Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robert Bosco

Why No Express Service?

Why isn' there an express (F), (N) or (D) in Brooklyn. Both the (F) and (D) have a 3rd track that isn't used, and the (N) has two unused tracks. I know that the Sea Beach line is used for testing, but how often does the MTA purchase new cars.

There isnt enough demand for express service on culver/sea beach/west end.The MTA buys new cars whenever an old car needs to be retired.For exmaple the R40 are beat up and worn out.And the MTA bought shiny new R160s to replace them.

The MTA buys new cars whenever an old car needs to be retired.For exmaple the R40 are beat up and worn out.And the MTA bought shiny new R160s to replace them.
But, how is that an example of why there is no Express (D)(F)(N) Service on their respected routes?

Also, demand is ging to cause the MTA to start a culver express service in the future.

This, we should and hopefully see after or by the time 2012 comes around.

One thing to keep in mind, their southern terminus is Coney Island. Now, lets look at the Sea Beach, the next stop after CI if there was express service on the Sea Beach is 59th Street. Wouldn't have too many people on the train now would you. And on top of that, the (N) is a 4th Avenue Express!

Point is, you have many people during the peak heading to or coming from the CI area. The stops that pick up are the ones that are along the line. Thats goes for the three lines you want to start an express service for.

On the Culver, it would lets say the elevated part, from Ditmas Ave to about Avenue X.

On the West End, 36th Street to Bay 50th.

On the Sea Beach, 8th Ave to 86th Street.

Also, demand is ging to cause the MTA to start a culver express service in the future.

One thing to keep in mind, their southern terminus is Coney Island. Now, lets look at the Sea Beach, the next stop after CI if there was express service on the Sea Beach is 59th Street. Wouldn't have too many people on the train now would you. And on top of that, the (N) is a 4th Avenue Express!

Point is, you have many people during the peak heading to or coming from the CI area. The stops that pick up are the ones that are along the line. Thats goes for the three lines you want to start an express service for.

On the Culver, it would lets say the elevated part, from Ditmas Ave to about Avenue X.

On the West End, 36th Street to Bay 50th.

On the Sea Beach, 8th Ave to 86th Street.

Absolutely right about the (N) Train man. A Sea Beach Express wouldn't be feasible; 59 St / 4 Av to Coney Island, nonstop; the (MTA) Will get non-stop complaints about that:eek:. However, if the Coney Island Bound Express Track will never get rebuilt from 8 Avenue to, North of Kings Highway, then I would definitely say that the New Utrecht Av-62 St Sea Beach Station should be made an Express Stop.

But, how is that an example of why there is no Express (D)(F)(N) Service on their respected routes?
He asked how often do the MTA buy new subway cars.That what i was referring to.

There isnt enough demand for express service on culver/sea beach/west end.The MTA buys new cars whenever an old car needs to be retired.For exmaple the R40 are beat up and worn out.And the MTA bought shiny new R160s to replace them.
Shiny new R160s? Foam, Just foam. What the MTA did buy was Piece of junk trains that train operators hate. The 40s are not in bad shape. The MTA just wanted to throw out money and buy japanese crap that they claim are the best trains. Give them a few years once they are out and watch all of those "New Tech Trains" fall apart. No way in hell those 160s will last as long as the 40s. MTA = Money Thrown Away.

Shiny new R160s? Foam, Just foam. What the MTA did buy was Piece of junk trains that train operators hate. The 40s are not in bad shape. The MTA just wanted to throw out money and buy japanese crap that they claim are the best trains. Give them a few years once they are out and watch all of those "New Tech Trains" fall apart. No way in hell those 160s will last as long as the 40s. MTA = Money Thrown Away.

*sigh

here we go again.......

aren't the sea beach express tracks unusable?

The Coney Island Bound Express Track is DISCONNECTED from the Line, meaning, there are no switches hooked up to the Main Line. The "abandoned" Coney Island Bound Express Track starts out, north of the 8 Avenue Station and reaches as far down as 300 feet north of the Kings Highway Station. The Manhattan Bound Express Track is definitely usable. Even though its not welded, its fishplated from Gravesend - 86 St to 8 Avenue, its usable and utulized.

