The New York accent

MTR Admiralty

I dawnt hev a sauthern accn't :P

And dem southerners speak realllllllllllllllllllllly sloowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly.

Other woids written in the NY accent eye language:

Hoid

Woid

Moida

Words popularised in the NY area exclusively:

Bodega

Sub (what people from Philly would call a hoagie)

And others more...

Well, you don't but, like wut ZMan said, you are cool in North Philly :P...

I live in Northeast philly. Where we say woite (white) roight (right) etc. North Philly accent is just ghetto. Instead of saying hey you, its ey YO!

My Cousin Vinny was f**kin' hilarious. Another good scene highlighting Pescis' accent was the one where he mentions the "utes" to Judge Haller...lo and behold he was really trying to say youths.

My Cousin Vinny was f**kin' hilarious. Another good scene highlighting Pescis' accent was the one where he mentions the "utes" to Judge Haller...lo and behold he was really trying to say youths.

I don't think we pronounce "youths" as "ootes" even with the NY accent. That's really new to me, IMO.

I don't think we pronounce "youths" as "ootes" even with the NY accent. That's really new to me, IMO.

The "Brooklyn Dialect" had faded (with word varieties) for the past 2 decades and that was considered the NY Accent for almost everyone. The "Brooklyn Dialect," as viewed by native New Yorkers can be split into 2 subdialects; Italian and Jewish. The Jewish dialect has the tendency to elongate all the vows much more extreme than the Italian dialect as the people probably based it off pronouncing Hebrew and Yiddish.

The "Brooklyn Dialect" had faded (with word varieties) for the past 2 decades and that was considered the NY Accent for almost everyone. The "Brooklyn Dialect," as viewed by native New Yorkers can be split into 2 subdialects; Italian and Jewish. The Jewish dialect has the tendency to elongate all the vows much more extreme than the Italian dialect as the people probably based it off pronouncing Hebrew and Yiddish.

I think the fronting of the "aw" sound, as in law, cross etc... is an Italian feature. The reason for this is that Italian, compared to other Romance languages, tend to dipthongised its vowels.

Compare bono (Lat., variant of bonus) and buono (It.)

What accent is it when people say "chrain" instead of "train"?

I think that feature had affected most English dialects (not just NY). I think that the r had a palatal effect on the t and d (alveolar plosives) during the development of the English language. They probably became palatal plosives which then became postalveolar affricatives. This theory is supported by the fact that the palative plosives sound similar to the postalveolar affricatives. Hence the t and d are known pronounced as affricatives (tch and dj) rather than plosives before an r, except in consonant clusters.

What I really am wondering is, that why street is pronounced shtreet in some folks' speech.

What I really am wondering is, that why street is pronounced shtreet in some folks' speech.

Oh! Ya mean "stweet" - as in "Bleecka Stweet" or "West Fawth Stweet"? It's kinda like "avenoo".

"Take da (2) train - it's da fastest way to da block!" "Which block ya fwom, mac?"

People have told me I have an accent. I never realized it until I went to college and spoke to people from across the country. I do know, however, then I tend to emphasize my t's, and I can get a little nasal, especially when excited. I also do a typical "oh my gaaaaaaaaaahhhhd!" when something really grasps my attention.

When I visit friends in South Jersey and Pennsylvania they tell me that I have a Brooklyn accent. Then they tell me it's not really an accent but just the way I say things. Of course it's not noticeable to me at all.

People have told me I have an accent. I never realized it until I went to college and spoke to people from across the country. I do know, however, then I tend to emphasize my t's, and I can get a little nasal, especially when excited. I also do a typical "oh my gaaaaaaaaaahhhhd!" when something really grasps my attention.

"Oh my gawwwwwd!!!!!"

Yeah college does open you to people from all sorts of places

ive been told i speak with a weird accent, i dont think its completely what would be called the "NY accent" though lol

I've heard you speak on a couple of videos. You sound normal to me and I don't think that you have any accent at all.

Archived