Bus drivers please read, for it will help others on this site

Chris Frusci

Answers to questions for people taking the test or just about to get hired:

After you take the test, You will recieve a letter stating you list number. This could be anytime after taking the test. One month and could be up to one year. This is the same for everyone no matter what you scored. FOR THOSE OF YOU TAKING TEST #8006: YOU WILL GET CALLED FAST. Here is why. 7000 people filed for the last exam. Only about 4000 people passed. They are already up to list number 1600 as of feb 21, 2008. At this rate, they will be done with my list (5025) by the end of this year. If they already called 1600 since november, (which is when my list went into effect) just do the math and you will see by the end of this year they could be finished. By early next year, they might be working off your lisy (8006). If you score high, you could be a bus driver in a year and this IS a reality. What to study? DRIVERS ED MANUELS. It turns out they changed the test right before I took it. I remember certain questions because they were so easy and I actually got them wrong. Here were some examples: How far are you allowed to park away from the curb? When driving on a DIVIDED HIGHWAY, if a school bus is stopped on the OPPOSITE SIDE, what do you do?-This question got me bad. The answer is you stop no matter what, even if a school bus IS stopped on a divided highway. The first thing you get called for, is your BOSS survey. When I say called, I mean you get a letter in the mail. The BOSS survey is basically a psychological exam. Its like 500 questions. Its really 100 questions, but they change the wording on each question 5 times just to trick you. Don't sweat it. They ask you questions like, Are you a liar? If your boss scolds you, would you curse him out? After you finish that, you sit and wait for them to call you back (send you a letter) for a drug test. By the way, the place that you go is 180 Livingston Street in Brooklyn. You get there at 7:00 in the morning. After your drug test is done, and assuming you pass, they call you back the next day and they usually leave a message. The message will say, "This is Juanita Chestnut from the mta, you are scheduled to come in March 4th for your medical. Bring food for the whole day. Thank you (click)". You go in for your medical, again get there really early so you can be one of the first out, and you get checked for your hearing, vision and all the basics. When all the medical work is done, you get sworn in (yes actually sworn in, you raise your right hand) and they tell you "Congrats you start April 7 "(or whatever date). Thats the basic process.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hah! You want to come to the dark side? The dark side should be RTO (since it's underground at points), but it's actually surface. Staten Island is a different game than the other 4 boroughs. I hear no reliefs, all pull-out, pull-in. Mainly express buses also. Fact is as a B/O you are T/O and C/R combined. All I can say about the job, is I hate it. You might feel different about it. All we do when talking is talk about the fine women, stupid customers, and our bosses (never positive). You just give it a shot. Remember just cause you drove large trucks doesn't mean you will pass to become a B/O. We had 4 in the bus I trained on. 3 passed. 3 of us had CDLs. Two of us drove buses, the other a box truck. The one who drove the box truck didn't make it. Us two who drove buses did, and the only female made it. She only had a permit, and had to use the bus for the road test. Also you will go into the bus simulator at Zerega. Most get sick and dizzy in it. I never did, and could of done it the whole day.

Just try to ignore alot of the nonsense, and you'll be alright. The rule is 5 years to learn the job. Good Luck future B/O......

thanks dobrto. What does rto stand for? Regular train operator?

DOB2RTO = Department of Buses to Rapid Transit Operations = Bus Operator to Train Operator......

I know a TSS, and he loved being a motorman (train operator). Well thanks for the advice. I'm sure I will hate it.

You might like it, you might tolerate it, you might hate it.......Most fall in between tolerate and hate, so they just tolerate hating it........

