Does the railfan community attract certain kinds of people?

Paul P

The reason I'm asking is because lately I've been noticing a lot of the same kind of people on the forums and elsewhere... not judging or anything since most of them I don't personally know , but a question comes to mind:

What kind of people enjoy this hobby?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be kind, theres a whole mix of people because I've come across many in this hobby and some people are just interesting characters.

Then to be honest (brutally at that), there are nutjobs in this hobby. But who am I to judge? I know I'm crazy.

To be kind, theres a whole mix of people because I've come across many in this hobby and some people are just interesting characters.

Then to be honest (brutally at that), there are nutjobs in this hobby. But who am I to judge? I know I'm crazy.

I'm the biggest whacko/nutjob/weirdo/freak/loser/moron/fatty/geezer/baby/sissy/cow/potato you can find in this hobby, but I'm also very educated as well... To a geeky extent :P

I'm the biggest whacko/nutjob/weirdo/freak/loser/moron/fatty/geezer/baby/sissy/cow/potato you can find in this hobby, but I'm also very educated as well... To a geeky extent :P

Exactly.

With me, I know when theres time for fun, and when it is time to be serious, and when I have fun, especially when hanging around good company, we wild out! Whats good!

The reason I'm asking is because lately I've been noticing a lot of the same kind of people on the forums and elsewhere... not judging or anything since most of them I don't personally know , but a question comes to mind:

What kind of people enjoy this hobby?

While I'm out with my batch of people, I know how to have a good time, yet not get out of hand. I admit, we all joke around, talk loud and laugh at everything in sight. It just adds more pizazz to the hobby. We want to have fun no problem, yet you have to know how to.

Exactly.

With me, I know when theres time for fun, and when it is time to be serious, and when I have fun, especially when hanging around good company, we wild out! Whats good!

Yeah, very true. Well for me I'm just a casual fan. I know just enough to be above average in transit knowledge. But my real passion is roller coasters, which in a way is transit :P

Yeah, very true. Well for me I'm just a casual fan. I know just enough to be above average in transit knowledge. But my real passion is roller coasters, which in a way is transit :P

Good luck getting a front seat rather than a railfan window! B)

:confused: Are you mentioning about seeing the same posters on NYC Transit Forums and that they post nearly every day?

I think NYC Transit Forums and Subchat are the two most active transit forums at present. Rider Diaries has their spurts.

Sometimes you try, but it can be hard to be fair each day when you are registered at three or more transit forums.

Exactly.Im married at 25,Addicted to video games,practice martial arts etc.Im very intellegent and im a big transit fan.You be surprised to find how many thugs,bloods and crips who rep their favorite subway line LOL:p For example.

Blood member: Yo im down with the two duces out of 1-8-0 bangin on 1-4-2s

Translation: I love R142s on the (2) line based out of E 180 street yard:p

Crip member:Nah son Im reppin the ACE.west side!!!!

Translation:I love the 8th avenue line.:):P

Exactly.Im married at 25,Addicted to video games,practice martial arts etc.Im very intellegent and im a big transit fan.You be surprised to find how many thugs,bloods and crips who rep their favorite subway line LOL:p For example.

What would happen if they ran into each other? :eek:

A nice battle: The (A) versus the (2):P

While I'm out with my batch of people, I know how to have a good time, yet not get out of hand. I admit, we all joke around, talk loud and laugh at everything in sight. It just adds more pizazz to the hobby. We want to have fun no problem, yet you have to know how to.

Well yes, everybody does that stuff when not by themselves, but if you do that by yourself....YOU GOT SOME PROBLEMS :)

Just don't think you're Hancock, jump down on the tracks and try to stop a train :P

Just like in any other hobby, railfanning features both normal people and loonie toons like at Subchat. Some people simply enjoy railfanning. Others are ready to fight or insult other people who disagree with their opinions. It's the same at this Yankees message board I post on. There's a jack@ss named htman 213. He calls anyone who criticizes Derek Jeter a Red Sox fan.

Just like in any other hobby, railfanning features both normal people and loonie toons like at Subchat. Some people simply enjoy railfanning. Others are ready to fight or insult other people who disagree with their opinions.

I agree with this post. I enjoy railfanning for myself...not insulting others and making a crazy deal out of it.

Just like in any other hobby, railfanning features both normal people and loonie toons like at Subchat. Some people simply enjoy railfanning. Others are ready to fight or insult other people who disagree with their opinions.

With time, I'm becoming more neutral. We may not have to agree with everyone but that's what makes us unique in our own way, because we all have different viewpoints and opinions.

Archived