Car Assignments

Robert Bosco

Different cars are assigned to different yards, which is the reason why. This is a list of what I think each car runs out of.

R32 - Pitkin/207 St Yard (A)(C), Jamaica Yard (E)(F)(G)(R)(V)

R38 - Pitkin/207 St Yard (A)(C)

R40 - Coney Island Yard (B)(D)(N)(Q)(W)

R42 - East New York Yard (J)(L)(M)(Z)

R44 - Pitkin/207 St Yard (A)(C)

R46 - Jamaica Yard (E)(F)(G)(R)(V)

R68/A - Concourse Yard (2500 to 2706 or something) (:D(D) / Coney Island Yard (R68 2706 to 2924 and all R68A) (B)(D)(N)(Q)(W)

R143 - ENY Yard (J)(L)(M)(Z)

R160 - cars 8313 to 8652 belong to ENY Yard (J)(L)(M)(Z), while the rest and all R160B belong to Coney Island Yard (B)(D)(N)(Q)(W)

Let me break this down more:

R32- (A) and (C) come from Pitkin and 207 Street. (E), (F) and (R) come from Jamaica Yard. The (F) and (R) rarely use R32s

R38- (A) and (C) from Pitkin and 207 Street. Sometimes you see R32s and R38s mixed.

R40[M]- (;), (W), and rarely the (N). The (D) would use an R40 after a Yankee game or during a G.O. They are stored in Coney Island yard. Some R40s are stored at Concourse Yard for (:P service.

R42- (J), (M), (Z) come from East New York yard

R44- (A) and the Rockaway shuttle from Pitkin and 207

R46- (F), (G), (R), (V) come from Jamaica

R68- lower numbered come from Concourse and run on the (D), higher numbered come from Coney Island and run on the (B), (N), (Q), (W), and (D) during some G.Os

R68A- (B), (N), (Q), (W) and come from CI. Just like the R40s some might be stored at Conc. Yard for (B) service.

R143- only the (L) and come from ENY

R160- I don't know the difference between R160 A and B, but I do know that the 5 car sets run on the (N) and (W) and come from CI, and the 4 car sets run on the (J), (Z), and (L) and come from ENY.

IRT breakdown next post

R62- (3) stored at Livonia, there are a few on the (4) too that are stored at Mosholu

R62A- (1) stored at 240 Street, (7) stored at Corona, Times Square Shuttle stored at Livonia IIRC. IIRC, there is still a set of R62As still running on the (3) which comes out of Livonia. There also might be a set of R62As on the (4). I'm not sure if its there still.

R142- (2) and (5) stored at either 180 Street or Unionpoint or 239 Street, (4) stored at Mosholu

R142A- (4) stored at Mosholu, (6) stored at Westchester Yard.

I don't know the difference between R160 A and B

The base order R160A are numbered 8313 to 8652 (4 car sets) and 8653-8712 (5-car sets) for a grand total of 400 cars.

The base order R160B are numbered 8713-8842 (Alstom ONIX AC Propulsion) and 8843-8972 (Siemens AC Propulsion) for a grand total of 260 cars.

The only differences include slight differences in window size, window sill protection (the R160B have a steel covering around the windowsill to prevent vandalism IIRC), propulsion (Siemens R160B) and car manufacturer.

Yes, there is a money train but its not like the one in the movie.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?45798

But this is the real money train. Well used to be before being preserved for the museum recently.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?75365

Thanks. I've seen the yellow cars before, but it's been a couple years.

Archived