500 S/A Lay off's Have Been Cancelled For The Time Being!!!

Will-Bx-718

Exactly this move caught the MTA totally off guard....

supposedly the mta has struck back..........the court date isnt until wednesday.....meanwhile, 264 clerks got notices to turn in their stuff on tuesday................

Yes apparently some of the booths are not required to be kept open. This means 264 clerks will be let go on tuesday. The rest of the booths have to stay open until the mta does what they need to do to lay off the rest of the clerks. remember its still based on seniority so the less senior clerks will go first .

I'm pretty sure that the workers who were about to get laid off appreciate that tactic.

What did you want them to do, talk about their plans and strategies out loud so that the MTA could better plan their counterattack in front of the judge? Sometimes it's better to play your cards close to the vest.

i agree in one sense, but the union has had knowledge of this going to occur months ago........in fact, the union set the controversial Station Customer Assistant Program in motion years ago, despite knowing of the potential drawbacks........the stations department always gets the short end of the stick, no matter what happens...........

but as i wrote earlier, supposedly the ta has struck back, and 264 clerks got their notices delivered to their work areas that they have to turn in their tools/belongings on tuesday.............

no matter what happensa in the end though, ta is really beyond cruel and aboslutely has no regard for people as humans.........they just couldnt wait to rid of 264 people......unreal........

i hope those clerks go to that courthouse wednesday and speak their minds to that pendergrast character thats going to be there(walder will be a no show;what a surprise)

Yes apparently some of the booths are not required to be kept open. This means 264 clerks will be let go on tuesday. The rest of the booths have to stay open until the mta does what they need to do to lay off the rest of the clerks. remember its still based on seniority so the less senior clerks will go first .

Yeah I received a letter in the mail yesterday from them talking about the (TRO) temporary restraining order. Apparently i wont be included in that 264 number that has to turn in their stuff tuesday. It tells me that my scheduled lay off for may 7th, 2010 has been postponed. So basically I'am going to have a slower death then I thought I would. I will upload a scan of the letter in a couple of minutes to an hour.

Yeah I received a letter in the mail yesterday from them talking about the (TRO) temporary restraining order. Apparently i wont be included in that 264 number that has to turn in their stuff tuesday. It tells me that my scheduled lay off for may 7th, 2010 has been postponed. So basically I'am going to have a slower death then I thought I would. I will upload a scan of the letter in a couple of minutes to an hour.

willieb, you going to the courthouse wednesday? im gonna make a trip there......i was trying to get my friend to go, but he has to work, so i told him i'll keep him posted on the details.......

willieb, you going to the courthouse wednesday? im gonna make a trip there......i was trying to get my friend to go, but he has to work, so i told him i'll keep him posted on the details.......

Sure Thing!! Wednesday is my RDO so I will be there in solidarity, and here is a scan of the letter as promised.

scan0006.jpg

They are not getting fired. They are getting laid off. They can be hired back at some point. They have up to 4 years to be called back for that title or a title on the same line.

Laid off, fired. It's the same difference since they don't plan on hiring new people to that title anymore. And even if they do hire any of us back we will still be at the bottom of the list. So whenever they decide to cut more s/a jobs in the future we will be the first to go. Me personally I'am not holding my breath for 4 years for them to call me back. If I'am not working a job that pays better than do at the time maybe I will go back to them maybe I won't.

Is it true they want to cut 300 S/A's next year??. Thats what I read somewhere.

Yep!! it sure is. So like I said before I won't be holding my breath waiting on a reinstatement letter from them. I'm sorry you spent your money on an exam for s/a in hopes of being hired some day to the position . It's really messed up they took your money along with thousands of other hopefuls when they knew they had intentions of hiring anyone who took the exam back in 08. They have not even graded the test yet and never will. So right now they want to cut the amount of s/a jobs down to 2500 and then 2200 as they continue to close more booths to the point that there is only 1 booth per station. Right now in busy locations there will be 1 main booth and the rest will be only part time. All with late morning hours til the evening hours (1030am-730pm and 1130am-730pm). And all station customer assist booths will be closed with the exception of the wall street station on the irt 4 and 5 trains and caroll street in brooklyn. And also all north bound booths on all irt lines in manhattan and the bronx will be closed. So from 42nd G.C. there will be no north bound booth any more and same thing on broadway from north of times sq. and south of penn station on the south bound plats.

I know it sucks but what can you do . I recently got hired for a city job so I am excited about that. I wonder whats going to happen after they get down to 2200 and they lose due to attition . Will they replace those people to maintain an even staffing level of 2200? If they do then you can be called back to fill those slots that are open.

Yep!! it sure is. So like I said before I won't be holding my breath waiting on a reinstatement letter from them. I'm sorry you spent your money on an exam for s/a in hopes of being hired some day to the position . It's really messed up they took your money along with thousands of other hopefuls when they knew they had intentions of hiring anyone who took the exam back in 08. They have not even graded the test yet and never will. So right now they want to cut the amount of s/a jobs down to 2500 and then 2200 as they continue to close more booths to the point that there is only 1 booth per station. Right now in busy locations there will be 1 main booth and the rest will be only part time. All with late morning hours til the evening hours (1030am-730pm and 1130am-730pm). And all station customer assist booths will be closed with the exception of the wall street station on the irt 4 and 5 trains and caroll street in brooklyn. And also all north bound booths on all irt lines in manhattan and the bronx will be closed. So from 42nd G.C. there will be no north bound booth any more and same thing on broadway from north of times sq. and south of penn station on the south bound plats.

SO DID THEY offer you guys a cleaner pos????

I know it sucks but what can you do . I recently got hired for a city job so I am excited about that. I wonder whats going to happen after they get down to 2200 and they lose due to attition . Will they replace those people to maintain an even staffing level of 2200? If they do then you can be called back to fill those slots that are open.

Well that's great to hear primo, what did you get hired for if you don't mind me asking?.

SO DID THEY offer you guys a cleaner pos????

To my knowledge no!. Maybe people who had previous service from other titles or military service credit may have been offered it. But I have yet to meet a single person that told me they had been offered a reclassification notice.

To my knowledge no!. Maybe people who had previous service from other titles or military service credit may have been offered it. But I have yet to meet a single person that told me they had been offered a reclassification notice.

yo will, what type of work are you going to be looking for now?

yo will, what type of work are you going to be looking for now?

Well for now I don't plan and looking for any work for at least 6 months. I'am registering for school in the fall, and plan on living on unemployment and savings for that time period or a while longer. There ain't many jobs out there, especially ones that will pay me what I was getting payed.

Well for now I don't plan and looking for any work for at least 6 months. I'am registering for school in the fall, and plan on living on unemployment and savings for that time period or a while longer. There ain't many jobs out there, especially ones that will pay me what I was getting payed.

Going for your Masters, or Bachelors?

i know the swipers will have a field day......im sure al queda is salvating at this prospect..........all of this leaves the system so vunerable.......im just amazed an attack as not occured down here..........you have hardly anyone down ere, and you are going to conitue down this road? smh.......

Bachelors in either Information Technology, Industrial Electronics Technology or Networking. I haven't really decided as of yet.

I'm studying something similar to information technology.

Anyways good luck, you'll have a great career in the long run.

Archived