Why is it called MTA Bus?

Robert Bosco

When the (MTA) took over the private bus companies, why did they name it (MTA) Bus, and not (MTA) New York City Bus?

That is a good question I always wondered that myself. I always thought that the (MTA) ran out of route numbers or something to that effect.

Good question. It could be due to the fact that the Yonkers depot is the only one that is not in NYC, so in order to keep all the private lines together, they named it (MTA)Bus. Also, Yonkers was the first depot to be taken over by MTA. Other than that, I don't see why it's not NYC Bus either. The buses are transfered from one division to another, and MTAB does subway shuttles as well. They didnt really run out of route numbers, as none of them overlap, and if they make new routes, there are plenty of available numbers in all the boroughs.

That is a great question. i have been wondering that myself because usually when a bus company divides into multiple divisions, its because the two divisions provide different services, for example if mta bus did only express and nyc bus did only local, then it would make sense to divide them but mta bus provides the same service that nyc bus provides. but i think mta has realized this because i heard they are proposing to merge all of the divisions together and it would go as follows:

MTA Bus + MTA NYC bus = MTA Bus

MTA NYC Subway + MTA Statin Is. Railway = MTA Subways

MTA LIRR + MTA Metro-North = MTA Railroads

but i think mta has realized this because i heard they are proposing to merge all of the divisions together and it would go as follows:

MTA Bus + MTA NYC bus = MTA Bus

MTA LIRR + MTA Metro-North = MTA Railroads

I hope they don't. I like the way New York City Subway and New York City Bus looks and sounds.

As to the question of why, it was funding issues from CoNEY (City of New York). NYC paid MTA $500,000,000 per year for NYC Subway and NYC Bus. When MTA agreed to take over the 7 privates, NYC wanted it at no extra cost, and MTA said that couldn't happen. So due to NYC funding both (IIRC 500mill for NYCTA and 200mill for MTA Bus), they are separated and funded separately. Even though the pay seems high for MTA Bus given it's only 7 depots, NYC fully funds that (as they fully funded the private lines), while only partially funding NYCTA (which state tax money goes for). It this regional thing ever gets through, NYC bus wouldn't make any sense, as the jurisdictional boundaries would be gone. MTA Bus just might be the future name of the DOB.

That can't happen due to what SIR really is. NYC Subway would be alone, in MTA Subways.

But ya, back on topic with why MTA Bus is what it is and not part of NYC Transit is because of what a few said already. Anything that was part of the privates should all be one. But definately is part of the MTA Network so that doesn't change.

Archived