Sometime I hate operating a train just like Yesterday on the (C). My first trip I had to cut out a door at the terminal. Then plugged by a (D) do to signal problems at 135 St. I was plugged 145 to 125. Then going back Uptown cought my slow leader at 34 St. They sent them Express and got a load a customers just holding doors causing me to get to the terminal 3 Minutes late. Now I had 34 Minutes for Lunch. Then get back on the train now they got a rail condition at 72 street ALL downtown(A)(C)(D) Train local 145 to 59 St. So it was very slow. Then get to Euclid 4 Minutes late. Well at Euclid since I got to relay the train we (T/O and C/R) have to clean out the train. Well I got a homeless guy who refuses to leave the train until the (A) arrives. Now we call Police with no responce that cost me 8 Minutes. So now my break is down to 15 Minutes before going back uptown. Then back Uptown more customer holding doors and my C/R getting burnt out so now not much I can do with the doors open so 5 Minutes late back Uptown. Now I got 15 Minutes again but my C/R had 26 Minutes because the seperated us. I left on time with another C/R and my C/R went 1 Interval behind. So now I had to get use to a C/R I don't know but lucky this C/R was great because she was going home. Now on my last trip back to 168 I got my regular back and lucky on the same page operation wise but now the towersdecides to hold me at Jay St , 59 , and 125 for Schedule adjustment and connections.

Sometime I hate operating a train just like Yesterday on the (C). My first trip I had to cut out a door at the terminal. Then plugged by a (D) do to signal problems at 135 St. I was plugged 145 to 125. Then going back Uptown cought my slow leader at 34 St. They sent them Express and got a load a customers just holding doors causing me to get to the terminal 3 Minutes late. Now I had 34 Minutes for Lunch. Then get back on the train now they got a rail condition at 72 street ALL downtown(A)(C)(D) Train local 145 to 59 St. So it was very slow. Then get to Euclid 4 Minutes late. Well at Euclid since I got to relay the train we (T/O and C/R) have to clean out the train. Well I got a homeless guy who refuses to leave the train until the (A) arrives. Now we call Police with no responce that cost me 8 Minutes. So now my break is down to 15 Minutes before going back uptown. Then back Uptown more customer holding doors and my C/R getting burnt out so now not much I can do with the doors open so 5 Minutes late back Uptown. Now I got 15 Minutes again but my C/R had 26 Minutes because the seperated us. I left on time with another C/R and my C/R went 1 Interval behind. So now I had to get use to a C/R I don't know but lucky this C/R was great because she was going home. Now on my last trip back to 168 I got my regular back and lucky on the same page operation wise but now the towersdecides to hold me at Jay St , 59 , and 125 for Schedule adjustment and connections.

Im so used to being held and having trains getting crossed in front of me while working that (D)elta i just dont care any more...:cool:

Thanks Chris for posting. I didn't know that the eligibles list was only 4,000 for the last bus exam. I would have thought that the test would have gotten many more applicants,no education requirements,maybe obtaining the cdl is an issue,maybe they dont advertise the exam as much as they do for the nypd. I took the DSNY test last summer,32,000 people took the exam,eligibles list is a little over 29,000. How the local economy is plays a big factor in the number of applicants for a civil service job.

I will be taking the exam #8006 in April,not really sure what to study to prepare for it. I have my cdl b permit and I am currently training at a driving school for my cdl road test next month.

One thing that I have noticed about DOB2RTO posts is that he doesn't complain about the pay. As fas as bus driving jobs go this has to be the highest paying one compared to driving school buses,greyhound,etc. I think that driving a school bus even if only for a few hours a day is way more stressful than driving a transit bus.

Every job has its pros and cons,one has to decide based on that whether or not the job is worth taking.

LOCOMOTION: Here is what to study- a drivers ed manuel. Its a good thing your getting your cdl now. Alot of the questions on the test are taken from the cdl permit test. If you plan on buying the book I PROMISE you, you are wasting your time. I studied the whole book, practically memorized it and ZERO questions were on the test. All drivers ed questions.

The reason only 4000 people passed, was because the questions were not like questions on the sanitation test. I also took the sanitaion test last June 9, my list number is 792. I only got 2 wrong. Yet on the bus drivers test is NOT AS EASY AS PEOPLE THINK. As a matter of fact, it is the hardest city test I have ever taken. The last 20 questions they give you are from a map. They give you a map, and they ask you what bus route would be the quickest route to a specific area. For example,: "If I am at the jacob javits center, which route would I take to get to union square". Don't panic if you don't know where those places are because its all on the map. You just have to look closely. The reason so many people did not pass was because of that part. They did not look hard enough and just gave up. If you have any questions just ask on this post and I will be more than happy to answer them.

