Port Authority chief: Tear down Queens' LaGuardia Airport

Harry

Port Authority boss Chris Ward said Tuesday that LaGuardia Airport should be torn down - and then completely rebuilt as soon as money is available.

The facility that whisks millions of travelers on their not-so-merry way is a chaotic and unwieldy mess that's not fit for the 21st century, Ward argued.

"LaGuardia should not be the gateway for domestic flights into New York City," Ward told a Crain's New York Business breakfast forum. "It should fundamentally be torn down and rebuilt again."

The stark comments from the PA's executive director seemed to startle business executives at the Grand Hyatt. Demolishing the 72-gate, 680-acre facility has never been publicly debated.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/04/28/2010-04-28_port_authority_chief_tear_down_laguardia_airport.html#ixzz0mS50gCBU

post-1-133288581744_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581744_thumb.jpg

It's not even that. Where's the money for this project going to come from?

That's the main concern. I just saw the report on Channel 4 and they said the Port Authority doesn't even have the money for this.

...So they're suggesting to tear down one of two major airports that serve the New York area. And to think that they would suggest carrying out such a move in the largest city in America. Their are cities two-thirds the size of NY that have more airports than this place. Besides, if they were to tear the current thing down, "red tape " and "a lack of funding" would result (predictably) in there being no new airport opening until at least 2020. That's how things in this city/state/country always proceed...

Well, I do not think they should make it a mixed use community, they should just renovate it, JFK Airport and EWR Airport will be overwhelmed by the Amount of Flights coming in and out, like at JFK, flights come in like Busses going into the PABT on a typical weekend. Closing LGA means flights will go into JFK and EWR like busses going into the PABT on a typical weekday.

Now the thing is, LGA has a smaller role in the civilian aviation business in the city. JFK and EWR could add on additional facilities to meet up to any growing pressure, they do have some flexibility, compared to LGA. But also, both of them have established connections (both surface and rail). Upgrading LGA would be a PITA: it was created during a time when air travel was rather new (the 1930s?), so that explains its small size. So if you would like to upgrade it, you would have to knock down existing facilities to put new ones in, and everything else. Living space is rather limited in Manhattan proper, it would be rather beneficial to develop more residential units, if LGA is closed.

But the thing is New York Airports suck literally, and it has some of the worst on-time ratings. So keeping LGA here is at least better than directing everyone to go to JFK and EWR, actually LGA can be pretty busy, I was once on a flight that waited in the take-off queue like 1 and a half hour. And flights were literally taking off like every 2-3 minutes, so we were way behind, I can imagine what is like for JFK and EWR passengers. LGA is the third major airport, I would rather see Stewart or MacArthur Airport closed than LGA getting closed.

Just tear it down.

But the thing is New York Airports suck literally, and it has some of the worst on-time ratings. So keeping LGA here is at least better than directing everyone to go to JFK and EWR, actually LGA can be pretty busy, I was once on a flight that waited in the take-off queue like 1 and a half hour. And flights were literally taking off like every 2-3 minutes, so we were way behind, I can imagine what is like for JFK and EWR passengers. LGA is the third major airport, I would rather see Stewart or MacArthur Airport closed than LGA getting closed.

Stewart or MacArthur Airport should be expanded not closed to take the pressure off of JFK, EWR and LGA

Stewart or MacArthur Airport should be expanded not closed to take the pressure off of JFK, EWR and LGA

You may also warrant better land access (both by road and rail) to those airports, if they have to relieve pressure. It also gives them recognition. Like right now, many people would probably be like "where the hell is Stewart or Macarthur?"

I agree, rebuild, send the overflow to newark, teterboro and philly. Would create so many jobs.

Create a safe secure eco-green airport for the 21st century and put people to work too.

- A

Archived