Get magic keys that open the gates at 468 subway stations for only $27

This is the key to the city, and it cost only $27.

The key unlocks swing gates next to every subway turnstile, granting easy - and free - access to all platforms and trains.

And while these universal keys should only be in the hands of authorized transit workers or police and fire officials, copies have fallen into the hands of some regular New Yorkers - and they are taking the MTA for a ride.

"I've been saving a lot of money. There are 468 stations in the city and you can use it at any one of them," said a Brooklyn man who says he obtained a key from a transit worker for $27, the same price as a one-week unlimited MetroCard.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/04/25/2010-04-25_thieves_own_the_subway_for_27_get_magic_keys_that_open_the_gates_at_468_stations.html#ixzz0m8Bpw8Tq

post-3882-133288581742_thumb.jpg

post-3882-133288581742_thumb.jpg

If it falls into the wrong hands... we are in big, big, big trouble. So it's not just to protect us from petty criminals and fare beaters, but god-knows-who.

How, all it does is get you into a station (a public area) with out having to pay. While this is bad since people are getting in for free, it's not as if people were selling the keys to subway yards or signal rooms in tunnels.

If it falls into the wrong hands... we are in big, big, big trouble. So it's not just to protect us from petty criminals and fare beaters, but god-knows-who.

Oh wow im so scared, someone might use this key to enter the system for free instead of paying.

Wrong hands? if someone wanted to enter the system it only costs $2.25

Its easy to get this key, you just need to know a fireman :P

god forbid someone of the likes of me would happen to have such a key... and used it to enter the subway system....

I'd be carted off in handcuffs if I were caught...

and what gets me is, this dude got the gall to actually do a story, telling ppl that:

um, yeeeah, I've been saving a lot of money ever since a transit worker sold this to me for 27 bucks...

yah, f**k you.

I wouldn't want that key...

I'd be suspect EVERY time I LOOK like I'm loitering around those black doors....

and I'd buy that transit worker a brew for beatin this guy's bragging ass if he were to get fired and/or arrested b/c of it...

and I don't even drink !!

its amazing that the daily news just told the city about the fire key when 98% of the riding public did not know about it. also that key works in every elevator in the city and anywhere else that has a fire lock.

Seriously? Not every elevator unless u mean Fire lock in Elevator..?

every elevator in the city has a fire dept access which is the same key shown in the picture. its a universal fire key. for the fire dept. i have used it in elevators myself to cancel calls and have the elevator go straight to the floor i want to go to.:P

every elevator in the city has a fire dept access which is the same key shown in the picture. its a universal fire key. for the fire dept. i have used it in elevators myself to cancel calls and have the elevator go straight to the floor i want to go to.:P

Oh i thought that was to cancel a call for the FDNYafter pushing the call FDNY button. I didnt know it can be used to go thru all floors and stuff.. Nice.

It's a small gold key, and it doesn't cost $27 to reproduce...

$1.50 is all it cost, if you know where to go. Red (top) on those gates are for fire, black (bottom) are for police. No employee, with the possible exception of the MTA Emergency Response (System Safety), suppose to have those keys. No T/O, C/R, S/A, Superintendent, Line Manager, Line Assistant Manager, ACTO, CTO, etc, suppose to have those keys. Not even the President of NYCT, or the current head suppose to have those. They don't respond to emergencies, and it is only for those who do..........

Now saying that, quite a few employees have them. We could get arrested if caught using those keys also, but PD doesn't bother us about that as we do work here...........

:P

yes. every one. (fire lock)

(Name of key: 1620)

1 prob with that...the elevators are OOS till you turn FS Mode OFF.

its amazing that the daily news just told the city about the fire key when 98% of the riding public did not know about it. also that key works in every elevator in the city and anywhere else that has a fire lock.

Exactly. Why the hell couldn't the D. News close their damn mouths. What they did was just as stupid as telling the public the cameras dont work

Archived