BKNITTI: I bought my uniform today. I know all about training. I have a good friend that was in the Jan 21 class and he just got out. He told me everything. Just be smart and do everything they say because not everyone passes. Put it this way, on March 5th, you will be taking the bus on the highways. Mrach 3rd we go to orientation at Zerega. March 4th, we go to 180 livingston again. March 5th, the fun begins with driving. I would love to post up the whole training course on here but I don't have the time...lol. If you have any questions just ask me. My name is Chris Frusci (Froo-shee. Its italian, but rhymes with sushi lol). I will probably see you on the third. WHats your last name? If they call it out or something I will come up to you.

Working with the public is hard............in any occupation. I drove from mayl80-dec'83. The 2 friends that are still driving said it isn't the same.It can be boring,the ta always seems to be out to get you.The first 3-4 years are not pleasant......but once you hit top pay and get a little seniority you can make the job work for you. If you are around 30 that's good.do your 35 and out.By the time you reach top pay it will be at least $30 /HR. that's not bad money for a reasonABLY EASY JOB. IF your personality is one where you let thins /people bother you,this might not be the job for you. Do as a friend did.........he started studying for dispatcher from day1...and did quite well. The ta has a lot of education programs.Go dack to school on their dime! You don't have to stay behind the wheel forever.good luck

One thing that I have noticed about DOB2RTO posts is that he doesn't complain about the pay. As fas as bus driving jobs go this has to be the highest paying one compared to driving school buses,greyhound,etc.

1. School bus drivers in NYC once they catch a run, make what we make at top pay or near it, and get paid 40hrs while working only 20. You have to drag them from behind the wheel, but it takes a while to catch a run.

2. I have complained about the pay, and said we should make more than $30hr, and should be the highest paid, given what we do. We are the Conductor, and Operator combined. We have no barrier between us and the customers. I did say if I was going to drive for a living I would do it for Liberty Lines (Bee-Line). Far superior equipment, hardly ever see a supervisor, nice long runs while making a buck and change less than the crush loaded NYCTA. Saying this, today I seen a Liberty Lines (Bee-Line) driver, yelling at some a-hole in a car along South B'way near diarrhea burger hut. Soon as I seen that, I said I will pass school car. Driving isn't what it use to be. To many people dare you to hit them when you drive a bus, so they do things thinking you can't and won't do anything back.

I bought my uniform today. I know all about training. I have a good friend that was in the Jan 21 class and he just got out. He told me everything. Just be smart and do everything they say because not everyone passes. Put it this way, on March 5th, you will be taking the bus on the highways. Mrach 3rd we go to orientation at Zerega. March 4th, we go to 180 livingston again. March 5th, the fun begins with driving. I would love to post up the whole training course on here but I don't have the time...lol. If you have any questions just ask me. My name is Chris Frusci (Froo-shee. Its italian, but rhymes with sushi lol). I will probably see you on the third. WHats your last name? If they call it out or something I will come up to you.

They make you pay for uniforms (MTA Bus does that)? The training program seems to have changed a little since I got hired.

Working with the public is hard............in any occupation. I drove from mayl80-dec'83. The 2 friends that are still driving said it isn't the same.It can be boring,the ta always seems to be out to get you.The first 3-4 years are not pleasant......but once you hit top pay and get a little seniority you can make the job work for you. If you are around 30 that's good.do your 35 and out.By the time you reach top pay it will be at least $30 /HR. that's not bad money for a reasonABLY EASY JOB. IF your personality is one where you let thins /people bother you,this might not be the job for you. Do as a friend did.........he started studying for dispatcher from day1...and did quite well. The ta has a lot of education programs.Go dack to school on their dime! You don't have to stay behind the wheel forever.good luck

Exactly. Sad thing is I have customers who tell me I am better than their usual driver, but then some days I can get into one of those moods where I don't even crack a smile. Like I said I know I don't want to do this for this agency for a living. The old timers already told us the job isn't the same. The customers have the right to walk over you, and you don't say anything back. That's the new TA motto. Out of the seat is the place to get. But again some people can tolerate the job. As I said some hate it, some tolerate it, some like it, some might even love it (I almost vomited saying that), most tolerate hating it. One thing that does work is just not paying to much attention to the negative. You will absorb it, but just don't pay it no mind behind the wheel. Safely point A to B is the task at hand. Everything else is just a distraction. I also learned to quit counting how many trips I have to go as it makes the day drag longer. The rule is 5 years and you will adjust to the job.

