The "Cut" is being worked on

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sperry cars (all over the world, not just the one here) X-ray the rails to find defects inside the rail. It is a patented technology and system so only Sperry provides the service. The TGC does NOT have this capability, the TGC does check alignment, gauge, rail height, tunnel condition, and can check for hot spots that might become fires.

The SRS car runs 24/7, right?

The SRS car runs 24/7, right?

Adding on to IND's statement, it also runs at night when service is obviously less frequent so as to impact service less. I saw it pass by my stop at around 6 in the morning. I think there's two on property, cars no. 402 and 403. I see #403 at CI Yard often.

Now, if the MTA would only bring back the IND. express tunnel from Seventh Avenue to Church Avenue and maybe Bergen Street Lower Level......

That's apart of the Culver Viaduct rehab.

Now, if the MTA would only bring back the IND. express tunnel from Seventh Avenue to Church Avenue and maybe Bergen Street Lower Level......

I was on an (F) running late that went express from church to 7th ave and then stopped at jay st 10 minutes from church to jay great ride

I was on an (F) running late that went express from church to 7th ave and then stopped at jay st 10 minutes from church to jay great ride

Unless you went express on the local, you could not have done that in the last several months.

Unless you went express on the local, you could not have done that in the last several months.

Was on the F for the first time in a while this week. The rehab on the bridge is coming along nicely. Also, at Jay, the connection to Lawrence St. seems to be progressing. Seems like there are a couple new staircases that have opened.

Was on the F for the first time in a while this week. The rehab on the bridge is coming along nicely. Also, at Jay, the connection to Lawrence St. seems to be progressing. Seems like there are a couple new staircases that have opened.

To tell you the truth since I ride the (F) every day, I think the project is a waste. Yes they resurfaced the concrete and they are laying new tracks, yes the signals will be upgraded and a new relay room has been built, but things are going too fast for the repairs that are being made to be beneficial in the long term. I have a feeling that in 10 years, more work will need to be done.

To tell you the truth since I ride the (F) every day, I think the project is a waste. Yes they resurfaced the concrete and they are laying new tracks, yes the signals will be upgraded and a new relay room has been built, but things are going too fast for the repairs that are being made to be beneficial in the long term. I have a feeling that in 10 years, more work will need to be done.

Is the project contracted out?

They will have to, because in the Culver project, one of the local tracks would be knocked OOS for the time being in order for them to work on the thing. Which means a lot of backriding.

Now on the Cut: That's interesting. So I assume that the route selector thing at Broadway Lafayette is going to display the (M) in lieu of BJ or whatever they are showing now.

They will have to, because in the Culver project, one of the local tracks would be knocked OOS for the time being in order for them to work on the thing. Which means a lot of backriding.

Now on the Cut: That's interesting. So I assume that the route selector thing at Broadway Lafayette is going to display the (M) in lieu of BJ or whatever they are showing now.

The punchboxes on the southbound local track at Broadway-Lafayette correspond with 86-Ball, just south of the station. One of three routes can be selected, with the aspects as shown: bottom-green: Rutgers Street Tunnel ((F) route); bottom-yellow: 2 Avenue terminal tracks ((V) route), routed to either of the two stubs via 34-Ball, the next signal; three yellows: Chrystie Cut (BJ-1 track). The sign accompanying the punchbox has a warning for the Cut that "R-46 equipment does not fit there." At some point, someone with a black marker wrote in the route letter next to each signal; at least at the 10-car spot - I can't remember ever looking at the boxes further down the platform for shorter trains. I'd imagine that the (M) will be using the punchbox at the 8-car marker because of the shorter platforms on the trackage that the (M2) currently serves.

• 2 weeks later...
I happened to see the GO notice, and it's a chip-out, meaning they're replacing the roadbed. It's supposed to be finished 6-7.

If you take the (B) or (D) Uptown past Grand St, You can get a good look at what they're doing. It looks like the cut had the same roadbed that was installed on the 6th Av line at the north end of 57th Street (concrete roadbed with molded stands for the rails). They are replacing it with tie blocks embedded in concrete (Type IIM track, I believe?).

Also, I saw Engine 58 (I believe, it's quite blue) on the work train assigned to the cut, if anyone wanted to know.

Archived