Toughest Immigration Law Is Signed in Arizona

NX Express

PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer of Arizona signed the nation’s toughest bill on illegal immigration into law on Friday. Its aim is to identify, prosecute and deport illegal immigrants.

The move unleashed immediate protests and reignited the divisive battle over immigration reform nationally.

Even before she signed the bill at an afternoon news conference here, President Obama strongly criticized it.

Speaking at a naturalization ceremony for 24 active-duty service members in the Rose Garden, he called for a federal overhaul of immigration laws, which Congressional leaders signaled they were preparing to take up soon, to avoid “irresponsibility by others.”

The Arizona law, he added, threatened “to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and our communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe.”

The law, which proponents and critics alike said was the broadest and strictest immigration measure in generations, would make the failure to carry immigration documents a crime and give the police broad power to detain anyone suspected of being in the country illegally. Opponents have called it an open invitation for harassment and discrimination against Hispanics regardless of their citizenship status.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/24/us/politics/24immig.html?hp

I agree, some kind of immigration reform is needed. Maybe not this type, though.

This is bullsh*t. Anyone that looks Hispanic is gonna be arrested. It's just racial profiling. I mean, how many illegals are there that aren't Hispanic? Few. And for the few there are, nobody would care for, 'cause they don't look Hispanic.

Hopefully some brave individual will challenge this racist law and the Supreme Court will be brave enough to overturn this rotten piece of legislation. This piece of legislation has set this country back 50 years and is unacceptable.

If people didn't enter the country illegally in the first place then there wouldn't have been a need for such a law. Plus there have been some incidents with ranchers on the border where an illegal killed them and of course a percentage of the prison population of non US citizens. If the person is here legally then what do they have to be worried about?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/24/us/politics/24immig.html?hp

I agree, some kind of immigration reform is needed. Maybe not this type, though.

I just read this news and parts of this new state law in Arizona. I think this law is also politically motivated for this Southwest state for it's size according to polls i read, which overall is more consertative than even Texas.

Also i think this Gov. Brewer who was Lt. Gov/Sect of State(Arizona has no Lt. Gov) and took over for now Obama Homeland Security Boss Janet Napolitano is maybe trying to make a name for herself and maybe even run on the GOP presidential primaries in 2012 and cater to the 'tea party' aka neo consertatives as well. Sounds like this Gov. Brewer did not reach out to the Hispanic community down there before creating this law.

I agree with NX, the current Immigration system is a disater and in this era of the post 9/11 world needed to be fixed. You know things are bad when not only drug lords go back & forth between the borders but also the 11 hijackers from '9/11. The current system is so bad in sense we might as well make Mexico join the United States.

I dont have answers on how to solve the illegal alien situation is this is a complex issue but another example of partisan politics and how Washington DC from both parties has not addressed an important issue since the drug war began in full scale in the 1960's.

Legalized racial profiling... yeah, this country's gone to shit...

can't wait for johnny boy (johnQpine) on here to say somethin to the tune of "well, that's what we need here in long island.... the illegals have taken over my town and enough is enough"...

It is true that illegal immigration is wrong, but don't forget this: If you are going to bust all the existing illegal immigrants, who is going to do menial labour?

Well then, let Arizona clean out all of their "illegals", and then watch them complain how their lawns are all brown, they can't find decent short-order cooks, or that nobody will work in the fields to harvest.

I mean, they work the jobs that nobody wants. I sure as hell wouldn't want to work under a broiling sun performing landscaping for eight hours a day for $75.

Sounds like a good law to me, illegals in Arizona account for most of the crime and home invasions/armed robberies.. So whats the problem? I live in NYC and carrying around your ID/Drivers License is pretty much mandatory already so how is this any different?

I don't think its a bad law. Any cop that would use it to profile a person poorly is already a bad cop and would have done so before this bill passed. It simply asks that legal immigrants be able to prove they are. Anyone who entered illegal should be booted back to where they came from.