LOCOMOTION: Here is what to study- a drivers ed manuel. Its a good thing your getting your cdl now. Alot of the questions on the test are taken from the cdl permit test. If you plan on buying the book I PROMISE you, you are wasting your time. I studied the whole book, practically memorized it and ZERO questions were on the test. All drivers ed questions.

The reason only 4000 people passed, was because the questions were not like questions on the sanitation test. I also took the sanitaion test last June 9, my list number is 792. I only got 2 wrong. Yet on the bus drivers test is NOT AS EASY AS PEOPLE THINK. As a matter of fact, it is the hardest city test I have ever taken. The last 20 questions they give you are from a map. They give you a map, and they ask you what bus route would be the quickest route to a specific area. For example,: "If I am at the jacob javits center, which route would I take to get to union square". Don't panic if you don't know where those places are because its all on the map. You just have to look closely. The reason so many people did not pass was because of that part. They did not look hard enough and just gave up. If you have any questions just ask on this post and I will be more than happy to answer them.

BKNITTI: I bought my uniform today. I know all about training. I have a good friend that was in the Jan 21 class and he just got out. He told me everything. Just be smart and do everything they say because not everyone passes. Put it this way, on March 5th, you will be taking the bus on the highways. Mrach 3rd we go to orientation at Zerega. March 4th, we go to 180 livingston again. March 5th, the fun begins with driving. I would love to post up the whole training course on here but I don't have the time...lol. If you have any questions just ask me. My name is Chris Frusci (Froo-shee. Its italian, but rhymes with sushi lol). I will probably see you on the third. WHats your last name? If they call it out or something I will come up to you.

Chris:I got 6 wrong on the DSNY test,my list number is in mid #5,000's,hard to believe that around 3,000 people didn't pass the test. Might be at least 2 yrs before they reach my number. Thanks for the advice on what to study for bus operator exam. What about points of interest? landmarks? Do I have to study the bus routes of all the 5 boroughs? When I took my cdl permit tests I passed the air brakes and passenger the first time,failed the general knowledge the 1st time,passed easily the second time.

DOB2RTO: My bad I haven't read all of the posts since this forum started. I should also make it a habit to read a post twice to make sure I understand it. I knew school bus drivers worked less hours but I didn't know they got paid almost at the same level as transit bus drivers. They must have a strong union.

DOB2RTO: My bad I haven't read all of the posts since this forum started. I should also make it a habit to read a post twice to make sure I understand it. I knew school bus drivers worked less hours but I didn't know they got paid almost at the same level as transit bus drivers. They must have a strong union.

Yes, the biggest in NYC (Atlantic Express), is ATU. A driver who I worked with at Campus (retired from AE, and an ex-Vietnam vet), told me of the first massive strike they had, and how they go what is there today. Logan and Consolidated bus, are two who receive this great pay also. Again, it still takes years to get this pay. You will be part-time and broke for awhile, before you get this.

LOCOMOTION: Points of interest - They will give you a map. IT SAID WHERE EACH INTEREST IS ON THE MAP. You do not have to study a bus map. My friend is a complete moron when it comes to directions and his list number is 3200. The only questions (with points of interests or landmarks) I remember was this exact questions: IN WHAT BOROUGH IS PROSPECT PARK? --A- The Bronx---B- Staten Island---C-Brooklyn----D-Queens? The answer is C-Brooklyn, but my friend got that wrong. Basically, if you know where major parks and major buildings are, then you should be fine. Like I said, that is the ONLY question I remember asking points of interest. It will not be as easy as sanitation but still don't panic. I PROMISE YOU, alot of people are going to get like 10-15 questions wrong. I got 9 wrong and when I found out my score was an 86 I thought I was never going to get called. Then I found out my list number was 825. If you get under 5 wrong, your list # will be under 200. My friend Andre Smith got 6 wrong and his list number was 157. Again, this is all 100% true. The fact that you are already studying and eager to get on, that will put you in good shape. Thats what I was like.

