The Axe Has Fallen on 500 S/A (Layoff Notices)

rtype3995

the ax has fallen on at least 500 s/a........some people got letters, and to make matters worse, they are being told they have until next week to bring all of their ta issued stuff down to p.s 248..............not a good day to see fellow employees lose their jobs.........i wouldnt expect anything less from mta, s*** they are that inconsiderate to tell u you fired with out much notice..... but im really disappointed in what is a lack of a fight by the twu for these members jobs.....its beyond disgraceful that u take these peoples dues money, and we dont hear a peep out of them in regards to what strategy you are going to take!!!!!! theres so many options the union could have taken, and once again they manage to screw up!!!!! you could have gone to jay walders house and camped out; call a strike, something!!!!! instead these guys sat on their ass and did nothing!!!!! here's an email someone sent me:

To whom this may concern,

Just spoke with John's assistant in the Union office! Those liars said that "Striking" was never on the table due to the Taylor Law "punishable with fines and jail time". It didn't matter in 2005 when "Toussaint was incarcerated for three days as per a Taylor Law ruling". Boo Hoo, who ever would have thought Toussaint had what it would take, instead of the cowards in the union now who are scared for themselves. God forbid the judge rules the dues check off again, the union can't have that, Oh no, but layoff, who cares. 'Read the taylor law" is all they could tell me, when my husband is going to be out of a job in a week. "and if you still don't understand speak to a lawyer to explain it" first smart thing this union said. I say all the 600 or so laid off station agents get together and file a class action lawsuit AGAINST the UNION not mta. Keep in mind the MTA is taking care of their own, it's your UNION (TWU local 100 which collects your dues every paycheck) that isn't doing anything for you, they aren't stepping up. I will gladly keep a list of all the layoffs with names and contact info, if anybody has or knows of a lawyer it's time to speak up. Your time has run out, and your "brothers" and "sisters" of "solidarity" with the union and seniority don't give a damn!!!

Thank you for your time,

Klarisa, wife of an unemployed station agent as of May 7th

One more thing,

Marvin Holland (phone # 646-XXX-XXXX) that he gave during a meeting) just told me that there is a Monday meeting at the UNION Hall in the city at 10am and 5pm. Force them to strike or else!!!

Feel free to call TWU local 100, ask for John Samuelsen 212 873-6000 not his assistant, and plese let me know if he ever answers the phone, he's not saving jobs so I'm not sure what he does, but hey his job is safe and that's what he is making sure of.

so i want to see all these b.s union defenders come out now and awnser for this one........and samuelsen has the glorious distiction of having the first ever set of layoffs of a local 100 member on his watch.........smh.......

My heart goes out to all those hard workers who either had dreams of doing what they always wanted to do or the persons just trying to eat everyday. Good luck to those and hopefully they find a better job somewhere else.

And it does not matter how many letters you write or ralleys you protest on, when these Mutha F'ers announce something like this, there mind is made up and its set in stone. So save the giant rat for another day.

Isn't laid off and getting fired two different things? I am not trying to be unsympathetic, but won't all those laid off get their jobs back eventually? You collect your umemployment, get a side job off the books, do what you got to do.

They(white collar bastards) will get theirs eventually. karma works in mysterious ways.

There is only ONE person to blame for any TWU worker getting laid off, that scumbag Roger Touissant!! He is the one that gave away the no lay off clause and didn't even get anything in return for it.

Isn't laid off and getting fired two different things? I am not trying to be unsympathetic, but won't all those laid off get their jobs back eventually? You collect your umemployment, get a side job off the books, do what you got to do.

They(white collar bastards) will get theirs eventually. karma works in mysterious ways.

Laid off /Fired almost the same thing = NO MONEY! Who know when they will get their job back? and its probably under their discretion.

i think that at the very last hour, the TWU is going to give givebacks to the (MTA) to save their members' jobs. they just cant start with that because it'll make them look weak and they had other avenues to pursue first. they tried hard to get politicians to force the (MTA) to use 10% of the stimulus money. they also tried to get public opinion against the (MTA) by using subway security as a wedge issue about the S/As being laid off. none of those worked so i think we're about to see Tier 5 and OPTO, maybe even a lower starting salary for new hires :cry: . i have no inside info but this would be my guess

What's the point in striking if less than 15% of the workforce will actually walk out? We cannot strike right now because a strike is only as strong as the amount of people who honor it. Since it's only the junior people who are feeling the pinch and not the seniors, and since the layoffs are not affecting RTO, a strike would fail miserably right now.

