59th Street Colombus Circle Cunstruction

Can anyone please explain this to me what in the world they are working on at the 59th Street Colombus Circle station Center platform? They are working there for years, and who need that platform? the uptown (D)&(A) use the other side and the down town the other side? when would that be used? would that put more trains on the same track and have people wait for those other trains on the other side?

Did you also relise they finanly took some boards off upstairs when you come up to the escalators the place finaly looks half normal and they moved the turnsteils around.

At the uptown (1) at 59th street they finaly took all the boards off as well so the place looks a little better but theyt didn't finish the walls yet. Anyone else observe all this stuff?

So is that why they now put the boards up on the active down town plaform to remove the stairs? That will make it harder for me to tansfer from the down town (1) to the down town (D) wont it? Now I just run to the stairs in middle of the D platform from the (1) platform.

Can you post up some photos of the boards, because I'm rather confused.

By the by, the platform is supposed to act as a crossunder. Currently, passengers must go upstairs to the mezzanine (on each side), then go through one of the two IND platforms to reach the other side. While the centre platform that they are restoring is not that direct, it is much simpler because they don't have to build a new crossunder (that would mess things up) and because it could redirect the folks through a (anticipatedly) less crowded corridor for transferring.

So would the (A) and (D) have both doors open at 59? Because that would be something to see

No they won't. I believe they are adding a steel fence (from what it looks like) on both sides of the platform.

Hopefully, there won't be as many rats on that platform when this is done.

No they won't. I believe they are adding a steel fence (from what it looks like) on both sides of the platform.

Hopefully, there won't be as many rats on that platform when this is done.

Yes, the passageway is surrounded by a barricade, so users cannot go near the platform edge. Doors will not open on the other side. By the by, only the section between the two stairs will be opened to public. The rest will be sealed off.

So would the (A) and (D) have both doors open at 59? Because that would be something to see

no. it makes transfers between (1) more direct. the (A)(D)are still accessible from the(1). the crossunder just makes it easier to get from uptown to downtown (1). for example if you entered at 59st on the downtown side and want to go uptown you use the crossunder instead of wandering to the ind and trying to figure out the signs which can be confusing.

Archived