Just a quick note: They give you a piece of paper to write your answers on, its usually blue or green. Its a long piece of paper, and it will have up to 150 questions to write your answers on it. You only write the lettered answers on it. Like 1-A. 2-C. 3-B. There is only about 80 questions on the test so you only write up to question 80 obviously. 4 WEEKS AFTER TAKING THE TEST YOU ARE ALLOWED TO CHECK YOUR ANSWERS ONLINE. Here is the exam key url- http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/employment/examkeys.shtml -That is the website you check your answers on. Since you took sanitation, you probably did this when you took that test.

You will do fine. Most of the questions I got wrong were the easy drivers ed questions. I'm no einstein, and Im sure sure my friend Andre and the rest of the people are not. You will probably end up taking the test in manhatten like I did. Second avenue and 57th street. Anyway, keep me posted, and any question you have please feel free to ask.

Chris

Hi everyone, My name is Calvin and I'm 21 years old. I'm considering becoming a B/O until I land a job within my career field (Criminal Justice). I started driving school buses in Sept 07 for First Student in Poughkeepsie. I trained there and got my CDL through them. Is the training any different for someone who already a CDL vs. someone who doesn't? For anyone that can answer this, is driving a school bus very different from one of the regular transit buses like the RTS? I didn't take my long to get used to driving a school bus, so Im hoping i'd be the same for a transit bus. Are thier any pre-trip procedures specific to transit buses? I believe I learned a standardized pre-trip during my training, so I know the basics.

Thanks in advance.

LOCOMOTION: Points of interest - They will give you a map. IT SAID WHERE EACH INTEREST IS ON THE MAP. You do not have to study a bus map. My friend is a complete moron when it comes to directions and his list number is 3200. The only questions (with points of interests or landmarks) I remember was this exact questions: IN WHAT BOROUGH IS PROSPECT PARK? --A- The Bronx---B- Staten Island---C-Brooklyn----D-Queens? The answer is C-Brooklyn, but my friend got that wrong. Basically, if you know where major parks and major buildings are, then you should be fine. Like I said, that is the ONLY question I remember asking points of interest. It will not be as easy as sanitation but still don't panic. I PROMISE YOU, alot of people are going to get like 10-15 questions wrong. I got 9 wrong and when I found out my score was an 86 I thought I was never going to get called. Then I found out my list number was 825. If you get under 5 wrong, your list # will be under 200. My friend Andre Smith got 6 wrong and his list number was 157. Again, this is all 100% true. The fact that you are already studying and eager to get on, that will put you in good shape. Thats what I was like.

Just a quick note: They give you a piece of paper to write your answers on, its usually blue or green. Its a long piece of paper, and it will have up to 150 questions to write your answers on it. You only write the lettered answers on it. Like 1-A. 2-C. 3-B. There is only about 80 questions on the test so you only write up to question 80 obviously. 4 WEEKS AFTER TAKING THE TEST YOU ARE ALLOWED TO CHECK YOUR ANSWERS ONLINE. Here is the exam key url- http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/employment/examkeys.shtml -That is the website you check your answers on. Since you took sanitation, you probably did this when you took that test.

You will do fine. Most of the questions I got wrong were the easy drivers ed questions. I'm no einstein, and Im sure sure my friend Andre and the rest of the people are not. You will probably end up taking the test in manhatten like I did. Second avenue and 57th street. Anyway, keep me posted, and any question you have please feel free to ask.

Chris

Thanks Chris,very helpful information. I would figure that I would take the test in my home borough Queens,but it is ok I live near mass transit if the test is in Manhattan. I have a bad sense of direction as well,worst fear of being a transit bus driver is getting lost,seems like the new hires run different routes.

Question for any bus operator out there,has there even been a case where a mta bus operator just abandoned his bus and quit? Not at the depot,during his run with passengers on board. I realize the high turnover rate. Read a story where a Greyhound driver pulled into a truck stop on the NJTpke and left,never to come back,passengers had to wait almost 2 hrs for another driver to get there.

LOCOMOTION: You would never have to worry about getting lost because you will know the routes before you drive them. After you come out of regular training (3 weeks), you do another 3 weeks of something called "line training". Line training is when you learn all of the regular routes in the depot. So when you get out of line training, they put you on something called the "extra list". That means you will be working a different route everyday. You will only drive the routes you know, because you drove them all in line training.

Archived