NJ Transit receives its first of 1,145 new buses

Pablo M 201

NJ Transit receives its first of 1,145 new buses

By Larry Higgs (Staff Writer)

February 21, 2008

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080221/NEWS03/802210539/1007/NEWS03

NEWARK — The first of 1,145 brand new, refrigerator-white buses ordered by NJ Transit was parked outside the mass transit agency's headquarters last Wednesday, smelling like a new car.

Bus number 5201 is the first of the vehicles, which will become as familiar to riders as the similar buses they will replace, representing about half the fleet of the agency's "transit" or city buses and suburban buses. They will phase out the oldest boxy buses first, starting this summer and continuing for the next six years.

Executive Director Richard Sarles ran through the list of features on the new bus like an auto show spokesmodel.

Improved air conditioning and two inches more leg and hip room in suburban-style buses, brighter lighting and individual reading lights are among the amenities Sarles listed.

Bus stops also will be shown inside the bus on light emiting diode displays.

The buses also are the first to be delivered with security cameras installed inside the vehicle and have improved emissions equipment that meets or exceeds federal pollution standards.

The buses also have a larger area for drivers.

The new buses also have wheelchair lifts for handicapped riders.

The $409 million order of 1,145 buses will have 1,070 transit or city buses and 75 suburban buses. A contract was awarded in January 2007 to North American Bus Industries Inc., of Anniston, Ala., to build replacements for 80 percent of NJ Transit's fleet of buses.

The new buses will replace three generations of buses: the 1994 Flxible Metro D, the 1995 Nova A and the 1999 Nova B buses, all which have already been through midlife rebuilds.

Delivery of the new buses will take place over six years at the rate of 200 buses a year. At that rate, the newest "old" bus will be 14 years old before retirement, said James Gigantino, vice president and general manager of bus operations, in an earlier interview. Federal transit standards give buses a life span of 12 years.

The prototypes arrived earlier than the summer 2008 arrival date.

Hybrids were ruled out because they are about 30 percent more expensive than diesel buses, he said. The new buses conform to the latest environmental standards, which reduce particulate, the solid material in bus exhaust, and nitrogen oxides, Gigantino said.

The new buses are 50 percent cleaner than the buses they replace, meaning the familiar cloud of smoke people are used to seeing behind a bus will disappear, Gigantino said.

Photo: http://cmsimg.app.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=B3&Date=20080221&Category=NEWS03&ArtNo=802210539&Ref=AR&Profile=1007&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

I won't give final judgment until I see the bus in person and ride it.....

I really like that bus and I'm really suprised that NABI redesigned a High Floor model. Do you know what routes the suburbans are most likely to operate on?

In North Jersey, I think you might see them hit the 156, 158, and 159. If not those, another route out of Fairview. I don't think Meadowlands will get them so quick.

But thats just an assumption for now. I can't say anything for sure right now til more of these buses come in and when they actually start service.

I'll let you know on anything when I find out or info gets out.

Not very appealing. Does anyone think the bike rack will get any kind of use.
In South Joisey, yes.

Pablo,

Do you really think the 158, 159 routes will get those?

I see mostly the "acordian" style buses on those routes.

What I'm thinking is NJT would really test during the rush. So, when they're coming out Fairview, they would mainly test on the 156, 158, and 159 since those routes see Flxible Metro-Bs for rush hour service (and sometimes MCI D4000s).

Soooooo...... NJDOT says the new buses are overweight! Whats up with that? What does this mean for NJT?

They're gonna be screwed if they can't fix it.

They're not going to turn to Orion. New Flyer won't switch back to making high floor buses. MCI has the rights for the Flxible models but lords knows if they'll start productions of transit buses.

So they're really running out of options. And NJT scares away companies with their overcustomizations.

Now, it has been said the problem the NABI is having can be fixed but with a few changes to the bus. It sort of explains the NABI very hard to find since NJT debuted it to the media a few weeks ago.

They're gonna be screwed if they can't fix it.

They're not going to turn to Orion. New Flyer won't switch back to making high floor buses. MCI has the rights for the Flxible models but lords knows if they'll start productions of transit buses.

So they're really running out of options. And NJT scares away companies with their overcustomizations.

Now, it has been said the problem the NABI is having can be fixed but with a few changes to the bus. It sort of explains the NABI very hard to find since NJT debuted it to the media a few weeks ago.

Hopefully they will work that out soon then. Whats the story on the Orion/NJT relationship? Did they have some kind of problem back in the day?

Hopefully they will work that out soon then. Whats the story on the Orion/NJT relationship? Did they have some kind of problem back in the day?

You can say that.

I dunno the absolute clear story, but let me break it down to you like this.

At first, they were like, just plain ol' regular head people just talking a few things. Then both companies didn't like what was doing and what one was asking for. So in the end, it settled down with something and now both have beef against each other.

You can say that.

I dunno the absolute clear story, but let me break it down to you like this.

At first, they were like, just plain ol' regular head people just talking a few things. Then both companies didn't like what was doing and what one was asking for. So in the end, it settled down with something and now both have beef against each other.

I heard a while ago somewhere that the big Nova order was supposed to have been for Orion. It had something to do with Ms. Milan that Nova got it instead of Orion.

NJT approved the NABI and is starting testing the demo. It already has shown itself at the Port Authority Bus Terminal so be on the look out!

My guessing that its definately going to be on the 156, 158, or 159 during rush hours since I think this thing is at Fairview right now. More news when it comes!

NJT approved the NABI and is starting testing the demo. It already has shown itself at the Port Authority Bus Terminal so be on the look out!

My guessing that its definately going to be on the 156, 158, or 159 during rush hours since I think this thing is at Fairview right now. More news when it comes!

Well...photos are here, taken along Bergenline Avenue.

• 2 years later...
Currently they are, yes. Although there's a rumor that NJT cancelled the NABI deal since most of the new buses are POS. If that's true, oh boy......why did they decide NOW to cancel it AFTER all the Metro B's are destroyed is my question.

From what I heard, NABI is to deliever the buses that are already in the manufacturing process and then there is some hold pending change to the order (if we see buses well in the 5600s then that might not be the case).

I think NJT has been drawing back to the board to see what options they have cause I think they're finally waking up and these buses aren't as great as they're trying to pass them off to be....

From what I heard, NABI is to deliever the buses that are already in the manufacturing process and then there is some hold pending change to the order (if we see buses well in the 5600s then that might not be the case).

I think NJT has been drawing back to the board to see what options they have cause I think they're finally waking up and these buses aren't as great as they're trying to pass them off to be....

I knew something was up. I heard some Washington Twp drivers talking about how they suck. I honestly cant say how they drive since I havent drove one. I been on one and they seem fine.

They should repower all of them with the cat engines if its an issue, continue the order. I ride these all the time, and they are really nice and a hell of a lot faster than the flexibles.

- A

Archived