Same can be said about you and the R40s.Your an A+ R40 foamer plain and simple.Again you make statements that you cant back up.Do you have any proof that T/Os hate the R160s?The R40s are being held togther with ductape for crying out loud.If thats not bad shape then i dont know what is.For the last time kawasaki is a damn good car builder.Every time an american transit system needs new cars who do they turn to?kawaski!!They make great cars like R62,R68A PA4s just to name a few.And the PA5s and the M8s will be good car too when they come into service.Go on youtube and look up japan subway/coummter systems.And their trains are much better than the crap we have over here.And if the NTT do somehow fall apart it will be the MTA fault not kwasaki.The R143s have done well for their first six years.

If the MTA could get 35 years out of the R44s.Then getting 30 years out the 143/160 should be a walk in the park.

Same can be said about you and the R40s.Your an A+ R40 foamer plain and simple.Again you make statements that you cant back up.Do you have any proof that T/Os hate the R160s?The R40s are being held togther with ductape for crying out loud.If thats not bad shape then i dont know what is.For the last time kawasaki is a damn good car builder.Every time an american transit system needs new cars who do they turn to?kawaski!!They make great cars like R62,R68A PA4s just to name a few.And the PA5s and the M8s will be good car too when they come into service.Go on youtube and look up japan subway/coummter systems.And their trains are much better than the crap we have over here.And if the NTT do somehow fall apart it will be the MTA fault not kwasaki.The R143s have done well for their first six years.

If the MTA could get 35 years out of the R44s.Then getting 30 years out the 143/160 should be a walk in the park.

THIS T/O loves the R160's....

He also likes the R68's, R68A's R40's and R40M's...

Actually, a (N) express between 59th Street and Coney Island during the rush hours could get a lot of usage if advertised properly (i.e. posters put on on (N) and (Q) trains, along with posters put on the B36, B64, B68, B74, and B82 bus routes). The (N)'s connections along it's route and how it serves a large amount of offices in Midtown work make me think that.

I'm not familiar with the West End and Culver lines that much to make judgments, although if anything I doubt that a BMT Culver Express is needed after seeing a lot of empty trains out there during the rush hour.

what about the R32?

I havent worked on those trains long enough to like em or leave em...

When i posted on the (A)pple i got only one R32(so to speak) and i was the head out pair, the rest of the unit was 8 cars of R38's.

When i posted on the ©harile all i got was R38's...

When i posted on the (E)cho i got them they all seemed Ok to me but that was just one day..

Now if i worked on the lines that had those cars i would be able to give you a fair point on them.

I havent worked on those trains long enough to like em or leave em...

When i posted on the (A)pple i got only one R32(so to speak) and i was the head out pair, the rest of the unit was 8 cars of R38's.

When i posted on the ©harile all i got was R38's...

When i posted on the (E)cho i got them they all seemed Ok to me but that was just one day..

Now if i worked on the lines that had those cars i would be able to give you a fair point on them.

What about the cars in the A div.Whats it like operating the redbirds, R62/A and the R142/A

THIS T/O loves the R160's....

He also likes the R68's, R68A's R40's and R40M's...

Thank you.

Hell I work the R 143/160 two days a week on the (L) and I love the R 160's they move and brake great but they also under warrenty. However the doors on R 160 close slow compared to the R 143 so C/R don't like them when they have a choice of a R 143 but take them in a second if its a R 42 across the platfrom.

Now for the (A)(C)(E) Equipment I learned to love the R 32/38 but I also can master that R 44. ;)

IAWTP

Same can be said about you and the R40s.Your an A+ R40 foamer plain and simple.Again you make statements that you cant back up.Do you have any proof that T/Os hate the R160s?

The truth and not here he can't.

Well, imagine if the MTA purchased Chinese train cars, instead of the Kawasaki/Alstom R160s. I think Phil will change his mind about this one. In this scenario, you would have a breakdown every day and probably won't last more than two years. The Japanese-German-American manufacturers have adequate K to produce such decent equipment.

Some computer malfunctions might be due to training. I had a conductor today that was "correcting" the FIND system and froze it in the end.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.