Wal-Mart eyeing Brooklyn shopping center for it's first store in NYC

Shortline Bus

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LRG you have yet to answer my question to you about lack of any stores ie Pathmark, Shop Rite in poorer neighborhoods of the city in my previous threads? I bet 90% of those living in the 'lower income' neighborhoods would go to Wal Mart in heartbeat. And last time i was in the city. Saturday April 10, 2010 to have 'dinner' with my brother in Manhattan who works for Metro North.

Plus i still have relatives/few friends in the 5 boros so I am in the 'city' at least 1x a month. I bring my laptop every where lol so that why it seems i am every second lol.

And wal mart will bring down the prices of those overpriced department stores in Manhattan as well.

Well I haven't been to these "poor" neighborhoods unless I'm passing by them on a bus. I live in a rather "okay" area but I'm hardly ever here except for when I'm sleeping because I'm usually in Staten Island around Willowbrook by my school or New Springville in the mall area. I remember transferring to the B60 from the (3) train while railfanning at Rockaway Avenue and I did see a supermarket there but nothing can be said for all the other areas because I really wouldn't know unless I'm getting off the train.

And how do you know this?

WalMart is constantly issued some sort of fines for their "illegal" competition, yet they get around it. I've had this discussion in my history class early this year in regard to this.

Also LRG have you ever been to a Wal Mart before?

Yes I've been to the one in Long Island (forgot the area, but I believe Green Acres?), back in 2007

LRG even in Staten Island just go to Port Richmond and the St George's areas besides Jamaica,/SE Queens and Brownsville, Brooklyn which have been among NYC poorest neighborhoods for at least 30-plus years and yet to be gentifired.

That could possibly be some good locations for Wal Marts since they lack box stores stores people like yourself LRG in middle class or richer neighborhoods have such as Pathmark, Shoprite, Target etc. have way too much of.

Instead in most cases they only have Keyfood, Associated, etc. or only small grocery stores, which in most cases are way overpriced. Even where i grew up in Sea Gate/Coney Island in 1980's/early '90's we had only major grocery store/mini supermarket in entire area and nearest supermarket was a mile away a Pathmark. Now since i moved out, Home Depot, Starbucks and other 'mega box stores' have opened up near the CI area.

PS. This is not getting off track topic Guys, the issue of whether to put a Wal Mart in NYC is related to also dealing with areas of the city that have no box stores at all. So bare with me ok thanks.

FYI. LRG if you parents/family has a car there is '2' Wal Marts near Staten Island that is often busy, Linden, NJ (Off Route 1)and Old Bridge NJ (at (NJT) park and ride bus station.

Well I haven't been to these "poor" neighborhoods unless I'm passing by them on a bus. I live in a rather "okay" area but I'm hardly ever here except for when I'm sleeping because I'm usually in Staten Island around Willowbrook by my school or New Springville in the mall area. I remember transferring to the B60 from the (3) train while railfanning at Rockaway Avenue and I did see a supermarket there but nothing can be said for all the other areas because I really wouldn't know unless I'm getting off the train.

For all you know, Wal-Mart might be the thing that they need. Even if they have a lot of stores there, it doesn't mean that the prices are good for them or that the quality of what they are buying is any good. Wal-Mart could suck too, but at the very least, people should be able to have as many options as possible to make the best choices for them and their family. If you don't like the store, don't shop there, but hopefully you won't have to break your neck to go to the next store.

WalMart is constantly issued some sort of fines for their "illegal" competition, yet they get around it. I've had this discussion in my history class early this year in regard to this.

Just because stuff like that happens in one part of the nation does not mean it will happen in another. The fact that it is so hard to get Wal-Mart in this city is proof of how different business is in NYC compared to a place like Dallas or Seattle. If there is a Wal-Mart in the 5 boroughs, I'm sure things will be done a little different here than elsewhere and hopefully "illegal" competition won't happen. We will see.

My family and I from the Bronx head to the Wal-Mart in Secaucus. However, I am 50-50 on bringing Wal-Mart to New York City. I support the store since it would bring low prices in items, especially for working-class to poor New Yorkers. If a Wal-Mart was put in let's say Hunts Point or Mott Haven, it would single-handedly become one of the highest grossing stores in the nation due to the low prices' appeal to the South Bronx's working class to poor populace.

As for the opposition, I'm afraid that with the advent of the rejection to the Kingsbridge Armory proposal, Bronx politicians and community groups would oppose anything that would not provide living-wage jobs ($10 per hour plus benefits). I'm also concerned that Wal-Mart mainly attracts those with cars instead of pedestrians and urban commuters. I've been to the White Plains Wal-Mart and it's pretty drab. To make matters worse, you have to pay for parking per hour, which currently turns many Bronxites off from shopping at the BJ's at the Gateway Center Mall.

As for the opposition, I'm afraid that with the advent of the rejection to the Kingsbridge Armory proposal, Bronx politicians and community groups would oppose anything that would not provide living-wage jobs ($10 per hour plus benefits)

The community WANTED the Armory project. It was the crooked politicians who opposed it. They represented the labor unions who feared the project. $7.25 an hour is better than $0 an hour.

Replys in Blue...

