Concerns About Subway Violence

Kingsbridge Bus

MYFOXNY.COM - Another stabbing in the New York City subway system has some people wondering if this isn't a sign of a violent trend. Life-long New Yorkers remember well a time riding the subway was dangerous. Recent headlines are eerily reminiscent.

The latest violence was a stabbing on the b train this week. Investigators say gangs of teens faced off at Strawberry Fields in Central Park. The violence followed them down to the 72nd Street and Central Park West station and ended with a 21-year-old stabbed in the back, the New York Post reported.

Add four cell phone robberies on the F train the same day, and you get a snap shot of what could be a disturbing trend.

The city's public advocate is taking notice.

"This is enough that it should be a wake-up call," Public Advocate Bill de Blasio says. He says there is no denying a rash of violent subway crime: A few weeks ago, two people were stabbed to death on the number two train. Before that was a subway shooting and last November another stabbing.

The crimes expose a glaring flaw in the (MTA)'s safety plan: thousands of high-tech security cameras that don't work.

"It's totally inexcusable," de Blasio says. "You can't have a subway system of this size and not provide basic security." The most basic of which are station agents; the (MTA) is laying them off.

"That's unacceptable. We all have a lot of issues with the MTA, but at least get safety right," he says. "You're not going to even have a rider ship if you don't have safety."

The (MTA) insists it is dedicated to upgrading security.

Despite the recent up-tick in violence, the NYPD says overall subway crime is actually going down, with an average of 5.6 crimes a day. That is down from 11 in 2001 and 50 crimes a day in 1990.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/traffic/mta/concerns-about-subway-violence-20100423

I dont see crime going down everywhere so its plain bs.. More like steady or increasing slowly.. Otherwise we wouldn't be hearing this crap... So FALSE!

Also, Security cameras isn't gonna stop an attacker to get his/her victim, YOU need a COP around to keep it safe. Camera is just gonna sit there and record everything.. Bull crap..

Take their retiree passes away and add more bike lanes...

You see those bike lanes that are placed between parked cars and the sidewalk? Pushes the parked cars into the middle of the street...creates a hell of a ******* blind spot!

I dont see crime going down everywhere so its plain bs.. More like steady or increasing slowly.. Otherwise we wouldn't be hearing this crap... So FALSE!

Also, Security cameras isn't gonna stop an attacker to get his/her victim, YOU need a COP around to keep it safe. Camera is just gonna sit there and record everything.. Bull crap..

Mark, I was thinking that same exact point as I scrolling through the replies before I got to yours. So true. Cameras won't do a damn thing but POSSIBLY get a fuzzy glimpse of the attacker or thief, and it sure as hell won't prevent anything from happening. The news should know that, since they don't prevent anything from happening: the news just prints pictures, shows footage and puts their own little eye- and ear-catching twists on everything that's already happened.

And what safety system can prevent violent and disturbed and desperate people from doing what they are willing to pay the price for if caught? Obviously they have no regard for anyone, including themselves. No amount of cameras or buzzers or advertising campaigns can prevent this kind of crap.

It's funny how everyone has all of the answers but none of the solutions. Here's my proposal for preventing attacks and muggings and pickpockets in a 24-7 transportation in a city of over 8 million citizens alone, without counting working commuters: the news should send Clark Kent to ride the trains and the Public Advocates should try breaking up a fight if they think that they can do better.

Arrogant A(S)(S)holes.

Its the Greedy TWU Workers fault....

Yeah. I mean, what were you thinking by going to work to support your families and yourselves by collecting a paycheck for doing your jobs and ignoring what you have no control or chance to prevent or will even know about until after it's already happened.

Take their retiree passes away and add more bike lanes...

They should. And then all bridges can have tolls installed and (MTA) can issue E-Z Passes at special dates depending on bike size. Obviously multi-seaters and especially rickshaws will be more because of the extra axles. :P

ah, gotta love the youth of today. Do you even remember how things were before Mayor Giuliani took over and cracked down on crime? Crime has been at a pretty good level for a city of this size. Check the crime statistics for major metropolitan areas and you will see numbers indicate that NYC is safe.

ah, gotta love the youth of today. Do you even remember how things were before Mayor Giuliani took over and cracked down on crime? Crime has been at a pretty good level for a city of this size. Check the crime statistics for major metropolitan areas and you will see numbers indicate that NYC is safe.

Sounds like someone is drinking the Cool-Aid, whats the flavor today? Yes NYC is not nearly as bad as it was in the 80's or 90's, but there is more crime now then there was 5 or 6 years ago and it is on the rise. Bloomburg and Kelly are trying to do more with less, why do you think Traffic, School Safety, and Auxiliary cars are painted white and look like RMPs? It's smoke and mirrors to make people think there are more police on the streets while the numbers of REAL police officers are being cut.

Bloomberg is more concerned about making people eat their vegetables and installing pedestrian plazas then solving real problems like crime and unemployment.

Don't forget the salt. Bloomturd says you can't have salt.

It's all about the ******* salt!

Sounds like someone is drinking the Cool-Aid, whats the flavor today? Yes NYC is not nearly as bad as it was in the 80's or 90's, but there is more crime now then there was 5 or 6 years ago and it is on the rise. Bloomburg and Kelly are trying to do more with less, why do you think Traffic, School Safety, and Auxiliary cars are painted white and look like RMPs? It's smoke and mirrors to make people think there are more police on the streets while the numbers of REAL police officers are being cut.

The School Safety cars that come to my office are still the old dark blue ones.

The School Safety cars that come to my office are still the old dark blue ones.

Next time you step out side anywhere in the city, keep you eyes open and look at every NYPD vehicle. ALL new NYPD vehicles, no matter what division they are from are painted white.

2854176986_1281b2558e.jpg

NYPD_Auxiliary_RMP.jpg

950199ee0b94cc33943bacaccbce9c92.jpg

Not a one is a real RMP.

Archived