Does the railfan community attract certain kinds of people?

Paul P

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The reason I'm asking is because lately I've been noticing a lot of the same kind of people on the forums and elsewhere... not judging or anything since most of them I don't personally know , but a question comes to mind:

What kind of people enjoy this hobby?

Yes, there is a certain "Type" that this hobby in particular attracts, you all know the stereotype...those that do not shower, scream and yell about trains, have no people skills, last saw a vagina on the day they were born, and do nothing in their spare time except draw trains and fantasy maps...however every hobby has their "extremists" you can think of the normal ones as regular muslims and the railiens as the Taliban.

The bad ones just seem to be more "concentrated" when it comes to trains...why, I have no idea.

However, that said, there are many great people in this hobby and I'm fortunate to know many of them.

With time, I'm becoming more neutral. We may not have to agree with everyone but that's what makes us unique in our own way, because we all have different viewpoints and opinions.

That's just called growing up. Opinions are fine and everyone's got a different one. I could care less what other people think because most of them could care less what I think. That's just the way the world works.

The only time you'll catch me grilling someone on here is if they start posting wrong information or their own opinions and claiming it is fact, which is very different from those who just state their opinions and walk away.

With time, I'm becoming more neutral. We may not have to agree with everyone but that's what makes us unique in our own way, because we all have different viewpoints and opinions.

Thank you. This is the best thing you ever said. At Subchat it's, "Anyone who likes the PA-5 is a moron" or "Anyone who likes express buses is an idiot". Subchat is full of self-righteous @ssholes. I've had bad days at NYCTF but it's nothing like Subchat.

Thank you. This is the best thing you ever said. At Subchat it's, "Anyone who likes the PA-5 is a moron" or "Anyone who likes express buses is an idiot". Subchat is full of self-righteous @ssholes. I've had bad days at NYCTF but it's nothing like Subchat.

Funny thing is.. there is one person who shall remain nameless that thinks that subchat is the only good forum site out there... I've seen waay better forums out there! On subchat, it seems that if you post your own opinion, you're just rolling out the welcome mat for trolls and people to flame you. Kinda glad I don't post there!

Don't mention. Everytime I read Subchat, good threads get trolled. Like after reading something, all I get next is some inane comment. There's none of that here, thankfully.

But on the same coin you've said "DC Metro and such are world class systems" "MTA sucks" and "R32s suck". So SOME people disagree with you. Big deal... The point is it is an absolute with you, if you kept those comments to a minimum, then maybe they wouldn't jump on you all the time.

Funny thing is.. there is one person who shall remain nameless that thinks that subchat is the only good forum site out there... I've seen waay better forums out there! On subchat, it seems that if you post your own opinion, you're just rolling out the welcome mat for trolls and people to flame you. Kinda glad I don't post there!

If you make a comment there you should be willing to put up more facts than just baseless claims. The really dicey area there is the o/t section - stay away from anything political. Otherwise the bus and subway sections are ok.

But on the same coin you've said "DC Metro and such are world class systems" "MTA sucks" and "R32s suck". So SOME people disagree with you. Big deal... The point is it is an absolute with you, if you kept those comments to a minimum, then maybe they wouldn't jump on you all the time.

Or learn to voice his opinion better...just saying R32s suck proves nothing as to why he doesn't like them...he could be lying for all it matters. My friends are fans of 32s and so am I yet it's their top favorite, so when I tell em 32s suck they know it's a joke although they get riled up out of fun...same goes for me and the Slants.

If you have a like or dislike for something, saying that "they're the greatest" or saying "they suck" will do nothing to prove your point.

If you make a comment there you should be willing to put up more facts than just baseless claims. The really dicey area there is the o/t section - stay away from anything political. Otherwise the bus and subway sections are ok

Oh boy...love/sex/religion/politics...the whole enchilada goes on in the OT index on the other board. Makes me more than glad that I'm no longer a part of that place.

Truth be told, I want to come back but Tony Clifton is Terrapin Station. I've been doing so well in regards to my mental health. The last thing I need is another meltdown. I'll put my pride aside and stay away from Subchat.

You ain't kidding

Every Group has its weirdos. With railfanners there are People who overly foam over trains, people who make snide comments and start flame wars, people who cant stop bitchin, people who posts threads about topics that have been discussed a million times. Then there are people like me that have a normal casual railfanning hobby along with many others.

You can express your opinion but don't go around saying that r32s are gay orthat so and so is an ******* with out providing reason because that will only start a flame war and lock threads.

There are the following kinds of railfans:

1. Ones who fan for the fun of it, while doing so peacefully.

2. Those who do so for the fun of it, but yell and go crazy.

3. Those who peacefully foam.

4. Those who flame others if there is a disagreement.

5. Any combination of the above.

Archived