Also, there are at least one Walmart in the City Zone of cities like Philadelphia, Dallas, Seattle and Chicago. So it is time for New York to do this and New York is an city of tourism, so people may be looking for Walmart because it is an International Store.

Okay okay, BUT does it really warrant for NYC to have a Walmart just because ALL THE OTHER CITIES have them???

We don't live in a rural area. We have stores at every single corner hence the term "corner store". Is a Walmart THAT called for??? If you want lower prices then tell Albany to drop the idea of a POS soda tax.

Okay okay, BUT does it really warrant for NYC to have a Walmart just because ALL THE OTHER CITIES have them???

We don't live in a rural area. We have stores at every single corner hence the term "corner store". Is a Walmart THAT called for??? If you want lower prices then tell Albany to drop the idea of a POS soda tax.

If Walmart comes to the five boroughs say goodbye to the mom and pop specialty stores and small businesses. They cant compete with Walmart prices and will be driven out of business because walmart sales are driven by bulk and they can take loses in certain departments and make the money up in others.The mom and pop stores cant take loses and stay in business

I have a simple solution: if you abhor Walmart THEN DON'T SHOP THERE. However, it's unfair to prevent people from shopping at Walmart, especially when shopping there saves them time and money.

Don't get me wrong..... I like Wal*Mart....... but the retail businesses that will be near it will be in for quite a suprise! Statisticly, whenever a new Wal*Mart is built an average of 2 retail stores in the area go out of business!

That's not my problem. We live in a capitalist society. I couldn't care less about these mom and pop stores (it's not like it's my mom and pop). My only concern is saving money.

Even at the expense of Asian/South American Child labor???? Supposedly Wal*Mart has addressed this issue...... and the super low prices may be good for us, but what did they do (do they do) to get these prices so low??????

The community WANTED the Armory project. It was the crooked politicians who opposed it. They represented the labor unions who feared the project. $7.25 an hour is better than $0 an hour.

And thanks to the politicians, I'm guessing that they've done a good job in convincing the community to oppose anything below living-wage.

This is the way I see it. We (NYC people) live in an urbanized area. Is a Walmart necessary??? The only reason that areas like LI and New Jersey have Walmarts is because they live in areas where there is no public transportation for one, making the only method of back and forth transportation within the area viable by car, and to top it off, those areas are either suburban or rural, so with nothing BUT houses those people will have to drive to get their necessary goods. We, however, are more fortunate than that.

This is the way I see it. We (NYC people) live in an urbanized area. Is a Walmart necessary??? The only reason that areas like LI and New Jersey have Walmarts is because they live in areas where there is no public transportation for one, making the only method of back and forth transportation within the area viable by car, and to top it off, those areas are either suburban or rural, so with nothing BUT houses those people will have to drive to get their necessary goods. We, however, are more fortunate than that.

I could be an @ss and say,"incorrect" but I'm not going to do that. However, you're wrong.

Walmart has a myriad of goods and products. Instead of going all over the place to buy things people can shop at Walmart and save money. Yes, Walmart has engaged in dubious business practices but do you really think the single mom from the Marcy Projects cares about that? If you don't like Walmart then shop at Target or Kmart and feel free to picket outside of Walmart. However, it's unfair to deny low-income people access to a store that they want.

Even at the expense of Asian/South American Child labor???? Supposedly Wal*Mart has addressed this issue...... and the super low prices may be good for us, but what did they do (do they do) to get these prices so low??????

I hate to sound callous but that's not my problem. I care about my family and my community, not some sweatshop in Cambodia. Walmart saves people money, regardless of how it's done.

I hate to sound callous but that's not my problem. I care about my family and my community, not some sweatshop in Cambodia. Walmart saves people money, regardless of how it's done.

Those are some wonderful values that you have there.

I could be an @ss and say,"incorrect" but I'm not going to do that. However, you're wrong.

Walmart has a myriad of goods and products. Instead of going all over the place to buy things people can shop at Walmart and save money. Yes, Walmart has engaged in dubious business practices but do you really think the single mom from the Marcy Projects cares about that? If you don't like Walmart then shop at Target or Kmart and feel free to picket outside of Walmart. However, it's unfair to deny low-income people access to a store that they want.

This is the way I see it. RURAL areas (e.g. Upstate NY, Connecticut) deserve Walmart as well as a "myriad" of those strip malls because there is nothing on every single block except for houses. So, they drive for half an hour or so, buy their goodies, see a movie and call it a day.

We are in New York. To clarify, New York City. Which means that everywhere we go, we have apartment buildings on the major streets like Nostrand Avenue, Jamaica Avenue and other major through streets that sit atop restaurants and stores, with supermarkets every five-seven blocks or so (I used to live by Lenox Road and Nostrand Avenue so there was a supermarket right around the corner from me on Nostrand Avenue; the next supermarket was on Church and Rogers (I'm sure B35 may be aware of the area...lol). My dad didn't have a car so we walked, especially since we lived around the corner.

Simply put, you live in a certain area so you put up with what you have (I'm speaking in general here). Therefore, do I overall support a Walmart in NYC limits? I lean towards no.

You just answered my question, and I guess you're supporting illegal business then.

Case in point, I DISAPPROVE of a Walmart in NYC.

Archived