More Cuts!

LexAveExp5

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7428159

Eyewitness News

NEW YORK (WABC) -- This latest round of belt-tightening will mean shorter trains at the Long Island Railroad.

Some will be cut from 12 cars down to 10.

"I think it's totally disastrous. I think it's a mistake. I think they should be increasing the number of cars not decreasing," commuter Al Cornachio said.

Related Content

Story: Court injunction puts MTA layoffs on hold

More: Eyewitness News on iPhone!

More: Get Eyewitness News delivered to you!

Over at Metro North, the cuts mean more windows shut down and fewer customer assistants at Grand Central Terminal.

"I think all this cutting, cutting, cutting is not a good. It's just not a good idea," commuter Patricia Sealy said

The subways will get hit as well:

A reduction in the amount of scratchiti clean-up on train windows

Fewer janitors picking up trash

A cut in the number of announcements

Additionally, the MTA is laying off station agents in both the subways and on the LIRR. These agents help riders with fares and information and are acknowledged to be a stations' eyes and ears, the folks who can "See something, Say something."

MTA officials called the latest budget move bad, but not horrible.

"I think the reality of our situation is that you have to look at everything in the budget and say what is just nice to have and what is a must have," Jeremy Soffin of MTA said

Some commuters even agreed with the MTA, calling the cuts "reasonable."

"It's New York City and there are a lot of cuts that need to be taken to keep everything moving and it's something people will just have to adjust to," Fred Lott, a Metro North commuter, said.

Despite everything, the budget is still not balanced so expect either more slicing or a bigger-than-planned fare hike.

"They just keep raising the fare, it keeps going up and it just doesn't stop. The MTA needs to find a medium ground and stop this," rider Kevin Wickers said.

(Copyright ©2010 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

THEY NEED TO STOP SPENDING MONEY ON NEW SHIT (buses and subway cars)

I don't get it, all they want to do is cut cut cut, Im starting to think that those higer ups are just taking a Big f^&*ing chunk of the money we give them while the people suffur.

I don't get it, all they want to do is cut cut cut, Im starting to think that those higer ups are just taking a Big f^&*ing chunk of the money we give them while the people suffur.

Chris, you really need to watch your spelling, it's suffer, not suffur. I thought you were saying sulfuric. Oops my bad. I don't like the new trains and buses as much as I first saw them.

as much as we hate to admit it, the new subway cars are supposed to save money by eliminating conductors. but are the new buses really saving THAT much on fuel?

The hybrids cost more to maintain.

The R160 programs should be changed on the fly but they break down every so often. I wish the sides of the R160 were straight like the R142/As. Waste of money by the fact that the R160s are less roomier than the old R32/38-40-42 cars. Who agrees? The service cuts translates into adding a new program for the (M). I wish it was a (V) instead.

Thank Albany for Squeezing all the life out of the MTA with increased cuts to their subsidies. They are bleeding the MTA and public dry. I bet they are not cutting their personal slush funds are as they say discretionary funds in Albany.

The R160 programs should be changed on the fly but they break down every so often. I wish the sides of the R160 were straight like the R142/As. Waste of money by the fact that the R160s are less roomier than the old R32/38-40-42 cars. Who agrees? The service cuts translates into adding a new program for the (M). I wish it was a (V) instead.

Speaking of which, yesterday I was on a (F) train at B'way Laff. It was crowded as scheisse, and the LED and FINDs read that the next stop was York. So some strappies were panicking.

Thank Albany for Squeezing all the life out of the MTA with increased cuts to their subsidies. They are bleeding the MTA and public dry. I bet they are not cutting their personal slush funds are as they say discretionary funds in Albany.

The lame duck Paterson and mayor Bloomb*tch ruined the city as we know it, don't forget to thank them too ;-)

Speaking of which, yesterday I was on a (F) train at B'way Laff. It was crowded as scheisse, and the LED and FINDs read that the next stop was York. So some strappies were panicking.

Jamaica yard are treating the trains like pure Crap, 9717 stops like a Phase II R32, It screcches so damn loud, Jamaica is not taking good care of their R160's, so when the waranty is finished, I feel bad for people who take those R160's on the (E),(F) and (R), Because they are not going to survive Jamaica's abuse.

Jamaica yard are treating the trains like pure Crap, 9717 stops like a Phase II R32, It screcches so damn loud, Jamaica is not taking good care of their R160's, so when the waranty is finished, I feel bad for people who take those R160's on the (E),(F) and (R), Because they are not going to survive Jamaica's abuse.

What about the T/Os working on those lines? I wonder where they'll end up in this mess.

Most of the blame should go to Albany,they cut funds and the (MTA) has no choice but to cut to balance their budget.

I'm sure the MTA doesn't want to cut,but they no choice.

In terms of buying new subway cars and buses,they have to.

And guys this nightmare of (MTA) systemwide cuts and fare hikes. Again this is according to my Brother who works for MTA Metro North as Asst Manager but is among the first to know what the execes from the MTA Chairman's office is seriously planning. Again, just rumors for now but barring increased funding these 'doomsday II Cuts' possibly could occur in the next year or so, from my brother's sources. Guys i only list 'rumors' is if it's under serious thought and please don't take it as fact yet but it could happen as i hear (MTA) bosses are strongly considering these next service cuts..

(NYCT)Subway/Bus and (MTA) Bus on the list in a possible Doomsday II Cuts.