Definately an overdue step in the right direction. I'm sick of hearing how its racist and profiling. Has anyone forgotten these people are breaking the law by being in the country illegally?

I sure wish we'd get such laws passed here in NY, I'm sick and tired of these illegals jamming up the bus and leaving their "trash" all over the place.

They put gang tags all over the buses too.

Well then, let Arizona clean out all of their "illegals", and then watch them complain how their lawns are all brown, they can't find decent short-order cooks, or that nobody will work in the fields to harvest.

I mean, they work the jobs that nobody wants. I sure as hell wouldn't want to work under a broiling sun performing landscaping for eight hours a day for $75.

Who did those jobs before illegals? The reason only illegals do those jobs now is because the wages are sub-legal with no benefits or OSHA oversight. It also doesn't help that we have a generation of people unwilling to due their own lawn. Its not only bad for our quality of life, but for the environment too. All those extra trucks and leaf blowers contibute alot to pollution.

Definately an overdue step in the right direction. I'm sick of hearing how its racist and profiling. Has anyone forgotten these people are breaking the law by being in the country illegally?

I sure wish we'd get such laws passed here in NY, I'm sick and tired of these illegals jamming up the bus and leaving their "trash" all over the place.

Wow a lively debate here:eek:. Seriously i am expecting the US Supreme Court to get involved & hear this case within a year or two since this is a very important issue. Reading and watching the local Phoenix area TV News and papers lawsuits were already filed moments after the Arizona Gov. singed the bill into state law.

And not to get too off topic this new law has huge politcal waves as Obama must pick a replacement for outgoing Judge Stevens who was the last major liberal justice from the 1970's/80's era and Stevens replacement could have a huge vote to decide if this law is upheld or rejected.

Immigration laws already state that you need to have your greencard with you, why is this law necessary? Leave immigration issues to ICE, not police officers who already have enough things on their plates. This will simply cause racial profiling against Hispanics. Hispanics aren't the only one that could be here illegally. Caucasians, Asians and Blacks can also be here illegally, do you think cops will stop them? No, because common misconception is that only Hispanics are illegal immigrants because of what the media and certain people would like for you to believe. It will only be a matter of time when the State of Arizona gets sued.

Immigration laws already state that you need to have your greencard with you, why is this law necessary? Leave immigration issues to ICE, not police officers who already have enough things on their plates. This will simply cause racial profiling against Hispanics. Hispanics aren't the only one that could be here illegally. Caucasians, Asians and Blacks can also be here illegally, do you think cops will stop them? No, because common misconception is that only Hispanics are illegal immigrants because of what the media and certain people would like for you to believe. It will only be a matter of time when the State of Arizona gets sued.

True. When was the last time you had a round-up of illegal white, European immigrants?

you're sick & tired of everything....

I'm sure that by this statement:

I'm sick and tired of these illegals jamming up the bus and leaving their "trash" all over the place.

They put gang tags all over the buses too...

you're referring to NON hispanic illegal immigrants too, huh?

I call bulls**t if the answer to this question out of you, is a yes....

but yet, you're sick of hearing how it's racist & profiling.... yeah, 'cause you're DOING it yourself...

talk about puttin your foot in your mouth.... lol...

sad part is you think this law would actually STOP them from coming here.

You said it yourself, they're breaking the law by being here...

so they'll be breaking one more law if that law was a] introduced, and b] passed, here in NYS...

these people won't be shakin in their boots, in the least.

so... rant on my friend...

rant on.

True. When was the last time you had a round-up of illegal white, European immigrants?

As someone who used to live in Coney Island area and tons of Russian Immigrants other than those suspected of being in the Russian 'mafia' or others with criminal charges, did get deported. However other than Russians i never hear of illegal White/European immigrants deported as much as Latinos myself.

No delivery boys too.

They come in here, work like slaves so that they could support their children and let them live up to the American dream. But they should have the patience to wait in their own countries to emigrate legally.