There is only ONE person to blame for any TWU worker getting laid off, that scumbag Roger Touissant!! He is the one that gave away the no lay off clause and didn't even get anything in return for it.

Exactly, and givebacks are FOREVER, the no lay off clause will never ever be given back. One wonders how much $$ Roger took under the table for that......

Exactly, and givebacks are FOREVER

You havent seen anythign yet John is being pushed in a corner and he may have to make a choice the open up the contract, or see the membership get clipped a few thousand....

Of coruse NOBODY is talking about Metro North, L.I.R.R and their Operating Personel.

You havent seen anythign yet John is being pushed in a corner and he may have to make a choice the open up the contract, or see the membership get clipped a few thousand....

Of coruse NOBODY is talking about Metro North, L.I.R.R and their Operating Personel.

Don't want to sound racist but the Metro North and LIRR are primarily operated by white people.Whereas the TA/OA/MTA Bus are operated by minorities.

Yeah it's bad I got my letter yesterday afternoon. It didn't come as a surprise. I was upset about it, but not as upset as I thought I would be. They have a bunch of crap with the lay off notice about how they are sorry and they know how difficult losing your job can be yeah right!!. Also they will have people from the NYS DOL there to help you set up your unemployment insurance and job assistance. It also says something about someone will be there to answer all your questions about your final paycheck. They have better be paying me for my 2 weeks of vacation time I have left as well as AVA's, PLD and sick time. It also talks about reinstatement which is a crock because since they will never hire anyone from outside for the position , being reinstated is a joke. Because no matter what Me and anyone else they call back will still be at the bottom of the barrel . So when that bald headed prick decides to make more cuts I will be the first to go once again. Well I guess it's time for me to live off the government and state for a while, 99 weeks of unemployment checks is not too bad. And I wish good luck to any other twu members that are in the TA's cross hairs. And the union what a joke they did absolutely nothing to prevent this from happening and whenever I called them they had no information on what was going on. I paid my dues for 4 and a half years and got nothing back in return for it but a pink slip and a boot in the ass.

Still waiting for the axe to fall here at Metro North. In the craft that the cuts are allegedly going to come from there hasn't been any new hires since last November. There have also been quite a number of retirements and craft changes since then. Hopefully, there will be enough vacant jobs to absorb those in the positions that are getting cut. However I'm not counting on it.

Still waiting for the axe to fall here at Metro North. In the craft that the cuts are allegedly going to come from there hasn't been any new hires since last November. There have also been quite a number of retirements and craft changes since then. Hopefully, there will be enough vacant jobs to absorb those in the positions that are getting cut. However I'm not counting on it.

Crafts(shop work) sorta like RCI's?

I don't know what an RCI is but each craft has it's own union and you can bid and bump only within that craft.

Example, there's conductors in one craft. Engineers in another. RTC (rail traffic controllers) in an other. Track workers in another. Building and bridges workers in another... etc.

The craft that most of the action is going to effect is that protected by the TCU. This craft includes most "administrative" positions such as office clerks but also includes ticket sellers, inventory control clerks and custodians. When these jobs get cut the stuff flows down hill and those who hold jobs that are abolished can exercise their seniority and bump into jobs held by junior persons.

Hey Will ,

Shit*y deal , man. Sorry to see you go. Good luck. Since you got 99 weeks , enjoy the summer and live a little. Be strong. A better opportunity will come along and when it does , you won't miss this place. :tup:

Yeah the (MTA) definitely did do a Goldman Sachs of Sh*t blowing through money like it grows on trees what a shame

i thought you had about 10 years?

im sorry to hear bro....its a joke these guys take your money and dont even look to represent you.......i hope you and every one that got that layoff notice look to hire a lawyer and file a class action suit.........

as for the strike call, at least call a bluff....put something out there....all you hear from the union is bs pep rallies with second tier polititians attending them.........its a joke........

Archived