Toughest Immigration Law Is Signed in Arizona

NX Express

Thanks Paul for providing important insight as a current resident in AZ on a very polarzing & controversial issue:tup:.

It is estimated Arizona has between 280,000 and 500,000 Illegal Immigrants, making it the sixth largest in that regard.

Arizona is a border state (in fact, we were part of Mexico originally) and while people do cross legally at San Luis, Nogales and Douglas, there are people who cross illegally in between. It's a fact of life.

Unfortunately, for those who cross illegally in the summer, and who often are ill-equipped with water and food, the southern Arizona summer sun and heat can be dangerous and even lethal. Arizona is a large state (114,006 square miles) and it's a bit of a distance to Tucson and a longer bit of a distance to Phoenix through a sparsely populated area.

When found, such a person is taken to an Arizona hospital (if alive) and nursed back to health before being sent back. Many times, the hospital is not compensated for the care it provided.

Then there are the "Coyotes". These are people who smuggle people across the border (for a fee) and bring them to a drop house (presumably until the fee is paid).

Agua Prieta (Douglas), Nogales (Nogales) and San Luis Rio Colorado (San Luis) generally are safe and the violence that has plagued Ciudad Juarez (El Paso) has blessedly not occurred. The potential is always there however. That is another concern of residents of Yuma, Cochise and Santa Cruz counties.

Arizona is not only a right to carry state, it's a right to work state also.

I do not support illegal immigration. Illegal aliens take American jobs and don't pay taxes. HOWEVER, this law is way too draconian. It essentially gives the police the right to racially profile Hispanic people (even those who are here legally). This law is too vague and borderline racist.

Well then, let Arizona clean out all of their "illegals", and then watch them complain how their lawns are all brown, they can't find decent short-order cooks, or that nobody will work in the fields to harvest.

I mean, they work the jobs that nobody wants. I sure as hell wouldn't want to work under a broiling sun performing landscaping for eight hours a day for $75.

A crappy job is better than NO job. During last year's election I worked 14 hours in one day. I made $225. In this economy many people would gladly become busboys or messengers for minimum wage. Illegal immigrants steal jobs from Americans. However, that's not the point. The point is that this bill stigmatizes ALL Hispanic people in Arizona.

Arizona's very first-ever minimum wage is $7.25 per hour (same as Federal) but has a COLA: if the cost of living increases in a year, the Arizona Minimum Wage is increased the following year. This is based on the cost of living as measured by the federal Price Index For All Urban Consumers, U.S. City Average.

However, in workplaces where tips are regularly part of the job (i.e. full service restaurants), Arizona Minimum Wage can be $4.25 per hour providing the tips added to an employee's wage brings the total weekly wage up to $7.25 per hour.

A half-hour or an hour break is not mandatory unless an employee's shift is 4 and one half hours or longer; two half-hour or hour breaks are mandatory if an employee's shift is 9 hours or longer.

It's getting nasty in Phoenix as traces of violence has started on both sides of this hugely controversial law. Including threats against the Az. Gov Brewer. Here news links.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2010/04/27/2010-04-27_furor_over_arizonas_controversial_new_immigration_law_continues_to_grow.html

And the GOP Governor Defending the Bill w/ clip from the CBS-TV station in Phoenix.

http://www.kpho.com/index.html

Homepage / Phoenix News

Police Rescue Teens, Women From Drop House

Cara Liu

Reporter, KPHO.com

Posted: 10:16 pm MST April 26,2010

Updated 10:50 pm MST April 26,2010

PHOENIX-- Phoenix police say they discovered a drop house in west Phoenix Monday night and arrested three suspected illegal immigrants.

Police said one of the illegal immigrants who was held inside the house escaped, then ran and got help.

Officers found twenty-five (25) illegal immigrants being held inside the house - including a woman and two teenagers. One man was passed out and needed medical attention, police said.

The SWAT Team, suited up in full gear, was deployed, and a police helicopter was seen circling overhead, using a spotlight to search the neighborhood.

Mr. Jon Gonyea said he lives next door, and said his roommate was home at the time when the raid was conducted.

"He said an undercover officer approached the door, and told him to stay east of the house. He told me SWAT had shown up, and that he heard them tell the person inside to drop the gun.", Mr. Gonyea said.

Investigators said they believe the smugglers ["Coyotes"] were paid $3,000 a person, and brought the illegal immigrants over the border Sunday.

My great-great grandmother came here in 1902, legally, learned English, and assimilated. She still spoke Italian in the home, and her name is on the wall at Ellis Island. She came here not expecting handouts, only expecting to live the American dream after working hard. If she would have came here illegally and demanded handouts in 1902, she would've been turned around at Ellis Island.

If you want to come here, come LEGALLY. If you are here ILLEGALLY, you are breaking the law.

IAWTP.:tup:

My great-great grandmother came here in 1902, legally, learned English, and assimilated. She still spoke Italian in the home, and her name is on the wall at Ellis Island. She came here not expecting handouts, only expecting to live the American dream after working hard. If she would have came here illegally and demanded handouts in 1902, she would've been turned around at Ellis Island.

If you want to come here, come LEGALLY. If you are here ILLEGALLY, you are breaking the law.

That's not the issue, the issue is this law gives the police to racially profile. That means any Citizen, Permanent Resident will all get stopped and treated like criminals as if they were Illegal.

That's not the issue, the issue is this law gives the police to racially profile. That means any Citizen, Permanent Resident will all get stopped and treated like criminals as if they were Illegal.

Any person can cross here illegally. Just because many Mexicans could do it, does not signify that other ethnic groups could not cross into here illegally. I did recall that even illegal Asian immigrants used the border as a land route into here.

Immigration laws already state that you need to have your greencard with you, why is this law necessary? Leave immigration issues to ICE, not police officers who already have enough things on their plates. This will simply cause racial profiling against Hispanics. Hispanics aren't the only one that could be here illegally. Caucasians, Asians and Blacks can also be here illegally, do you think cops will stop them? No, because common misconception is that only Hispanics are illegal immigrants because of what the media and certain people would like for you to believe. It will only be a matter of time when the State of Arizona gets sued.

IAWTP.

Any person can cross here illegally. Just because many Mexicans could do it, does not signify that other ethnic groups could not cross into here illegally. I did recall that even illegal Asian immigrants used the border as a land route into here.

Yes, but in AZ most if not all illegals crossing the boarder are Latinos. I highly doubt that you would have a bunch of people from Poland or the Ukraine entering the US from Mexico into AZ.

Let's not forget that while Mexico is calling Arizona racists when Mexico vigorously patrols their boarder and 'shakes down' those sneaking thru Mexico.

Mexico needs to look at the mirror before criticizing Arizona's policies.

Hey, it sucks in Mexico, but that's no excuse to dump their problems onto the US. The US is broke enough as is.

Archived