m5,m10 and m3 rerouted

MTV Operator

The m5 is expected to no longer service houston st. Come june but will instead head to the south ferry b/c the m6 will be elimated. The m3 is expected to head to houston to make up for the m5.the m10 is expected to terminate at 59th st./columbus circle instead of penn station

According to the booklet, it says that the M5 would go to South Ferry and no existing route would be extended to Houston Street to replace it. Riders along Houston Street could use the M21 (though weekend service would be eliminated) to/from Broadway/6th Avenue.

- slowly killing off the m10, I see...

(bus) ridership along CPW isn't that great... it's in Harlem & in Midtown (the outer thirds the route) where the M10 sees decent usage... anyone in harlem that embarks on the M10, don't travel south of 116th... w/e little usage the M10 will see along CPW, to 59th st, IMO, won't be enough to justify keeping the route...

- the M3 to houston isn't the worst thing in the world.... what's another 5 minutes to to an (already) slow local...

- if the M5 gets sent to S. Ferry, expect that route to have a runtime of 2 hrs end-to-end.... it's already a 90 minute run... and of course there'll be no increase in service... expect wait times b/w buses to be that much more longer....

....and how many more times will the M6 be slated for extinction.....

- slowly killing off the m10, I see...

(bus) ridership along CPW isn't that great... it's in Harlem & in Midtown (the outer thirds the route) where the M10 sees decent usage... anyone in harlem that embarks on the M10, don't travel south of 116th... w/e little usage the M10 will see along CPW, to 59th st, IMO, won't be enough to justify keeping the route...

- the M3 to houston isn't the worst thing in the world.... what's another 5 minutes to to an (already) slow local...

- if the M5 gets sent to S. Ferry, expect that route to have a runtime of 2 hrs end-to-end.... it's already a 90 minute run... and of course there'll be no increase in service... expect wait times b/w buses to be that much more longer....

....and how many more times will the M6 be slated for extinction.....

Wrong. The M10 is usually pack south of W 116th Street. I usually see it myself.

I have heard the m5 will no longer run limited and the m3 will be limited.the 3's are a long line to begin with.I've worked it many tiimes. The 5 goin to the ferry makes up for the m6 and the m1 which I've heard will terminate at 106

Wrong. The M10 is usually pack south of W 116th Street. I usually see it myself.

the M10 is usually packed south of 116th, is an embellishment...

Harlem riders, for the most part, don't take that route past that point....

I should really say past 125th, but there is a healthy crowd that originates around 116th, heading northward....

whatever crowds you see heading northbound along CPW, are riders that would have already gotten on b/w Penn station & columbus circle... hell, I'll even give you to the Tavern on the green entrance b/w 66th & 67th where that M10 & 72 stop is located...

CPW does not have that many unique M10 riders to the point where it can exist as a standalone route, between 59th & 155th (it's NB terminal)..... w/o the harlem crowd, the M10 would be dead in the water, if it were to get cutback to 59th....

I have heard the m5 will no longer run limited and the m3 will be limited.the 3's are a long line to begin with.I've worked it many tiimes. The 5 goin to the ferry makes up for the m6 and the m1 which I've heard will terminate at 106

I see the logic behind getting rid of the m6 & sending the m5 down to S. Ferry..

I can believe that they'd make the M5's all regular/local; didn't they recently have it make all regular m6 stops south of 14th?

Anyway, adding LTD's to the M3 makes sense (some would say it's long overdue)....

What I don't quite understand, is... why would the M1 be shortened to 106th?

Regardless, thanks for all the info...

The m10's a rough line .a fellow operator recently had the passanger window shattered when somebody threw a brick at the bus window.that line is heavy during the day in harlem.at night its dead quiet.I've worked it many times.it is busy on 8th ave on the weekends.on cpw you don't pick up much or drop except at the crosstowns.also there's a lot of fare beating on this line uptown

Ok, I understand that I'm just basing this off the map, but: why would they shorten the M1 rather than say the M3 or M4 which goes further north on Manhattan?

Just thought I'd mention that the M1 is only going to be shortened weekends.

Where is the source for the M3 being extended to Houston Street? The MTA said that they were only going to streamline it with the M2.

Well, after reading this...let me put my two cents in here.

