MTA Thinking Of Sending ARTICS to Queens

Q85Rosedale

MTA Recenty posted the capital plan for 2010-2014 and on page 62 says :

The MTA Bus Company operates the 10th largest bus fleet in the United States and Canada,

serving nearly 400,000 riders daily. As of February 2010, the fleet consists of 795 standard

buses and 511 high capacity buses for express service for a total of 1,306 buses.

The fleet operates out of eight depots. The City of New York owns three of the depots and

leases the others from private owners. The facilities are needed to collect revenue from buses,

clean and fuel buses in preparation for service, perform routine maintenance and repairs, and

store buses when not in operation. In addition to the maintenance areas, the depots have 13

bus washers and three paint booths.

The Proposed 2010-2014 Capital Program - $325 million

NYC Transit proposes $325 million for investments in the MTA Bus Company, including:

 72 articulated, 181 standard, and 32 high capacity express buses ($212 million)

 Real-time customer information ($8 million)

 Modification of Baisley Park and JFK depots to support articulated buses ($6 million)

 Upgrading bus washers and HVAC systems ($13 million)

 Installing a new elevator at College Point depot ($2 million)

 Construction of a new green roof at Far Rockaway depot ($2 million)

 Upgrading the CNG systems at Spring Creek and College Point depots ($5 million)

Artics a possibility on the 111's ?

http://www.mta.info/news/pdf/cap10/capital_program.pdf

Why would it be dead if they are ordering new CNG buses as well?

It was dead when MTA stops expanding CNG operations to other depots like Manhattanville Depot in Manhattan due to high cost of CNG operations....

They are keeping CNGs because its cheaper fuel and the investment might be payed off with advanced technology right now.

Omg Omg Omg j/k.

Good news, thanks for posting it.

I wonder why does Baisley needs to be modified, they had D60HF's already.

Baisley had a couple of atics. There was room for 2 buses, but there possibly isn't room for 5, 10, 15, or 20 buses. That is why it needs to be upgraded. It will be based on how many they want to get into there. Plus backing those things up ain't fun, for most (it was for me)............

It was dead when MTA stops expanding CNG operations to other depots like Manhattanville Depot in Manhattan due to high cost of CNG operations....

They are keeping CNGs because its cheaper fuel and the investment might be payed off with advanced technology right now.

What he means is the new CNG orders, rather than for say hybrid electrics or diesel only buses, will be replacing the older CNG buses. That is why CNG isn't 'dead'.

It's intersting that they are spending more money on bus washers than real-time customer information technology (I assume those are the screens saying how long until the bus arrives)-I'd rather have a dirty bus and know when it is actually coming. I could not care less if the bus exterior is dirty.

It also includes "HVAC" in this catagory-is this for the buses or the depots?

It's intersting that they are spending more money on bus washers than real-time customer information technology (I assume those are the screens saying how long until the bus arrives)-I'd rather have a dirty bus and know when it is actually coming. I could not care less if the bus exterior is dirty.

It also includes "HVAC" in this catagory-is this for the buses or the depots?

bus washers costs 50 times less than the real-time customer information technology. The HVAC is obviously for the bus depot.what you think a bus washer cost over a million dollars. most of the cost in that category is going to the HVAC.

What he means is the new CNG orders, rather than for say hybrid electrics or diesel only buses, will be replacing the older CNG buses. That is why CNG isn't 'dead'.

No, at that time when they stop the CNG operations expansion to other depots. MTA/NYCT was about to decide to pull out of CNG because it was so expansive to maintain CNG operations.

bus washers costs 50 times less than the real-time customer information technology. The HVAC is obviously for the bus depot.what you think a bus washer cost over a million dollars. most of the cost in that category is going to the HVAC.

Why is it so obvious that the HVAC is going to the depot? It could refer to an upgrade to the existing climate systems in buses-the list is not at all specific

A bus washer could be very expensive, I have no idea what a bus washer is. It could be anything from a hose and windex to a huge building like a car wash, or what they have at JY for the subways. If you are so knowledgeable, why don't you grace me with a picture or description of one, as well as a price tag?

^^^ Sort of....

They are using Clever Devices BusTime along 34 Street route in Manhattan that displays estimated arrival time, it is usally accurate.

Check this site: http://nycbustime.info/bustime/home.jsp

I hope MTA can use the displays sort of like Long Island Bus' Mineola terminal.

MTA is also going to test NextBus: http://www.nextbus.com/predictor/agencySelector.jsp ... NJT has this, so does other agencies.

Hopefully, it can expand to all areas.

Why is it so obvious that the HVAC is going to the depot? It could refer to an upgrade to the existing climate systems in buses-the list is not at all specific

A bus washer could be very expensive, I have no idea what a bus washer is. It could be anything from a hose and windex to a huge building like a car wash, or what they have at JY for the subways. If you are so knowledgeable, why don't you grace me with a picture or description of one, as well as a price tag?

A bus wash is the same thing like a car wash just a little bit bigger anybody with common sense knows that. Im not all that knowledgeable about these things but I am a bus operator from flatbush depot so i do know what a bus washer is.I dont have a price tag on what it is and if you would like to see one come to flatbush depot because you can see it if you stand right in the front where the buses pull in. the hvac thing i was just giving my opinion but some depots in the system need upgrades to their hvac system

A bus wash is the same thing like a car wash just a little bit bigger anybody with common sense knows that. Im not all that knowledgeable about these things but I am a bus operator from flatbush depot so i do know what a bus washer is.I dont have a price tag on what it is and if you would like to see one come to flatbush depot because you can see it if you stand right in the front where the buses pull in. the hvac thing i was just giving my opinion but some depots in the system need upgrades to their hvac system

Since you work there, can you answer this question:

When did they build that 'addition' on Av O? It seems like a waste that they broke up that av into two parts when they could've extended the depot on Fillmore and just push that road down accordingly over the location of that dinner.

Oh btw if you are ever walking by the depot and you see a guy wearing sunglasses and walking a 'beagle' feel free to stop me and wave hello or something :)

Archived