World's worst transit system!

The Detroit Department of Transportation (D-DOT) has been plagued with problems for decades! They have some of the last 250 RTS' to come off the assembly line, and some of the 2000, 2001, and 2002 models have already been scrapped! Their maintenance department is the worse! One driver even told me that they put a fan belt from a New look on an RTS because maintenance could not afford to buy the parts. I was on another bus one day and the driver side swiped a parked truck and kept going! I was floored! They just took delivery of 35 2010 New Flyer D40LF's! WAIT a minute! who still orders LF's and not LFR's???? Oh yeah and they couldn't afford to buy them so they are leased, and the D-DOT mechanics are not allowed to touch these buses at all. Only New Flyer personnel are allowed to service them. They are the most basic buses a TA could order! Very fast thought with that Cummins! Most of D-DOT's 2002 and 2003 New Flyers are trash already. Especially the Detroit Diesel powered ones. I will try to get a shot of an RTS in front of the Detroit Diesel Headquaters before I return to the NYC.

IMG00064-20100501-1059.jpg

IMG00062-20100501-1037.jpg

To see more videos of Detroit and Transit Windsor Ontario buses (in Downtown Detroit) go to YouTube.com/baul104

All videos courtesy of him.

I will have my own videos and some more shots soon!

I'll try to find out. I do know for a fact that all the cars are about as old as me. Its all electric too. I'll get a shot of an RTS in front of the GM HQ with the People Mover passing. Its a mad house right now because of Cinco!!! Buses are running an hour behind schedule. Traffic is a nightmare!

I'll try to find out. I do know for a fact that all the cars are about as old as me. Its all electric too. I'll get a shot of an RTS in front of the GM HQ with the People Mover passing. Its a mad house right now because of Cinco!!! Buses are running an hour behind schedule. Traffic is a nightmare!

Considering how Detroit is laid out, and with its network of expressways, there are bound to be some awful traffic.

Until they get their maintenance department together, they will never reach the potential they have of being one of the oldest and greatest TA's of all time. History will continue to repeat itself until something is done! How can a business run if it's workers can never get there on time, and sometimes not even at all!

Wow, that is just terrible. It's sad that a city that has been trying to get back on it's feet for quite some time now doesn't even have a transit system to start off on.

Some serious action needs to be done down there. The Federal Transit Administration needs to do something because that transit system in Detroit won't help itself.

Wow, that is just terrible. It's sad that a city that has been trying to get back on it's feet for quite some time now doesn't even have a transit system to start off on.

Some serious action needs to be done down there. The Federal Transit Administration needs to do something because that transit system in Detroit won't help itself.

Detroit is considering building a LRT line. Don't know how that will turn out.

I agree! The feds need to step in on this one!

Detroit is considering building a LRT line. Don't know how that will turn out.

Why waist the money when the roads down there were built for buses. All they need is to be restructured! MTA should donate some RTS' and send some people down there to rehab thoses RTS's and New Flyers they have trashed! Then take it over!

(MTA) Detroit City Bus!

Listen to these RTS'. The engine sounds great, but they let the rest of the bus fall apart or go through 10 accidents and get put into revenue servive the next day! The last one sounds like an air hose or something is just completely disconnected.

This is one of the 2010 D40LF's they just got last month. As long as Detroit keeps their hand off, they should last longer than the early 2000 models.

Downtown Bonus with a Transit Windsor Orion VII Diesel. The only Orions to ever run in service on the streets of The D.

I agree 100%

God damn, I love their RTSs but they look like total crap, their ZF transmissions are screwing up more worse than ours! I wonder wtf they have been doing to those buses, they should've send them over here!

Those D40LFs, I've heard that those buses have suspension problems and when the buses kneel, it gets stuck on one end.

I agree 100%

God damn, I love their RTSs but they look like total crap, their ZF transmissions are screwing up more worse than ours! I wonder wtf they have been doing to those buses, they should've send them over here!

Those D40LFs, I've heard that those buses have suspension problems and when the buses kneel, it gets stuck on one end.

They do! The 2000-2003 New Flyers with the Detroit Diesels are slow! The bus I was on was first at the stop light, and when it turned green, the driver pressed the gas, and by the time we got across this intersection which only has 5 lanes, the light was already turning yellow! 0-40 in 1.9 minutes!

This 2002 Nova RTS is jacked on the outside, but the ZF/Detroit Diesel in this baby sounds flawless!

They do! The 2000-2003 New Flyers with the Detroit Diesels are slow! The bus I was on was first at the stop light, and when it turned green, the driver pressed the gas, and by the time we got across this intersection which only has 5 lanes, the light was already turning yellow! 0-40 in 1.9 minutes!

That's fail right there

This 2002 Nova RTS is jacked on the outside, but the ZF/Detroit Diesel in this baby sounds flawless!

I think it would depend on which D40LF it is, their D40LFs with Detroit Diesel S50 EGR ( the one that sounds like our 5600-5700 series artics) have slow pickup. The ones mated with the Cummins package, those are decent.

You're brave to fan D-DOT. One of the last places i would consider visiting...especially on the weekend as IIRC slashed half their Sunday service

It's not that bad, authough the driver of a bus I was on last week did pull over because someone lit a blunt on the bus!!! I was in the hood!!

wow those D40LF ( 2010 ) are so basic looking lol they didnt even get a rear Destination sign

Any option available, is not on their buses!

Reminds me of TCC (TriBoro Coach Corp). Buses sounding great, but with mismatched panels, looking raggedy, and doing the TriBoro lean to the side.........

Exactly! And dont forget about some of those old Green Lines coaches!

It's not that bad, authough the driver of a bus I was on last week did pull over because someone lit a blunt on the bus!!! I was in the hood!!

Any option available, is not on their buses!

Exactly! And dont forget about some of those old Green Lines coaches!

Ha I remember that happened on the Q44, twice but the B/O pulled over only once.

And yes Green Lines came to my mind when I saw these pics (minus the NF's). Black smoke all in your face.

Archived