Classifying stations

Thinking about the crowding trends that take place in the subway system, I have put our stations into 3 groups. The groups are:

1. Crowd spillers- stations in which most or all of the riders are entering trains in one direction and leaving trains in the other. I think we all know what happens when drink gets spilled, all of the spilled content flows in the direction the spill took place and then takes the shape of the surface it spilled on. This is why I used the word spillers to describe this group of stations.

2. Crowd Transfer- stations in which a good number of riders exit and get on trains in both directions. If you've seen a station where a bunch of riders exit the train and a bunch get on to replace them, that station is crowd transfer.

3. Crowd Spifers- Spifer is a mesh of spiller and transfer. That being said spifers are stations that can serve as both a spiller or transfer depending on the direction or time of day.

Let there be a nice dicussion based on what I just said. Which stations should go in which group? I would like to hear the expertise of NYCTF users.

Flame wars are permitted if this becomes a debate but don't get personal.

You want to give a few examples (like what stations in particular), just so to give a more clearer idea?

Spillers would be for example Woodlawn, Pelham Bay Park, Gun Hill Road(Dyre Av). At these stations riders rarely board northbound trains and rarely exit southbound trains. All of the riders are spilling either on or off the train depending on the direction. Crowd Transfer takes place at Times Square and Grand Central of course. A spifer would be Sutphin-Archer(JFK) as lots of transfer takes place during rush hours but off peak that station becomes a big spiller as most E riders get off for the LIRR or AIRTRAIN and most riders getting on want the J as it's a one seat ride into Brooklyn.

Well I'd say many Lower Manhattan Stations are "crowd spillers"....with most ppl getting off the trains in the AM and on in the PM...examples..Wall St..Broadway Nassau..etc. also 34th st Penn Station are crowd spillers many ppl are getting on the trains in the AM and off during the PM..stations along the 53rd St Line are also like this..many ppl getting off in the AM and on during the PM...I would say the majority of stations during the midday & weekends are crowd transfers. Grand Central is definitely a crowd transfer..and Times Sq is a crowd transfer.

I dont think the Spifer one really makes sense though...because the volumes of ppl change thru out the time of day...and if most ppl are getting on at a stop its probably the same stop the got off earlier.

How would you classify 145th Street-Lenox Avenue (3) and Marble Hill-225th Street (1)?

Spillers, I guess.

IMO, most, if not all, Brighton, Sea Beach, Pelham, Jerome, Rockaway, outer QBL, and Flushing Line stations are spillers.

What would you Call 59th Street CC (:((C)(D)(A)around 5PM on a workday?

I guess that time of day plays a big role in this.

Transfer. There's always people getting on, people getting off, and people transfering between the (A)(D), the (:o©, and the (1).

Archived