Motorman dies while operating on a G train

Abba

R.I.P T/O.

I'm wondering though, in the same scenario, in case of emergency where the (G) lets say was OPTO and it was stuck halfway between stations, who would guide the passengers?

The operator of the next train who sees that the train is stalled, I guess.

It's possible this was the case in the Willy B crash.

Yeah a motorman was killed in that collision. Some T/Os were scared to operate the R40M/R42 mismatch pair for quite some time because it was "haunted".

Now this (G) train consist is gonna be "haunted" as well....

very sad indeed, and thank God for the deadman's switch, and also for the fact that he wasn't travelling at 30+ mph when it happened.

Even if he was, the train would be nearly impossible to crash. At places where the trains go very fast, or curves, if a train is ahead, the red signal would be 3 or more signals behind the train. The stop arm would be up also, and that would put the train BIE. These signals now, put us to far apart to hit the back of another train now. Unlike the railroad, we do have stop arms, as you may/may not know........

It's possible this was the case in the Willy B crash.

That shouldn't have happened regardless. Red signal with stop arm up, suppose to be far enough behind a train ahead of you, that if you pass it, you go BIE well before hitting the back of another train. During that crash, possibly signals weren't red as far behind a train as they are now.........

Another Motorman passed on the 17 of April, who had over 20+ years on the job. I though being a B/O was a killer job, but it's bad here too. Aggravation, and not monitoring our health, gets alot of us here. TA loves nothing better than us to go belly up, and have no family, so they got their time out of you, and don't have to pay your pension. Only if it could go to a charity, for those who have no beneficiary..........

Archived