City Officials Seek Federal Assistance For 7 Subway Extension...

With Hell's Kitchen being a popping place on the weekend, a station on 10th would help develop the neighborhood as well as ease the commute for residents/party-goers. I'm fairly certain that 10th Ave would be more used than 34th-JJC if both stations of the (7) Extension were to exist today. It's about time that this issue was brought to the attention of the government.

By: NY1 News

Updated 04/27/2010 07:19 PM

Some New York officials will be traveling to Washington, D.C. Wednesday to try and get the federal government to cover the cost of another station for the 7 subway line extension.

Members of the Real Estate Board of New York will meet with Vice President Joe Biden's staff tomorrow to ask the White House to provide $500 million to build a stop at 41st Street and 10th Avenue.

"We've recently re-zoned a whole bunch of the far west side. Really creating potential of a brand new neighborhood, a neighborhood that is going to have residential possibilites and great commercial possibilities and we want to make sure people can easily get there," said City Council Speaker Christine Quinn.

The city is funding the $2 billion project but is only paying for a station at 34th Street and 11th Avenue.

The 41st Street station was in the original plan, but was eliminated when costs escalated.

Link: [ http://www.ny1.com/8-queens-news-content/news_beats/transit/ ]

Meanwhile thier buddies in the (MTA) are cutting service.

Do anybody see whats wrong with this?

I hope the Government tells them to go Eff themselves...

The only thing i see wrong is the mayor not paying the full cost of this.(he has plenty of money)i also hope the goverment tells them to eff themselves.

What does it matter that Bloomberg has money? That his money. He doesn't have to use it for public usage.

He's the one that wanted the (7) line extended,he should pay all or a portion of it instead of shoving the bill down the (MTA)'s throat.

With Hell's Kitchen being a popping place on the weekend, a station on 10th would help develop the neighborhood as well as ease the commute for residents/party-goers. I'm fairly certain that 10th Ave would be more used than 34th-JJC if both stations of the (7) Extension were to exist today. It's about time that this issue was brought to the attention of the government.

I am sorry but why are Bloomberg and Quinn asking for federal help for a project that not even a top need such as the SAS or LIRR/ESA and yet the (MTA) is doing maybe the biggest service cuts in it's history at end of June?

No offense West End but imo the (7)extension while nice and I would support in good economic times should be put on the shelf.

I am sorry but why are Bloomberg and Quinn asking for federal help for a project that not even a top need such as the SAS or LIRR/ESA and yet the (MTA) is doing maybe the biggest service cuts in it's history at end of June?

No offense West End but imo the (7)extension while nice and I would support in good economic times should be put on the shelf.

IAWTP. If Bloomberg wanted it so badly, he should give money for it. I hope Uncle Sam denies the money.

^ Exactly. The whole point of the station is for long-term economic growth, which is what we need right now. While the Javits Center station is virtually useless as the West Side redevelopment plans have basically been stalled, Hell's Kitchen is still growing and this new station would help spur development and make better use of West Midtown.

The article does say the city is paying $2 Billion for the project and two stations. They (the city not MTA) just want $500 million, for one more station...........

The feds should tell them to go f themselves, and if they are going to give $500 million, it would go to the MTA for service, not any new unnecessary projects for MTA or the NYC. Only the SAS would get funds from the $500million if needed..........

Saying all this, $500 MILLION FOR ONE F-ING STATION, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE SH!TT!NG ME!!!!!!!!

Agreed this project is luxury but Bloomberg is trying to placate his real estate buddies by giving them subway stops to increase the value of their high rises.

Hold on.

It took them $30 million to demolish and completely rebuild Avenue U station. Why does it take $500 million to build this? Unless I'm missing something, that's a huge rip-off.

I may be misguided, but I'm sure that since this is a COMPLETELY new subway line branch that their making, they would try to make everything state of the art. What I mean by this is a whole bunch of useless glass being used to make station entrances and that kind of thing.

Hold on.

It took them $30 million to demolish and completely rebuild Avenue U station. Why does it take $500 million to build this? Unless I'm missing something, that's a huge rip-off.

Two things: one of them is an existing station that is being rehabilitated. The other station is but an in-fill station on a currently extended subway line. Adding to what KTrainExp said, rehabilitation really means: no frills and the planned station will have a gutload of new technology matching the modernity of the extension.

And do me a favour, can you stop comparing everything to Avenue U? I've seen this in the other thread.

Archived