Subway’s Decline and Growth in 2009

Eric B

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/26/nyregion/26subway.html?emc=eta1

Surprised at the places that dropped (the most busy places in Mahnattan) and the places where it grew (like on the Eastern Div. This really makes it look good for weekend (M) service whenever money for service increases is available again, and then it will be going to a much better place in Manhattan for all the new riders).

I'm only going to say this once: this (M) has only come to light because of the fact that the MTA was facing budget shortfalls that resulted in this idea being thought of in the first place. In the end, the (M) and (V) will be restored back to their original configurations, especially when the Culver Viaduct project is finished, resulting in the implementation of this combo line an utter failure, and returning the (V) so serve it's sole purpose: a feeder line to the (F).

You're drinking the MTA's Kool-aid. I swear to god, those people that live in Middle Village and Glendale, as well as a handful of those that live in Ridgewood, seriously need to get a grip. Who waste MORE time getting to Manhattan on a new line that will still have terrible headways and will be prone to delays because of the other lines (E), (F), (J)/(Z) to name a few that have more seniority over it?

Im wondering if closing a station that is next to another station(Like 3-4 blocks apart) ill benefit and save cash?

Example.. 116th to 110th (1)(2)(3)(4)(6)(A)(:P©, Intervale Avenue to Simpson Street (2)(5), Jackson Avenue to Hunters Point (7), Elder to Soundviews avenue (6) etc..?

Im wondering if closing a station that is next to another station(Like 3-4 blocks apart) ill benefit and save cash?

Example.. 116th to 110th (1)(2)(3)(4)(6)(A)(:P©, Intervale Avenue to Simpson Street (2)(5), Jackson Avenue to Hunters Point (7), Elder to Soundviews avenue (6) etc..?

No way buddy! :eek:

No way buddy! :eek:

Oh, seeing that some bus stops can close down.. I guess im wrong

As for your comment n the (M), why would the (M) be have bad headways. Maybe along the IND side but the BMT i don't see much, unless its becuz now its combined with the (E)(F)(R) which ill increase it?

Oh, seeing that some bus stops can close down.. I guess im wrong

As for your comment n the (M), why would the (M) be have bad headways. Maybe along the IND side but the BMT i don't see much, unless its becuz now its combined with the (E)(F)(R) which ill increase it?

The (M) currently runs every 8-10 minutes. The most it'll be increased to is 6-8 minutes and nothing more. Still doesn't explain the fact that those lines that intertwine with the (V) at the moment are more frequent, and the (J)/(Z) have seniority over the (M2) line which will make matters no better than now.

Well, subway riding trends depend on several factors:

1. Economics... if New Yorkers can't afford gas and cars, they'll take the train.

2. Government... some mayors are concerned with mass transit, others aren't. Same goes for the state and the funds transit recieves.

3. Crime... if people are scared to ride the subway (cue 1980s) then they will avoid the trains.

I'm only going to say this once: this (M) has only come to light because of the fact that the MTA was facing budget shortfalls that resulted in this idea being thought of in the first place. In the end, the (M) and (V) will be restored back to their original configurations, especially when the Culver Viaduct project is finished, resulting in the implementation of this combo line an utter failure, and returning the (V) so serve it's sole purpose: a feeder line to the (F).

You're drinking the MTA's Kool-aid. I swear to god, those people that live in Middle Village and Glendale, as well as a handful of those that live in Ridgewood, seriously need to get a grip. Who waste MORE time getting to Manhattan on a new line that will still have terrible headways and will be prone to delays because of the other lines (E), (F), (J)/(Z) to name a few that have more seniority over it?

Regardless, the ridership has increased in thoose neighborhoods, and that is what they will look at when desiding what to do with the service.

Smokin' them rocks is bad ya know :P

You'd have too many abandoned stations and too many pissed off commuters

Archived