City Officials Seek Federal Assistance For 7 Subway Extension...

As was said, this is a new station underground, which would require the excavation of a station cavern (if it's not cut and cover), escalator/stair, elevator, and emergency access shafts, which is tons more rock that would need to be drilled, blasted, and removed.

Then, when the cavern is completed, the station needs to be finished, which means cavern lining, platform construction, stairway-escalator-elevator construction, lighting, miles of wiring, and whatever ancillary additions is needed.

On the surface, there would need to be utility relocation, traffic protection and maintenance (MPT), and all the extras involved in street construction. The utility relocation contract alone for the 86 St station for the SAS is $34 Million.

That's the cost of construction for you. I'd rather them inflate the price now than to hear them complain about being over budget a few years from now.

As was said, this is a new station underground, which would require the excavation of a station cavern (if it's not cut and cover), escalator/stair, elevator, and emergency access shafts, which is tons more rock that would need to be drilled, blasted, and removed.

Then, when the cavern is completed, the station needs to be finished, which means cavern lining, platform construction, stairway-escalator-elevator construction, lighting, miles of wiring, and whatever ancillary additions is needed.

On the surface, there would need to be utility relocation, traffic protection and maintenance (MPT), and all the extras involved in street construction. The utility relocation contract alone for the 86 St station for the SAS is $34 Million.

That's the cost of construction for you. I'd rather them inflate the price now than to hear them complain about being over budget a few years from now.

Don't forget, they are going to install air cooling systems and what not. And yes, any underground station (whether new or in-fill) will cost a lot because of the type of construction. It's going to be particularly invasive. Even though the right of way may have been built, the entire thing is submerged, so rocks would have to be dug out and everything.

Plus, if you build an in-fill after the thing goes in service you will experience problems. It's not just the cost, but also there will be periodic short term outages because they have to stop trains from running as safety guidelines for the type of construction they may be using. Even if they don't stop trains from running, the cost would go up even more because they have to embark on safety guidelines to ensure that nothing will affect the running of the trains. So it's not just the cost that people have to worry over, it's also the logistics.

On an open cut or overground system, in-fill stations, new stations or rehabilitations are fairly easier. There's really no need for ancillary equipment. Also, what is being compared is a rehabilitation/reconstruction of an existing overground subway line station to a planned in-fill station on an underground extension of a subway line that is currently under construction. To be honest, that is very much like comparing apples to oranges.

I may be misguided, but I'm sure that since this is a COMPLETELY new subway line branch that their making, they would try to make everything state of the art. What I mean by this is a whole bunch of useless glass being used to make station entrances and that kind of thing.

state of the art like south ferry which is falling apart.

Archived