains

MTR Admiralty

The security announcements MUST be made every 15 minutes or so. Don't make them and watch how fast you get writtten up and/or taken out of service.

Does that mean that they need to play them all at once, every fifteen minutes? I'm fine hearing one, or even two, every 10 to 15 minutes, but to hear "Ladies and gentlemen" from Charlie four times in a minute does test my patience...

There was a C/R on the (E) a few months back who would announce a transfer to the "IRT #7 line upstairs" at Roosevelt. I also remember being on the IRT at Union Square and hearing the C/R announce a transfer to the "BMT Canarsie Line".

Apparently "layup" and "put in" are also no-no's for the public. There is an older C/R on the R who says "We're waiting for a line-up". You still hear some announce a "transfer to the IRT" sometimes followed by the numbers, but it's usually an older guy. BMT and especially IND are rare to hear in an announcement. I was once on a train when a stop-arm wasn't going down and the C/R announced that there was a signal problem ahead and the motorman was going down the roadbed to hook a stop arm down. Don't know if that counts as RR-talk, but it was more informative then what you usually hear for a delay.

I've never heard a conductor make a "cheeky" announcement before. I remember when my father was a conductor. His announcements were the best since they were practically non existent. He spoke at 50 miles a second and at the station, he would just say "stand clear" and that was it. So because they would fly through stations, he usually got to the terminal ahead of schedule. One time I got on his train and knew he was the conductor after I recognized the announcements.

:tup:: That was when we still had RAPID transit in NY.

Does that mean that they need to play them all at once, every fifteen minutes? I'm fine hearing one, or even two, every 10 to 15 minutes, but to hear "Ladies and gentlemen" from Charlie four times in a minute does test my patience...

I think they're supposed to play ones at random. Not all. It's a volley of various ones grouped together. The groping one and the one about the suspicious package are the ones that are often played a lot recently (from my record). The trash receptacle one was played a lot a while ago.

Then there was that conductor who would close the doors at a busy station, then begin his announcement with: "Now that we're alone,......":)

I use that line often, especially when I lock the door before she tries to leave.

I remember one July 4th after the fireworks I ended up on an (S) out of GCT to transfer to the BMT Broadway, and the conductor out of GCT decided he was going to have fun with his job - the moment the doors closed at GCT, he began slowly, clearly and deliberately going through every train available at Times Square. "This is the 42nd Street (S), , next last final and ONLY station is 42nd Street-Times Square with passage to 42nd Street-Port Authority, transfer to the (N) to Astoria or Coney Island, (Q) to 57th Street or Coney Island, (R) to Forest Hills or Bay Ridge..." etc. all the way through to the IND 8th Ave. He took the entire (short) trip to make the whole thing, only to start again once he got to Times Square and opened the doors. "Last stop on the 42nd Street (S), this is Times Square, transfer to the (N) to Astoria or Coney Island..."

It was probably against the rules, but considering the fact that we were all shoehorned in there at midnight and anxious to get home, I have to give the guy credit for making what could have been a truly miserable (brief) trip into something that was amusing.

I remember one July 4th after the fireworks I ended up on an (S) out of GCT to transfer to the BMT Broadway, and the conductor out of GCT decided he was going to have fun with his job - the moment the doors closed at GCT, he began slowly, clearly and deliberately going through every train available at Times Square. "This is the 42nd Street (S), , next last final and ONLY station is 42nd Street-Times Square with passage to 42nd Street-Port Authority, transfer to the (N) to Astoria or Coney Island, (Q) to 57th Street or Coney Island, (R) to Forest Hills or Bay Ridge..." etc. all the way through to the IND 8th Ave. He took the entire (short) trip to make the whole thing, only to start again once he got to Times Square and opened the doors. "Last stop on the 42nd Street (S), this is Times Square, transfer to the (N) to Astoria or Coney Island..."

It was probably against the rules, but considering the fact that we were all shoehorned in there at midnight and anxious to get home, I have to give the guy credit for making what could have been a truly miserable (brief) trip into something that was amusing.

LOL! I wonder if he actually got all the way thru the second time?

LOL that's AMAZING

I remember one cheeky announcement while on the (4) a couple of years back.

Mom and I were on the R142 heading to Yankee Stadium to see our Red Sox battle the Yankees. Before the train left the tunnel, the conductor mentioned the transfers to both the trains and buses and wished everyone well.

Then, at the end, he said, "Oh, by the way, let's go Yankees," causing a HUGE roar of "Let's Go Yankees!" in the entire train and left me and Mom laughing. XD

Archived