Bus drivers please read, for it will help others on this site

Chris Frusci

That makes sense,thanks Chris. Obviously they send you to the depot where they need you and not the one that you want to go to. How long does it take before you get your set route?

I practiced straight backing and parallel parking this morning on the school bus. Took me a few times to get the hang of it.

Ck51010:I have only taken 4 hours of driving lessons on a school bus so far and it is easy for me in terms of handling the bus,making turns,etc. I am going a little slower than other vehicles on the streets(25mph). I would think that it is harder to drive a transit bus,much heavier and longer.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOCOMOTION: Today was my first day of training (3-3-08). Alot of people there were school bus drivers. They were explaining how it is completely different. Its ok to get you license while practicing on a school bus, but once you get into the mta the only things that will be similar are the pre-trip inspections. The wheels on a city bus are on the back, not in the middle like a school bus. So the turn is a little different.

BKNITTI: Mr Hamlin, I heard your name get called. Your going to manhattenville depot for training. They announced everyone. Good luck. Hope to see you on graduation day.

Hi Chris, I just read your message and it really helped a lot. I too took test 5025 and I just got called to take the BOSS test in feb. I thought that after taking this test it would not be as long to wait. You took it last May!! I guess I may have to wait another couple of months. Thanks for letting me know what I should be prepared for. When do you have to go through your background with them? What do they ask? I dont have any points on my license, but I got let go from a job 2 years ago because I had an accident. I hope that does not hurt me. Well good luck, I have heard good things and bad things about being a driver, but I have had good jobs and bad ones too. Thanks again good luck and let us know how it is going.

Hey I called today to ask about the eligible list for test 5025, they said they were up to number 678...how could this be if you said you were already called and you're number is in the 800's? Thanks for all the info Chris.

Jacquie

I just called again too, I got number 1400 as well....thank goodness. The lady this morning was obviously wrong when she said 678...you said you just got called for boss, when do you get called for that? My husband is number 3810, you think he will be called for that soon?

I am new to all of this and have many questions. When they say they are up to list number 1400, does that mean they are already in the mta ? A friend of mine had list number 2907 and he had to go take the Boss exam on 2-26. This is all so confusing!! I had also put in for exam 2801 and got a random number and am waiting for that too.

What was exam 2801? Is that another Bus Operator exam? Your friend got called, that is close to my husband's number, I wonder if he will get called for Boss soon. When did he find out he had to go to the Boss, a few weeks before the actual BOSS test? Yea, I definitely get very confused to with all of this stuff!

Exam 2801 was for the Mabstoa. Although I think theya re the same as the Mta, I know I read the difference somewhere in this forum. It was an exam that was a random pool, I didn't have to take the civil service exam, just the BOSS. which I did the other day. My friend was notified to take the Boss exam just 10 days before the exam, so I think your husband's number will be coming up soon. Good luck

Hi. Here is the deal. You will probably get called quicker than I, if you are taking the boss exam now. Remember, when I took the boss exam may of 07, the list wasn't even established yet. There are people in my class with list numbers in the 1400's, which means if they are calling people down for their medicals, it has to be from 1500-2000 :hence the 1600 that I was told:.

Also, Mabstoa is ta as well. You will be in the same class as us. There are people from mabstoa in our class now. Any questions just mail me on the site or post up another post. Thanks.

Chris

Hey Chris,

When I called this morning, the woman first told me that they were up to number 678..then I called a lil while later and got number 1400. Is this the number they have actually hired up until or called down for medicals, boss, etc?

they are wrong. I PROMISED you in the e-mail, and I will promise you again. THERE ARE PEOPLE IN MY CLASS WHOSE LIST NUMBER IS OVER 1500. They really dont know.

TRUE STORY: I called them jan 2 (they were off jan 1st) and they said they only called the top 500 for their medical. 2 days later I got called. Dont go by them. Go by people on this site. You have to get called for the medical first, before you go in the class.

Once you get called for the medical, you are basically 3 weeks away from starting the class.

Just wanted to thank you for taking time to write to others who seem to be in the dark (like me) I guess we are all trying to get answers and this is the best place to find them. i know they are up to 1600 on the list for the exam 5025 and i am not sure of the list number for the 2801. I took the BOSS exam on 2-26 and someone said I should here form them in about two months. Just hate the waiting. thanks again for all your help and patience . I hope everything is going well with your training. Good luck

I was the first B/O on this site (IIRC), and now we have alot more. Congratulations to those of you who made it, and for those of you still training, listen, suck up your pride, and learn what they teach you. We need 1200 new operators for MTA Bus, MaBSTOA and TA combined. Sunday those line training started on their own, and their is a new class starting line training now in Kingsbridge. I had a probie bring me my bus 10 minutes late, while my leader got his 15 minutes late. This was Sunday night, and Monday I had the same probie bring me the bus 10 minutes late again. Can't get mad, because we were all there once. When I started I had a probie for my leader, and helped them out, and the probie who brought the bus to me Sunday and Monday, I helped out Monday, as he was my leader after his break. It is the Bx41 so I understand. That line nearly broke me. I was going to actually quit. 1200 operators here is the reason why. The 20/50 is ready to be signed. Here is the gripe though. We the union (we = those who pay their dues), have to give up the 50- nearly 70hrs runs. All runs would become 40-45hrs. That would create alot more runs, plus they want to extend lines, which now that increases times, and you need buses in between those times.

As for training. MTA Bus pays for their official uniforms. TA and MaBSTOA does not. We only pay for the blue shirt and pants you buy for training. School buses are different than driving a transit bus, but transit buses and OTR coaches are basically the same. I can say I drove all three (most of the time in a 45ft MCI D4500, Van-Hool T2145, or MCI E4500). 60ft artics are a different ball game. Alot more customers, which = alot more aggravation, for $.25 or .0125cents extra per additional foot.

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't another test, cause they will go through these lists quickly. As for the list #'s, they don't know squat. I can tell you that first hand. You might of read what I've been through with them. Their and DCAS (for those who apllied to TA) idiocracy will cost some seniority.

Thanks for all the great info , this site is wonderful! I too am in the dark about the whole process. Another question I have is, what does it mean to have "outstanding certification" when I called the automated line that's what it said for my husbands test.

Jacquie

Thanks for all the great info , this site is wonderful! I too am in the dark about the whole process. Another question I have is, what does it mean to have "outstanding certification" when I called the automated line that's what it said for my husbands test.

Jacquie

That means he is on the list to have a letter sent out to him to come down for the LAB. LAB is a drug, alcohol, and diabetes test. They use a chemical strip to dip in the urine sample to check for high sugar.

He didnt get anything about the BOSS yet though, does this matter. For some reason I thought you do the BOSS first then the drug testing.

The only thing he would get from the BOSS is he passed or he didn't. If he is on the Outstanding Certification then he most likely passed the BOSS.They don't put those who failed on that list, but then again it's DCAS and/or the MTA, so anythings possible. Most likely he passed though.

No I mean he didn't even get a letter to go down and take the boss yet. So sholdn't he get the letter to go for the BOSS first before the drug testing? I am unsure of all this, thank you!

Jacquie

This doesn't make sense. Yes the BOSS comes before you are put on an outstanding certification. They do mess things up, and possibly put his list # in accidentally, and put in he passed the BOSS. I would say he if he gets called for the LAB and haven't taken the BOSS to milk it. But then they might realize their mistake and want to make him take it after he gets hired. Then he would lose alot of seniority.

I just read you said he took it in April 2006 for exam 5025. If he took that one then that is why he is on the Outstanding Certification.

Archived