Overnight Amtrak trip

TheKorean

Anyone take Amtrak for long distance trip before? I am planning to head off to Chicago, and wanted to take Amtrak, because the plane sucks. Plus $86 for a coach seems pretty attractive option for me.

I wanted to get myself a sleeper but I am going solo.

So, how is the long distance experience?

There are 4 ways to get to Chicago from NYP by Amtrak:

(1) NYP-CHI direct via Lake Shore Limited

(2) NYP-WAS-CHI via Regional and Capitol Limited

(3) NYP-PGH-CHI via Pennsylvanian and Capitol Limited

(4) NYP-CHI direct via Cardinal, which runs via Cincinnati and WV.

WAS-Washington, DC

PGH-Pittsburgh, PA

Good and bad:

(1) Good: Fastest, most convenient route, pretty scenic along the Hudson

Bad: Can be expensive, sells out fast, equipment is not as great as (2), layover in Albany

(2) Good: Best equipment (Superliner cars), plenty of sleeper space so prices aren't as high

Bad: Need to transfer in Washington to/from a Regional, which can be SRO during peak times (holiday season)

(3) Good: Same as (2), shortest route in terms of distance

Bad: Long coach ride in Pennsylvanian, late night transfer in Pittsburgh, usually same price as (2)

(4) Good: Very scenic, very LONG ride

Bad: Only one sleeper car means VERY high sleeper prices, no checked baggage, food inferior to the all the other options.

Note if you check baggage on any option, it will go via the Lake Shore Limited, so if it's delayed, you'll have to wait for your bags.

I've gone from Orlando to New York overnight. I thought it was pretty good. NYC to Chicago, I don't know.

Silver Star and Silver Meteor use the same equipment as the Lake Shore Limited.

^Ugh, I am scared of significant heights. I prefer to avoid planes.

Besides, I want to take this opportunity to take Amtrak there. Times no problem. If I was short on time I would definitely take the plane.

Besides, I want to take this opportunity to take Amtrak there. Times no problem. If I was short on time I would definitely take the plane.

Slightly off-topic.

I am still afraid of heights also, but I have faced my fear and used tallest Smith-9th Sts, Roosevelt Island Tramway, or Big Shot ride. I have even faced my fear on plane ride when I came here, well as my domestic flight bet. LGA and CLE.

For me, I just wish there would be a MegaBus service from NYC to Chicago via a Possible Transfer at Pittsburgh or Cleveland, I am also afraid of hieghts like especially at Bronx Stations, Smith 9th not so quite, but for planes, it is plane food + danger, :P.

Thats whats Greyhound for....

I took the Cardinal from NYPenn to Cincinnati last December.

It's a very long journey, and I was exhausted after it even though I was able to sleep a lot. The regular coach seat became uncomfortable after sitting for so many hours.

I can't imagine taking it on further to Chicago. I'd rather drive myself, or just pony up to fly.

• 4 weeks later...
^Thats not really an overnight trip though...since it takes approximately 6 to 12 hours, I think to Toronto. But sounds fun anyways. :P

I know, and it operates during the day, but I'm quite excited to use a route other than the NE Corridor. I packed in an Acela first class in that trip as well! Can't wait. :tup:

I feel the same way, strange thing is that I can walk over a bridge(Queensboro,Brooklyn,etc)with no problem yet if I step out on a balcony of a high rise(12th floor)I can't handle it,I start feeling light headed.:eek:

• 5 weeks later...
Leaving to California on Wedenesday.

To Chicago, then take Southwest Chief to Los Angeles, and then take Amtrak California to San Diego. Should be fun.

To Chicago via what?

The Southwest Chief is a route that will hopefully lead you to take another overnight trip soon, it usually runs ontime or even early. The Pacific Surfliner is unreserved. Some trips may be crowded, since you're arriving at 8:15AM. There have been cases of it being SRO!

Archived