Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

PATH Lines You've Tried

More trains and tracks? Sor apparently, you are redirecting people onto the tracks? Uh-ya-yuy, the third rail just made a record, it electrocuted more than 6,000 people in day one and I don't have to demostrate, it is already going thru and is getting built and is in the plan. Also, if you hate it so much, you demostrate yourself, it'll be useless and you'll be called an anti-dove!

You say this building would be 'useful' when more riders are using in the future. My point is what good is this station if there is the same amount of trains to platforms. God, I've never seen anyone so obssessed about being in favor of such a massive waste of money. Stop living in your damn fantasy and wake up to reality. Both states are broke and should not be wasting money on stupid projects like that.

Green energy is expensive and the savings is over time, if it ever recovers the costs. Still doesn't justify it.

But you have buildings that have right now little demand and you want to waste space in those towers to have a shopping center in the station? What sense does that make?

It's a f'ing station, if people wants to shop around, they can do that in the basement of the towers, not the station.

Right now there is just a hole in the ground, they haven't built anything on top yet. There is still time to scrap the project and build a simple entranceway to the PATH station.

Green energy is expensive and the savings is over time, if it ever recovers the costs. Still doesn't justify it.

But you have buildings that have right now little demand and you want to waste space in those towers to have a shopping center in the station? What sense does that make?

It's a f'ing station, if people wants to shop around, they can do that in the basement of the towers, not the station.

Right now there is just a hole in the ground, they haven't built anything on top yet. There is still time to scrap the project and build a simple entranceway to the PATH station.

Unfortunately no, they are working on the substructure for the thing now. Currently they are putting the giant columns for support. But even so, I really dislike the idea of the Calatrava station. IIRC, there was this feature where the roof would retract on 9/11 or something. And that feature means a lot of money (maintenance, etc...)

Really appealing too. They could have disassembled the thing and placed the parts somewhere. After the east bathtub excavation, they could have reassembled everything.

And back to the green thing... while it is nice for the environment to go green, there are flaws evident in Mr Wang's argument.

-Many new structures (whether skyscrapers or airport terminals) have high green standards, however there is a range of cost of construction. So the point I'm trying to surface is that, Calatrava's station is not the only green alternative we could have thought of. There are other cheaper, aesthetically appealing and useful alternatives to Calatrava's work.

-I don't find it imperative to build such a project as part of a "green movement". To be honest, since so much land is being used, even the green folks would stir. If you want green, simplify everything and in the space remaining, put more trees around. Now that's green.

On American pride, I do not see how this would evoke any sense of patrioticism. All visitors would just see is a "bird" and that's it. Beautifying, but I don't see anything written in that makes it "uniquely American". I don't want to bash Megabus on this, but I'm certain that hardcore patriots would want something designed by an American, and not a foreigner. I don't think like them though, but I'm trying to raise a point here.

A final thing is that excluding the number of tourists/non-commuting passerby that venture by the station, it's aesthetic beauty will be largely ignored. For the first three months, it will evoke attention from the masses, as will its construction phase. Commuters would just zip through, go about their business and generally ignore the station's aesthetics. They will praise it for say, efficiency. But even so, after a while, they are programmed to know where to go. Take the South Ferry station for example. When it was in its late stages of construction, people were anticipating for its opening. When it opened, it made a lot of noise and many praised it as a work-of-art. Yet, it only caught on the headlines during that week. After a while, people just went back to their business. Commuters will be the only ones using this station. And these are the same folks who use it on a routinely basis. Visitors would rarely venture down under the Hudson Tubes unless they know what is going on. There's a difference between a regular commuting station and an airport. Airports are designed differently because the people who visit them are occassional travellers. Thus the city and other governments would try to get more funds to beautify the airports to give a lasting "first impression". The PATH hub, like the FSTC and the South Ferry station, was, is and will be, a commuter station. Thus, no matter how much work and art is placed in its construction, all will be ignored for people are too busy to "truly admire" such work.

Lastly, we're not arguing for it being stalled as it is being constructed. We are simply critiquing on its potential usefulness and effectivity to serve the Lower Manhattan region.

Archived