Two teens accused of plotting "Columbine" in Suffolk HS

MTR Admiralty

Teens accused of plotting high school attack - WABC

BOHEMIA (WABC) -- Suffolk County Police have arrested two teenagers for conspiring to kill staff and students at Connetquot High School.

Investigators seized a cell phone and computer belonging to Dana Saltzman, and determined that she and Christopher Franko were planning the attack at the high school in Bohemia. Computer forensics revealed numerous searches had been made of websites for explosives and bomb making, police said. Cell phone text messages in which the two discussed their plans to buy guns and kill people were discovered, according to investigators.

Franko is a former student of Connetquot High School and a graduate of the Eastern Suffolk BOCES Bellport Academic Center where he met Saltzman, where she is currently a student.

Franko, 17, of Bohemia was arrested on May 6. Saltzman, 16, of Commack was arrested on April 30. They are charged with Conspiracy 5th Degree. Saltzman and Franko have been arraigned on conspiracy charges.

Franko was remanded to jail where he will remain until his next court date on June 8, 2010. Saltzman was released on her own recognizance.

From http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7429746

I know. We got messed up folks in this world.

I mean, it's not the first time someone wanted to do a Columbine-esque attack but it's starting to get annoying!

Some people are just natural social outcasts. There's no need for bullying to incite a massacre. People are just f*cked up in their heads.

That's not (100%) true. Some people get picked on so much that they want to retaliate against the bullies. The Columbine kids were picked on by the football team. The Virginia Tech psycho had a speech problem and may have been autistic.

That's not (100%) true. Some people get picked on so much that they want to retaliate against the bullies. The Columbine kids were picked on by the football team. The Virginia Tech psycho had a speech problem and may have been autistic.

I read about Cho and yeah, that guy basically forced himself not to speak and was teased for his behaviour.

listening to News10 (don't ask why I watch that, I just do), I don't get the sense that bullying could've been a reason for the conspiring of mass murders by those two kids...

"Boring suburban lifestyle", is what I think this comes down to....

listening to News10 (don't ask why I watch that, I just do), I don't get the sense that bullying could've been a reason for the conspiring of mass murders by those two kids...

"Boring suburban lifestyle", is what I think this comes down to....

Like I said, there are just some wackos who are f*cked up in the head. I mean, everyone on this forum has been bullied before, at some point right? Not necessarily on this board, but like in school or in life in general. Have we resort to mass violence just because we got bullied? I don't think so. We might think of beating up our perpetrators, but never do we think about purchasing a gun and then shoot up a school.

B35, you're usually right about social issues but I think you're wrong this time. Based on my personal experience of being the 120 pound weakling who used to get bullied (before I started lifting weights), there were many times that I wanted to go after the people who used to tease and harrass me. Once, I even carried a knife after a bunch of neighborhood thugs teased me. Even on the internet, I wanted to maim and bludgeon Brian Weinberg after all of the vicious and malicious remarks he made. I'm not condoning Columbine or Virginia Tech, but I can definitely empathize with the perpetrators.

Like I said, there are just some wackos who are f*cked up in the head. I mean, everyone on this forum has been bullied before, at some point right? Not necessarily on this board, but like in school or in life in general. Have we resort to mass violence just because we got bullied? I don't think so. We might think of beating up our perpetrators, but never do we think about purchasing a gun and then shoot up a school.

There are some kids who fantasize about being the next "columbine kid"....

There are some kids that just "snap" after being picked on/bullied after a certain period of time....

^ If you consider kids in either those two scenarios to be wackos or w/e, then so be it... there are many other adjectives they can be called, believe me.

I mean, I get what you're saying... but OTOH, someone thinking about plotting out a mass murder, and someone going the next step in actually carrying out a mass murder... there's not much difference...

So my question to you is, if the person that carries out mass murders are wacko's, then what do you deem the person that THINKS about doing it?

please don't tell me anything remotely close to being a sane, illogical person "at that moment"....

because that stance would be hypocritical.

B35, you're usually right about social issues but I think you're wrong this time. Based on my personal experience of being the 120 pound weakling who used to get bullied (before I started lifting weights), there were many times that I wanted to go after the people who used to tease and harrass me. Once, I even carried a knife after a bunch of neighborhood thugs teased me. Even on the internet, I wanted to maim and bludgeon Brian Weinberg after all of the vicious and malicious remarks he made. I'm not condoning Columbine or Virginia Tech, but I can definitely empathize with the perpetrators.

We all wanted to maim our enemies and perpetrators, like I said before. However, you wanting to maim Weinberg does not mean you want to kill everyone on Subchat right? Just saying.

Sure, I could be wrong, but I doubt it in this case (solely judging on the brief story that was on News10 about it)....

I mean, no one knows for sure, unless you're around, or in that atmosphere surrounding that high school out in Bohemia....

On the same side of the coin, every retaliatory (especially multiple) homicidal attack that's ever happened in a school, doesn't always chalk down to a victim of a bully....

I'm not one to bite the bullet (pun unintended), so I'ma say it bro.... it seems to me b/c you've been bullied, your viewpoints are somewhat skewed... It's almost like your comparing, or even intertwining in your mind, your unfortunate situation... to anyone else's situation (especially in a school setting) where the culprit could be a victim of bullying.... Doesn't mean it always... Is.

I'm not saying I'm 100% (right)...

What I am saying is, you're not anymore correct here, regarding these LI kids, either....

* and btw, for the life of me, don't misconstrue what I said here, to me saying that bullying doesn't, or barely happen in schools...

Archived