1)Raising the basic subway/bus fare in NYC to as high as $2.75. Monthly metrocards going up to as high as $110-120.

2)Overnight subway service citywide daily between 1230am-5am(extended to 7am Sundays)opearting every 30-40 minutes.

3)The end of weekend (C) service with the (A) running local all times between 207th St and Far Rockaway/Lefferts on weekends and late evenings between 11pm-6am.

4)More severe cuts on the buses including possibly ending overnight service on most NYC/MTA Buses citywide. Only 'vital' routes such as NYCT routes M15, M86, M101, BX12, B41, B46, Q44, and (MTA) Bus routes such as the Q11, Q33, and Q111 would run in a possible Doomsday II cuts.

Metro North

The last trains for the '3' MNRR main branches ie Hudson, Harlem and New Haven lines departing GCT would be at 1am Monday-Saturday nights(Tuesday-Saturday mornings) and Midnight on Sundays instead of currently at around 145am 7 days a week.

Also the end of "shopper specials' on the New Haven and Harlem line during the Christmas Holiday season.

LIRR

The end of limited overnight service during hours between 2am-5am between Penn Station and LI mainly the Main Line and Babolyn branches.

Hourly service even during rush hours on routes such as Hempstead-Brooklyn Far Rockaway-Brooklyn and Long Beach-Penn Station.

Again not trying to scare you guys but to be on lookout if and when Doomsday Service Cuts occurs.

And guys this nightmare of (MTA) systemwide cuts and fare hikes. Again this is according to my Brother who works for MTA Metro North as Asst Manager but is among the first to know what the execes from the MTA Chairman's office is seriously planning. Again, just rumors for now but barring increased funding these 'doomsday II Cuts' possibly could occur in the next year or so, from my brother's sources. Guys i only list 'rumors' is if it's under serious thought and please don't take it as fact yet but it could happen as i hear (MTA) bosses are strongly considering these next service cuts..

(NYCT)Subway/Bus and (MTA) Bus on the list in a possible Doomsday II Cuts.

1)Raising the basic subway/bus fare in NYC to as high as $2.75. Monthly metrocards going up to as high as $110-120.

2)Overnight subway service citywide daily between 1230am-5am(extended to 7am Sundays)opearting every 30-40 minutes.

3)The end of weekend (C) service with the (A) running local all times between 207th St and Far Rockaway/Lefferts on weekends and late evenings between 11pm-6am.

4)More severe cuts on the buses including possibly ending overnight service on most NYC/MTA Buses citywide. Only 'vital' routes such as NYCT routes M15, M86, M101, BX12, B41, B46, Q44, and (MTA) Bus routes such as the Q11, Q33, and Q111 would run in a possible Doomsday II cuts.

Metro North

The last trains for the '3' MNRR main branches ie Hudson, Harlem and New Haven lines departing GCT would be at 1am Monday-Saturday nights(Tuesday-Saturday mornings) and Midnight on Sundays instead of currently at around 145am 7 days a week.

Also the end of "shopper specials' on the New Haven and Harlem line during the Christmas Holiday season.

LIRR

The end of limited overnight service during hours between 2am-5am between Penn Station and LI mainly the Main Line and Babolyn branches.

Hourly service even during rush hours on routes such as Hempstead-Brooklyn Far Rockaway-Brooklyn and Long Beach-Penn Station.

Again not trying to scare you guys but to be on lookout if and when Doomsday Service Cuts occurs.

So instead of "crew room rumors" you just said "board room rumors" just the same no different. Why should anybody be scared? Is this what you want?

So instead of "crew room rumors" you just said "board room rumors" just the same no different. Why should anybody be scared? Is this what you want?

RTOMan this is the same for lack of better example, as the rumors that occur with "hot stove baseball" during MLB's off season in what might happen possible free agent signings/trades for the next season. What i listed above may or may not happen but giving the 'heads up' or be on the look out on what the (MTA) may propose if we get to possible "doomsday II' service cuts. This is the rumors from my brother and his sources tell me what Jay Walder and his crew may do next possibly.

I hope like 99.9% of the NYCTF members it does not happen but just hearing what possible and of course I dont want to scare anyone lol.

Is these rumors also is what you hearing also RTOman in the 'crew room' in terms what might be the cuts systemwide in possible doomsday II cuts?

RTOMan this is the same for lack of better example, as the rumors that occur with "hot stove baseball" during MLB's off season in what might happen possible free agent signings/trades for the next season. What i listed above may or may not happen but giving the 'heads up' or be on the look out on what the (MTA) may propose if we get to possible "doomsday II' service cuts. This is the rumors from my brother and his sources tell me what Jay Walder and his crew may do next possibly.

I hope like 99.9% of the NYCTF members it does not happen but just hearing what possible and of course I dont want to scare anyone lol.

Is these rumors also is what you hearing also RTOman in the 'crew room' in terms what might be the cuts systemwide in possible doomsday II cuts?

Let me put it to you this way...

Down here what people say and what they do are two different things.

Unless its in black and white rumors go in one ear and out the other..

Tell your brother i said that, thanks.

Lets see nothing can get better in the city spending/borrowing=debt.

The new trains/buses are funded by the goverment, and out of the capital budget "not operating budget".

Unfortunetly we as ny'ers have no choice but to deal with it ,either take mass transit or take private transportation simple as that.

Archived