Wow a lively debate here:eek:. Seriously i am expecting the US Supreme Court to get involved & hear this case within a year or two since this is a very important issue. Reading and watching the local Phoenix area TV News and papers lawsuits were already filed moments after the Arizona Gov. singed the bill into state law.

And not to get too off topic this new law has huge politcal waves as Obama must pick a replacement for outgoing Judge Stevens who was the last major liberal justice from the 1970's/80's era and Stevens replacement could have a huge vote to decide if this law is upheld or rejected.

The law i believe will be deemed unconstituional because it is racial profiling and goes against eeverything the Bill of Rights stand for. This law is not an attack on just hispanics but an attacl on all people of color and if this Law is allowed to stand , we all could be stopped just on the premise of being a suspected illegal immigrants. Illegal immigrants come in all colors and ethnicity from Black, brown and White. Obama's next selection the Supreme Court will be critical and I just hope he selects someone with the jurisprudence and courage of a John Paul Stevens or a Thurgood Marshall.

you're sick & tired of everything....

I'm sure that by this statement:

I'm sick and tired of these illegals jamming up the bus and leaving their "trash" all over the place.

They put gang tags all over the buses too...

you're referring to NON hispanic illegal immigrants too, huh?

I call bulls**t if the answer to this question out of you, is a yes....

but yet, you're sick of hearing how it's racist & profiling.... yeah, 'cause you're DOING it yourself...

talk about puttin your foot in your mouth.... lol...

sad part is you think this law would actually STOP them from coming here.

You said it yourself, they're breaking the law by being here...

so they'll be breaking one more law if that law was a] introduced, and b] passed, here in NYS...

these people won't be shakin in their boots, in the least.

so... rant on my friend...

rant on.

I'm referring to anyone here illegally, hispanic, white, asian,etc.

If they come here illegally, loiter and piss on our streets, and bring gangs, they need to GO.:mad:

Its true Hispanics arent the only ones here illegaly by far but in Arizona, where it is so close to Mexico, the majority of illegal aliens are Mexican illegals. There are also more and more gang members jumping the border and are commiting violent crimes. Thats why they are cracking down in Arizona. This is also why Arizona is a right to carry state when it comes to guns, pretty soon they will even allow people to carry concealed weapons.

Its true Hispanics arent the only ones here illegaly by far but in Arizona, where it is so close to Mexico, the majority of illegal aliens are Mexican illegals. There are also more and more gang members jumping the border and are commiting violent crimes. Thats why they are cracking down in Arizona. This is also why Arizona is a right to carry state when it comes to guns, pretty soon they will even allow people to carry concealed weapons.
Not all Hispanic illegal immigrants are Mexican.

It is estimated Arizona has between 280,000 and 500,000 Illegal Immigrants, making it the sixth largest in that regard.

Arizona is a border state (in fact, we were part of Mexico originally) and while people do cross legally at San Luis, Nogales and Douglas, there are people who cross illegally in between. It's a fact of life.

Unfortunately, for those who cross illegally in the summer, and who often are ill-equipped with water and food, the southern Arizona summer sun and heat can be dangerous and even lethal. Arizona is a large state (114,006 square miles) and it's a bit of a distance to Tucson and a longer bit of a distance to Phoenix through a sparsely populated area.

When found, such a person is taken to an Arizona hospital (if alive) and nursed back to health before being sent back. Many times, the hospital is not compensated for the care it provided.

Then there are the "Coyotes". These are people who smuggle people across the border (for a fee) and bring them to a drop house (presumably until the fee is paid).

Agua Prieta (Douglas), Nogales (Nogales) and San Luis Rio Colorado (San Luis) generally are safe and the violence that has plagued Ciudad Juarez (El Paso) has blessedly not occurred. The potential is always there however. That is another concern of residents of Yuma, Cochise and Santa Cruz counties.

Arizona is not only a right to carry state, it's a right to work state also.

Archived