The M3 extension to Houston St is good. Keeps the ridership along that part Houston St (for about what...two blocks?). Here's my question, how will the M3 proceed uptown? Along 6th Av to W 23rd St and then W 23rd St to Madison Av OR cut across W 14th St and turn up through Union Square onto Park Av South that way?

Oh and I just thought that I should mention that if the M3 is LIMITED and the M1 is cut back to W 106th St, then what LOCAL bus will serve 5th and Madison Avs during rush-hours since the M2, NOW M3 and M4 are LIMITED up and down those two avenues. Q32? M5 (on 5th Av only)? Just some food for thought.

The M10 ending at Columbus Circle (TO ME) makes no sense. I end it at Times Square at least and then go to W 159th St from there. Besides, you have the M7 and M20 that will take to you Penn Station. By the way, are there plans to extend the M20 to the South Ferry? There was before with the elimination of the M9.

The M6 being cut (AGAIN!) kind of makes sense because along Broadway, what is your alternate? Here's a hint...look BELOW! The N, Q (up to about Canal St) and R trains. That's the alternate...at least for traveling between 57th St to 8th St (take the M5 from there if you choose). Then with the M5 running to the South Ferry and serving 6th Av from basically 59th St to Battery Park makes up for that.

So we shall see what happens but this is the MTA so um...yeah. June 27th is a month away.

Good post there... I'll follow suit.

Well, after reading this...let me put my two cents in here.

The M3 extension to Houston St is good. Keeps the ridership along that part Houston St (for about what...two blocks?). Here's my question, how will the M3 proceed uptown? Along 6th Av to W 23rd St and then W 23rd St to Madison Av OR cut across W 14th St and turn up through Union Square onto Park Av South that way?

IMO, neither....

- They'll probably turn NB (northbound) M3's on W. 8th st... & have it continue along 8th st, to 4th av; basically, what the M2 does on E. 8th st... or...

- They'll probably turn NB M3's on W. 8th st... & have it continue along 8th st, to university place (where no NB M3 stops would be lost/discontinued)...

Oh and I just thought that I should mention that if the M3 is LIMITED and the M1 is cut back to W 106th St, then what LOCAL bus will serve 5th and Madison Avs during rush-hours since the M2, NOW M3 and M4 are LIMITED up and down those two avenues. Q32? M5 (on 5th Av only)? Just some food for thought.

- The M1 will still remain a local during the rush...

(service NORTH of 106th is getting cut on the M1, not south of it...)

- The M4 runs LTD & local service during the rush...

The M10 ending at Columbus Circle (TO ME) makes no sense. I end it at Times Square at least and then go to W 159th St from there. Besides, you have the M7 and M20 that will take to you Penn Station. By the way, are there plans to extend the M20 to the South Ferry? There was before with the elimination of the M9.

I'm not too fond of the M10 ending @ CC either...

....but since the MTA is suddenly fixated on the getting rid of duplicative routings bit; guess they figure having:

- the M7, & the (inconsistent, unreliable) M20, down 7th av, and...

- the (inconsistent, unreliable) M20, the M16 (from 34th to 42nd), and the M104 (from 42nd to 59th)... up 8th av

(remember, they want to truncate the M104 to TSQ)

...is enough of an alternative, surface transit-wise, to the loss of the M10 b/w Penn station & 59th

The M6 being cut (AGAIN!) kind of makes sense because along Broadway, what is your alternate? Here's a hint...look BELOW! The N, Q (up to about Canal St) and R trains. That's the alternate...at least for traveling between 57th St to 8th St (take the M5 from there if you choose). Then with the M5 running to the South Ferry and serving 6th Av from basically 59th St to Battery Park makes up for that.

Yup...

That, and the M6 is rather dead, outside of the rush, on weekdays.... it seems like the M6 gets more midday ridership on the weekends anyway....

IMO, neither....

- They'll probably turn NB (northbound) M3's on W. 8th st... & have it continue along 8th st, to 4th av; basically, what the M2 does on E. 8th st... or...

- They'll probably turn NB M3's on W. 8th st... & have it continue along 8th st, to university place (where no NB M3 stops would be lost/discontinued)...

