R142 Trucks

m7zanr160s

Is it possible for the R142 airspring to pop or rupture? And if so would the train still be operable with a popped airspring?

It happened to me, on my truck. I'm lucky I didn't get hemorrhoids, from that harsh bumping..........

A dead motor can also result in the entire trainset to run slower than usual, doesn't it?

Leaving Edler Ave S/B, I have had trains hit 26mph before I cost, while others only go 24mph, before the same spot I got to coast at. From Hunts Point, to Longwood S/B, some trains got 37+, while the worst one I had yet went 34mph........

Need to clarify this Robert(not saying you are wrong) In a R142 consist the Bombs and the Kawasakis, it goes likes this A-B-B-B-A-A-B-B-B-A.

Now all "A" cars are the ones with two traction motors ALL "B" cars have trailer trucks with one traction Motor. So instead of twenty motors in the consist you have fourteen motors in the consist. Yeah they stink with the slip slide, and the 142A's motors drop out like flies even while you are operating sometimes they reset sometimes they dont.

As i said not saying you was wrong but had to claify something. :tup:

Looking under the train (and taught in schoolcar), each axle has a motor on the A cars. There are 4 motors on the A cars, and 2 on the #1 truck on the B cars (one each axle on the B cars). Funny thing is all the axles on the R62/A are motorized (I looked under), so that means those trains have 40 motors. R142/A's still whop the Bomb R62A's a$$. The Kawasaki R62 will give them a run for the money.........

There should be 28 motors on the R142s and R142As..............

Looking under the train (and taught in schoolcar), each axle has a motor on the A cars. There are 4 motors on the A cars, and 2 on the #1 truck on the B cars (one each axle on the B cars). Funny thing is all the axles on the R62/A are motorized (I looked under), so that means those trains have 40 motors. R142/A's still whop the Bomb R62A's a$$. The Kawasaki R62 will give them a run for the money.........

There should be 28 motors on the R142s and R142As..............

Yep that sounds right.

The R142/A's have more powerful motors (150 hp) so a ten car set has 4200 hp despite having trailer trucks. the R62/A's have 115 hp motors, giving a total of 4600 hp per 10 car set. As a result:

R142 has 166.0532688 pounds per hp ratio.

R142A has 166.6666667 pounds per hp ratio.

R62 has 162.5130435 pounds per hp ratio.

R62A has 164.1304348 pounds per hp ratio.

I would assume the higher acceleration rate is due to the AC traction system versus DC traction.

As a bonus here are images I took denoting the difference between motor and trailer trucks on the R142 and R142A's:

R142_Trucks.JPG

R142: Trailer truck is the one under the 1.

R142A_4_Train_Motor_Trailer_Truck_Comparison.JPG

R142A: trailer truck is the one under the 2.

My question would be why do the trailer trucks have what i call "axle caps" that cover the axle, so there isn't the white crescent...

My question is why is the trailer truck on the #1 end on that Bomb in the pick, when the trailer trucks are suppose to be on the number 2 ends, while all #1 ends are the motorized trucks??????? Only here can you see such discrepancies........

I would assume the higher acceleration rate is due to the AC traction system versus DC traction.

Funny you mention AC motors, I just had a lengthy discussion about them in Chilis about 6 hours ago. Anyone care to guess as to who the lecturer was? :)

My question would be why do the trailer trucks have what i call "axle caps" that cover the axle, so there isn't the white crescent...

Those house a detector where the wheel revolutions are counted to tell the train where it is (or where it thinks it is) along its route. Those also measure wheel revolutions to display the speed on the speedometer in the cab.

Those house a detector where the wheel revolutions are counted to tell the train where it is (or where it thinks it is) along its route. Those also measure wheel revolutions to display the speed on the speedometer in the cab.
Oh wow.I was wodering why they capped the bearings.They actually look better with the caps.

interesting. they probably have them mounted on a different location on the R143's and R160's then, since they don't have trailer trucks...

Archived