You may have a point about W 8th St. Make the M3 use the same routing to head back uptown in that direction. Good point there.

- The M1 will still remain a local during the rush...

(service NORTH of 106th is getting cut on the M1, not south of it...)

- The M4 runs LTD & local service during the rush...

I actually saw three M1 LIMITED heading uptown about two weeks ago. Are you telling me that they are making the M1 a LOCAL bus once the cuts go into effect?

So that would mean that the M4 LOCAL would get the brunt of this along with the Q32 SOUTH of 59th/60th Sts. UGH!!!

I actually saw three M1 LIMITED heading uptown about two weeks ago. Are you telling me that they are making the M1 a LOCAL bus once the cuts go into effect?

So that would mean that the M4 LOCAL would get the brunt of this along with the Q32 SOUTH of 59th/60th Sts. UGH!!!

lol @ the way you put it....

Anyway, lemme see if I can summize this for ya....

Regarding weekday service, currently:

- The M1 has a local & a LTD counterpart

(LTD M1's only run in the peak direction, during rush hours)

(local M1 service run all day, including rush hours)

- M2 has a local & a LTD counterpart

(LTD M2's run b/w the beginning of the AM rush, until the end of the PM rush - both directions)

(local M2 service only run outside of rush hr)

- M3 only runs local

- M4 has a local & a LTD counterpart

(LTD M4's only run in the peak direction, during rush hours)

(local M4 service run all day, including rush hours)

- M5 is a LTD route, by definition... only time it runs local is after the pm rush, on through the late night hrs....

* The part in Red answers your question/concern....

The M1 & M4 would still run local service during the rush.

I haven't assessed the concentration/percentage/ratio of riders that choose the M1 over the M2 over the M3 over the M4.... so I couldn't begin to give you a guess of which route would get the brunt of the local riders....

----------------

going by what MTV Operator posts in this thread, the:

- M1 would be shortened to 106th st (the PDF only mentions on weekends... I'm not sure if MTVOperator is sayin that this cut will happen during the weekday as well... Nothin was mentioned regarding LTD service...

- M3 would be extended to Houston st, and become LTD....

(I'm not sure if he's saying that it'll be a LTD route [like the current M5].. or if it'll just have a LTD counterpart added to it)

- M5 will be extended to South Ferry, and will no longer run LTD

^^ If any of that isn't accurate, then he (MTV Op') can correct it/fill us in....

The PDF also states that the M1 Part Time to South Ferry is replaced by the M5, unless you meant the portion to 8th street which is revised. I was wondering about the whole streamlining of the M1 & M3, but with the summer pick coming into effect, it NOW makes sense.

The PDF also states that the M1 Part Time to South Ferry is replaced by the M5, unless you meant the portion to 8th street which is revised. I was wondering about the whole streamlining of the M1 & M3, but with the summer pick coming into effect, it NOW makes sense.

In a nutshell barring a bailout the changes in Manhattan bus service is confusing like hell.

If anything the m5 should be keeping it's limited stop service(it runs weekdays only)between 72nd. While the M7 should be extended to 8th St.

While the M3 should have been the 5th/Madison if needed and run it at least to 86th/Lex station.

And i also object to the M98 ending at 68th. At least run it from 42nd/UN so the route will be useful.

lol @ the way you put it....

going by what MTV Operator posts in this thread, the:

- M1 would be shortened to 106th st (the PDF only mentions on weekends... I'm not sure if MTVOperator is sayin that this cut will happen during the weekday as well... Nothin was mentioned regarding LTD service...

- M3 would be extended to Houston st, and become LTD....

(I'm not sure if he's saying that it'll be a LTD route [like the current M5].. or if it'll just have a LTD counterpart added to it)

- M5 will be extended to South Ferry, and will no longer run LTD

^^ If any of that isn't accurate, then he (MTV Op') can correct it/fill us in....

That's EXACTLY my point. "MTV operator" needs to answer that because I know the M1, M2 and M4 have local service mixed with the LIMITED service. HOWEVER, if that M3 has LIMITED service added to the local service, then something does not add up.

Believe me bro! I know how you're answering my question. I feel you but what's throwing me off is that "potential" M3 LIMITED. That's all.

All else is good. Thanks for your help though!

Archived